I’m finally joining the Classics Club and the Buckeyes Win!!

I’ve eyed this challenge for years, but have always had enough sense to resist, but NO MORE!  I’m feeling confident and pumped up after my Ohio State Buckeyes kicked butt last night and beat #1 Alabama.  Sorry, still riding a little high 🙂

The rules are that I have to read 50 classics in 5 years time.  I have to make a list (this is often where I’ve stalled out in the past) and to do this I have to define what classic means for me.  I think a classic is something that stands the test of time and has something to say.  I will use an arbitrary number of 25 years, so anything before 1990 (just typing that makes me feel old). The list can be changed as the years go on, but I think I’ll start with the classics that are sitting on my shelves right now, many of them for years. Take a look and tell me which one I should read first.

1. The Color Purple by Alice Walker

46. 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

47. The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

48. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

49. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

50. The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

January 2, 2015 - Posted by | challenges | , ,

1. I’ve been tempted to join this so many times! I just can’t bring myself to commit to reading 50 books in five years. Maybe if it was more of a perpetual challenge . . . Or half that. LOL I wish you the best of luck with the challenge, Stacy. It’s a good goal to have.

Comment by Literary Feline | January 2, 2015 | Reply

2. I’ve thought about joining so many times, but always back out. I think if you could set the number of classics you read and not have to commit to 50, I’d be more apt to join.

I wish you luck with the challenge!

Comment by Vicki | January 2, 2015 | Reply

3. I’ll be rooting for your Buckeyes on the 12th!

Comment by BermudaOnion | January 2, 2015 | Reply

4. So many good ones there- good luck!

Comment by R Hunt | January 2, 2015 | Reply

5. Welcome to The Club, Stacy! Excellent list.

Comment by lakesidemusing | January 2, 2015 | Reply

6. Good luck! I may commit next year but you have me pondering my next batch of classics to read!

Comment by Heather | January 3, 2015 | Reply

7. Good luck, Stacy! A worthy goal, says the woman who secretly runs from classics. That being said, I notice that Agatha Christie’s AND THEN THERE WERE NONE is on your list. Read that one. Or NINE COACHES WAITING.

Wanted to say hello to you after a really long time of being away from blogging. I am rejoining this world and say hi to friends. I invite you to visit my new blog – kay’s reading life. I’ve missed your quizzes and movie posts and especially hearing about Gage. Hope you have a happy new year!! And good luck to the Buckeyes!

Comment by Kay | January 3, 2015 | Reply

8. GO BUCKEYES!!!! I’d read Night First or The Color Purple. I’ve enjoyed Allende’s books before but haven’t read that one. I heard her speak at my university almost a decade ago now that I think about it ha! Roll of Thunder I read as a kid…and Revolutionary Road was very blah to me. Good luck!

Comment by The Many Thoughts of a Reader | January 3, 2015 | Reply

9. Good luck with your challenge. 🙂

I’m doing the PopSugar challenge and have joined a group for it on Goodreads. So far it’s got me reading Emma and Pride and Prejudice. 🙂

Comment by clicksclan | January 4, 2015 | Reply

10. Welcome to the club! Jude the Obscure is incredibly powerful. – Melissa

Comment by The Classics Club | January 5, 2015 | Reply

11. I’ve read several on your list, but a couple of faves are The Moonstone, Mists of Avalon and anything by Christie or Doyle. But if I were you I’d start with a couple of short ones, just to mark a few off the list.

Comment by Carol | January 5, 2015 | Reply

12. What a great challenge and a big commitment … good luck! I’ve read quite a few on your list, but I’d start with a couple of the easier reads to get your momentum going. The Secret Garden or 84, Charing Cross Road.

Comment by Teddyree | January 7, 2015 | Reply

13. Zipping through your list, these stood out to me: (no particular order)

And Then There Were None
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
    Lord of the Flies
    Night

Good Luck! 🙂

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | January 11, 2015 | Reply

14. I spent two years resisting the Classics Club too, but when I learned you can change your list as you go, and that rereads can count too, I joined! That was last January, and so far it is going really well. My list is up to like 70 books, but when I have read 50, I plan to just put all the extras on a new list and start over. Because by then my list will probably be 100, lol.

I like your selections! I see several that are on my list too, and some old favorites. I suggest starting with The Hound of the Baskervilles or Christy.

Comment by hamlettethedame | January 11, 2015 | Reply

15. […] bah humbug! I chose this universally loved short book for my first Classics Club read and now I’m not sure if I’m even going to count it.  Is it too short? Should it be […]

Pingback by 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff « Stacy's Books | January 22, 2015 | Reply

16. […] I’m finally joining the Classics Club and the Buckeyes Win!! […]

Pingback by Are you on GoodReads? | Write on the World | February 28, 2015 | Reply