After many years of hosting this meme The Broke and the Bookish has passed it on to one of their own, Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl.
This week it’s all about favorite bookish quotes. I love this! I have a love for quotes that I write and keep close and when I started looking at my favorite book list I didn’t have to go far. All of these are from the book To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This classic published in 1960 still has so much to say to us today. Which is your favorite? I’ve highlighted a few of mine.
1. “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view… Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
2. “Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.”
3. “The one place where a man ought to get a square deal is in a courtroom, be he any color of the rainbow, but people have a way of carrying their resentments right into a jury box. As you grow older, you’ll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don’t you forget it – whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash.”
4. “Real courage is when you know you’re licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.”
5.“Things are always better in the morning.”
6. “Atticus—” …said Jem bleakly. “How could they do it, how could they?”
“I don’t know, but they did it. They’ve done it before & they did it tonight & they’ll do it again & when they do it— seems that only children weep.”
7. “Courage is not a man with a gun in his hand. It’s knowing you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.”
8. “It’s not necessary to tell all you know. It’s not ladylike- in the second place, folks don’t like to have somebody around knowin’ more than they do.”
9. “Before Jem looks at anyone else he looks at me, and I’ve tried to live so I can look squarely back at him.”
10. “Just remember that sometimes, the way you think about a person isn’t the way they actually are.”