One Shot by Lee Child

One Shot (Jack Reacher Series #9)One Shot. Finished audio 3-19-14, rating 4.25/5, thriller, pub. 2005

Book 9 of the Jack Reacher series (Killing Floor) (Die Trying) (Tripwire) (Running Blind) (Echo Burning) (Without Fail) (Persuader) (The Enemy)

Unabridged audio 12 hours.  Read by Dick Hill.

Six shots. Five dead. One heartland city thrown into a state of terror. But within hours the cops have it solved: a slam-dunk case. Except for one thing. The accused man says: You got the wrong guy. Then he says: Get Reacher for me. And sure enough, from the world he lives in–no phone, no address, no commitments-ex-military investigator Jack Reacher is coming.  Reacher’s arrival will change everything–about a case that isn’t what it seems, about lives tangled in baffling ways, about a killer who missed one shot-and by doing so give Jack Reacher one shot at the truth….
from Goodreads

Oh Reacher, you wily devil you.  Reacher, ex-military, loner with a taste for justice, is only found when he wants to be.  He heads to the midwest from Florida so that he can make sure that the soldier who escaped punishment in the service gets his just rewards as a mass murdering civilian.  Only Reacher is also being sought for murder and he has to keep moving to stay one step ahead of those who are trying to kill him.

I always enjoy reading about Reacher’s antics and seeing where he’ll end up, since the world is his home.  This is one of the more solid thrillers and a good standalone for non Reacher readers.  I can see why they chose this one to base the first movie on (come back Friday for my comparison of the two).  The cast is good, lots of moving targets and bad guys, solid police work and Reacher only gets one short roll in the hay so it doesn’t take over the story.

I checked this audio out of the library and it is read by Dick Hill, who has read all of Lee Child’s books I’ve listened to, and he has become Reacher for me.  He almost makes me want to listen to them all instead of reading!

I’m curious.  With a show of hands, who has read a Reacher book OR seen the movie?

March 19, 2014 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. This was my favorite that I have read of the Reacher books. But we were just on a trip and Jim was trying to pick out one for the plane ride back, and neither one of us could figure out which ones we read and which ones we didn’t, and we decided it didn’t really matter all that much! :–)

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | March 19, 2014 | Reply

• LOL, it probably doesn’t matter that I read them in order, but I can’t stop myself. This is one of the better ones.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 31, 2014 | Reply

2. I read maybe the first 4 and then stopped. But I really liked the series. I have no idea why I stopped. The movie, as I know you remember, created a big brouhaha because of Tom Cruises’s size. He’s about 9 or 10 inches shorter than Reacher. Besides that, the movie was only fair.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | March 19, 2014 | Reply

3. Oh I’ve read them all. I have a really hard time remember one from the other, but I especially like the ones that go back in time. There was one where he was still an MP, one where we meet his brother, one where he recently left the military. I like those. I have not seen the movie, nor will I. I am quite a religious zealot when it comes to Reacher’s essence and his physical demeanor. Tom Cruise is not Reacher. So I’ve boycotted it. Cruise can kiss my ass, all 5’6″ of him.

Comment by sandynawrot | March 19, 2014 | Reply

• Heeheehee. I saw the movie at the theater more in support of Lee Child than for any desire to see Tom as Jack.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 31, 2014 | Reply

4. I am curious to give these books a shot. This sounds like a fun series. 🙂

Comment by Pamela D | March 19, 2014 | Reply

• It takes a couple of books to get a feel for Jack. And there’s lots of killing.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 31, 2014 | Reply

5. I’ve only read one Reacher book – The Affair – and I didn’t quite “get” him. I need to go back and read some of the older books.

Comment by BermudaOnion | March 19, 2014 | Reply

• It’s hard to get a feel for Jack and I do think it takes a few books, but even then he’s a hard character to crack. You just haveto enjoy the ride 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 31, 2014 | Reply

6. I’ve read and or listened to all the Reacher books. I did see the movie, and didn’t hate it as much as I thought I would. But, Tom Cruise is NOT Jack Reacher.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | March 19, 2014 | Reply

7. I have read a few Reacher books and just watched the movie this past weekend. I thought the movie was pretty lame

Comment by shelleyrae @ Book'd Out | March 19, 2014 | Reply

• The movie lacked zing or chemistry, something that the books definitely have.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 31, 2014 | Reply

8. Great review Stacy. This sounds like a good one to start with since it is good as a stand alone. I haven’t read any of his books, but they sound interesting.

Comment by postingfornow | March 21, 2014 | Reply

• I do think this is good standalone, better than the others I;ve read for sure.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 31, 2014 | Reply

9. I read Killing Floor and haven’t had a desire to read another book of his. Have you read all of those?

Comment by kelley | March 21, 2014 | Reply

• I’ve read the first 9 and will continue on. I read Killing Floor and wasn’t sure I would continue either but each book does add one more nuance to Reacher and I like that.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 21, 2014 | Reply

10. I haven’t read any of the books or seen the movie, but I’m really picky when it comes to good audio book narrators. I’m going to check and see if Dick Hill has narrated any other books other than the ones in this series.

Comment by Vicki | March 22, 2014 | Reply

• I know he’s done other books I’ve read, maybe try this one 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 31, 2014 | Reply

11. I haven’t read this book but I did read a few others in the series and liked them. I saw the movie, and while Tom Cruise did a good job, he’s not who I think of when the image of Reacher comes to mind.

Comment by Leslie | March 25, 2014 | Reply

• Totally agree. Tom was ok but no Reacher. But more than that the movie failed in lots of ways.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 31, 2014 | Reply

12. I listened to another Reacher novel Dick Hill narrated and enjoyed it. Killing Floor, I think it was. I’ve read another of the author’s books in the series. I’m still on the fence about the series. I wish Reacher appealed to me more.

Comment by Literary Feline | March 25, 2014 | Reply

• I don’t think Reacher appeals to everyone. I actually think I prefer the audios because they are engaging and fast reads where I can miss things here and there and be ok.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 31, 2014 | Reply

13. […] Jack Reacher series #10  (Killing Floor) (Die Trying) (Tripwire) (Running Blind) (Echo Burning) (Without Fail) (Persuader) (The Enemy) (One Shot) […]

Pingback by The Hard Way by Lee Child « Stacy's Books | May 14, 2015 | Reply