Echo Burning, by Lee Child

Echo Burning (Jack Reacher Series #5)Finished audio 4-11-11, 3.5/5, fiction, pub. 2001

Unabridged audion read by Dick Hill, 13 Hours

Jack Reacher series book #5 (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3) (Book 4)

Jack Reacher, loner extraordinaire, has hitched his way to Texas and run into Carmen, damsel in distress.  Carmen has a request for Reacher.  She needs him to kill her husband.  Reacher is unsure if he believes her story of abuse but once he meets her young daughter he decides to work at her ranch to see for himself.  There he finds a domineering family and his presence alone brings out their worst behavior.  So, what happens when fists and bullets start flying?

Jack Reacher is a hard man, a drifter, and a man you’d want on your side in any kind of fight.  He’s man who has no problem killing, if rightly deserved and tries to help those weaker than him who are being picked on or bullied.  I wasn’t sure about him in the first book but then fell for him in the next few.  The problem with this book, for me is that I never really felt any emotional attachment to Reacher, which is odd since I love the character.  So, for me, this one fell flat.  The story was boring and even Reacher made my mind drift as I was listening to this one.

The reader, Dick Hill, did a fine job, but I wonder if the voices that he used for the two women in the book, Carmen and Alice, made me dislike them both, at least a little.

If you haven’t read a Jack Reacher book you should, but don’t start with this one.

I checked this audio out of the library.

April 13, 2011 - Posted by | 3 1/2 Star Books |

1. I’ve just read one book in the Jack Reacher series. I don’t remember its name, but I had the same problem as you with the book – I couldn’t connect to Reacher or like him even a little.

Comment by Misha | April 13, 2011 | Reply

• Yeah, the first one left me not sure about Reacher, but I really started to like him in the next few after that.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 19, 2011 | Reply

2. Oh yes. In my experience, a narrator can do all sorts of damage! I literally just listened to one that ruined it entirely. I wouldn’t have been thrilled with the book had I read it, but my rating would certainly have been higher without all the dramatics of the narrator. I feel your pain, Stacy. :/

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | April 13, 2011 | Reply

• I’m glad I;m not the only one! I do feel bad that it does affect my rating but sometimes it is a positive so maybe it evens out!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 19, 2011 | Reply

3. I haven’t read any of these books, but would definitely want to start with the first one.

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 13, 2011 | Reply

• Absolutely!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 19, 2011 | Reply

4. The plot sounds like it would be suspenseful – but if the delivery is boring then that’s no good 😦

Comment by Stephanie D. | April 13, 2011 | Reply

• It wasn’t really the delivery that was boring, the plot did little to excite me.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 19, 2011 | Reply

5. I’ve heard of this series, but haven’t read any.

Comment by Carol | April 14, 2011 | Reply

• If you like the John SAndford series I think you’d like this one too.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 19, 2011 | Reply

6. I read one Jack Reacher book (One Shot) and it was a good and mild diversion buts I haven’t read one since. I can see these as being a once every few years type of read.

Comment by Jenners | April 14, 2011 | Reply

• They are very much just fun, fast reads.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 19, 2011 | Reply

7. Good to know. I haven’t tried this author so I’ll have to check him out…but a different book I guess.

Comment by Amused | April 14, 2011 | Reply

• Start with the first one, Killing Floor.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 19, 2011 | Reply

8. I’ve read the first one and liked it but I haven’t went any further in this series. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment by Staci | April 16, 2011 | Reply

• I think the next few are better than the first, so read on!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 19, 2011 | Reply

9. Excellent web-site yours faithfully Julee Gambler

Comment by zfnikkijamesl3 | June 16, 2011 | Reply

10. […] Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Echo Burning by Lee Child, Women on the Edge of a Nervous Breakthrough by Ruth […]

Pingback by Challenging Year « Stacy's Books | December 31, 2011 | Reply

11. […] Reacher series, Book 6 (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3) (Book 4) (Book 5) “A handshake isn’t enough,” she said.  “You’re going to do it for […]

Pingback by Without Fail, by Lee Child « Stacy's Books | January 25, 2012 | Reply

12. […] 7 in the Jack Reacher series (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3) (Book 4) (Book 5) (Book […]

Pingback by Persuader, by Lee Child « Stacy's Books | February 27, 2012 | Reply

13. […] 8 in the Jack Reacher series (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3) (Book 4) (Book 5) (Book 6) (Book […]

Pingback by The Enemy by Lee Child and why you should be reading the Jack Reacher series « Stacy's Books | January 23, 2013 | Reply

14. […] 9 of the Jack Reacher series (Killing Floor) (Die Trying) (Tripwire) (Running Blind) (Echo Burning) (Without Fail) (Persuader) (The […]

Pingback by One Shot by Lee Child « Stacy's Books | March 19, 2014 | Reply

15. […] Reacher series #10  (Killing Floor) (Die Trying) (Tripwire) (Running Blind) (Echo Burning) (Without Fail) (Persuader) (The Enemy) (One […]

Pingback by The Hard Way by Lee Child « Stacy's Books | May 14, 2015 | Reply