The Enemy by Lee Child and why you should be reading the Jack Reacher series

The Enemy (Jack Reacher Series #8)The Enemy. Finished 1-21-13, rating 4/5, 464 pgs, pub. 2004

Book 8 in the Jack Reacher series (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3) (Book 4) (Book 5) (Book 6) (Book 7)

She had lived through desperate times and she had stepped up and done what was necessary.  At that moment I started to miss her more than I would have thought possible.  At that moment I knew I would miss her forever.  I felt empty.  I had lost something I never knew I had.

Chapter 19

Jack Reacher, loner extraordinaire, wasn’t always such a hard man.  There was a time when he had a job, a family and friends.  He was a star in the military police force and he was content with life.  This story of his time at Fort Bird was quite a departure for Reacher and I liked it but Reacher didn’t feel completely known to me either.  This is a military police procedural with some mom and brother time thrown in for fans.  His mother’s storyline was powerful.  I liked the change of pace, but am looking forward to the roaming Reacher with nothing but a toothbrush to take on the world.

Why should you be reading the Jack Reacher series?  Because he’s alpha male dreamy.  He isn’t held back by rules but is ruled by what is good and just and he’s not afraid to get his hands dirty in the pursuit of justice.  He’s a tall, commanding man who, if you count the number of women he’s charmed out of their clothes, knows his way around a woman’s body.  Wonder if I can get Reacher to take a bus to Cleveland?

I found this paperback on my shelf and was ready to read it after seeing the Jack Reacher movie.

January 23, 2013 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. I’ve read every Reacher book ever published…he is the ultimate anti-hero. I suspect that he might smell bad though, since he only gets a change of clothes when the old ones get ripped or bloody. I loved this installment because we got to meet his family and got to see him when he still worked (for that reason I also loved The Affair). I am boycotting the movie though because Tom Cruise is NOT Reacher. Not even close. Makes me sick. I am ready for the series to take some kind of turn though. This toothbrush in the pocket and a girl in every city is getting a little old.

Comment by Sandy | January 23, 2013 | Reply

• Since I just read this one, Reacher is still relatively fresh for me. Like with any series, no matter how beloved, I do think there needs to be closure when the time is right. I’m feeling that way about Lucas Davenport right now.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 10, 2013 | Reply

2. My husband loves these books! I *like* them but they seem sort of comic book-y to me. But there are definitely times when one needs a comic-book-y read!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | January 23, 2013 | Reply

• I don’t think comic book-y is bad, although this one didn’t feel that way at all to me. I am looking forward to the next one.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 10, 2013 | Reply

• I don’t think it’s bad too because they are a great “go-to” book when you want a diverting read to which you don’t have to pay a lot of attention and which is reliably page-turner-y! :–)

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | February 10, 2013

3. I’m listening to my first Reacher ever – The Affair – and so far, I like it but don’t feel like I know Reacher at all.

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | January 23, 2013 | Reply

• It takes awhile to ‘get” Reacher because he so much is reading between the lines. I didn’t really become attached to him until a few books into the series.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 10, 2013 | Reply

4. LOL Not sure if I’d want to be on a bus with Jack Reacher as it always leads to trouble!

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | January 23, 2013 | Reply

• But trouble can be very exciting~

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 10, 2013 | Reply

5. THe first one in the series is on hold at my library….I’m like #47, so it’ll be a while. But looking forward to reading it and then watching the movie!

Comment by hmsgofita | January 23, 2013 | Reply

• Well, the movie is based on #9 so no need to read the first. Unless you want to get a feel for the character.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 10, 2013 | Reply

6. I’m wanting to read the Jack Reacher books, but I haven’t picked them up yet. Glad to hear you liked them!

Comment by Word Lily | January 23, 2013 | Reply

7. I’m determined to read a Jack Reacher novel this year. My aunt loves them.

Comment by kelley | January 24, 2013 | Reply

8. I love Reacher and need to get back to this series. I will NEVER watch the movie version…ever 😀

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | January 24, 2013 | Reply

• I’m guessing you aren’t a Tome Cruise fan 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 10, 2013 | Reply

9. So, in your opinion, is Tom Cruise Jack Reacher? I really can’t imagine he is.

Comment by Jenners | January 24, 2013 | Reply

• Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher BUT he did an okay job, I thought. Note nearly as bad as I’d feared.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 10, 2013 | Reply

10. I remember reading your love of the Reacher series before. What a gem to find on your shelves 🙂

Comment by jennygirl | January 25, 2013 | Reply

11. I need to catch up on the earlier Lee Child books as I started with the last few!

Comment by notesoflifeuk | January 28, 2013 | Reply

12. I just found Reacher a few years ago. I know, where have I been! I jumped right in with the most recent book but now I’m thinking I should go back to the beginning of the series.

Comment by Leslie | January 30, 2013 | Reply

• I think you have to go back to the beginning, but then I think that with every series!

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 10, 2013 | Reply

13. […] Book 9 of the Jack Reacher series (Killing Floor) (Die Trying) (Tripwire) (Running Blind) (Echo Burning) (Without Fail) (Persuader) (The Enemy) […]

Pingback by One Shot by Lee Child « Stacy's Books | March 19, 2014 | Reply

14. […] (Killing Floor) (Die Trying) (Tripwire) (Running Blind) (Echo Burning) (Without Fail) (Persuader) (The Enemy) (One […]

Pingback by The Hard Way by Lee Child « Stacy's Books | May 14, 2015 | Reply