Without Fail, by Lee Child

Without Fail (Jack Reacher Series #6)Finished 1-24-12, rating 4.5/5, thriller, 549 pages, pub. 2002

Jack Reacher series, Book 6 (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3) (Book 4) (Book 5)

“A handshake isn’t enough,” she said.  “You’re going to do it for us.”  Then she paused.  “And you were nearly my brother-in-law.”

He said nothing.  Just nodded and shuffled out from behind the table and glanced back once.  Then he headed up the stairs and out to the street.  Her perfume was on his hand.  He walked around to the cabaret lounge and left a note for his friends in their dressing room.  Then he headed out to the highway, with ten whole days to find a way to kill the fourth-best-protected person on the planet.

Chapter 1

Series Main Character– Jack Reacher.  Many series have a main character or two and many recurring characters.  This series only needs one, loner extraordinaire, Reacher.  He’s a badass.  He makes his way around the country righting wrongs and fighting injustices.  He doesn’t have a home, an ATM card, close friends, but he does have a heart and lots of confidence.  He’s retired military police so he knows his stuff and his talents and he is not afraid to give into his baser instincts for vengeance.  Oh, and he absurdly attractive to women.  Me included.

Story– His dead brother’s ex-girlfriend works for the Secret Service and she is in charge of  protecting the Vice President elect.  When he begins receiving death threats, Froelich tracks down Reacher to help her figure out if they could do it.  Reacher brings in an old military friend, Neagley and the two of them start tracking the would be assassins.

How it stacks up-This is right up there with the best of the series so far.  I love good political intrigue and this was a fun look inside the Secret Service.  The pseudo history with Froelich and the comfortable friendship with Neagley made this one more appealing than some of the others.

Who should be reading this series– A must read for anyone who likes a great fast-paced thriller.

This was from my personal library.

January 25, 2012 - Posted by | 4 1/2 Star Books |

1. I do have some of this series Stacy but haven’t made a start, just not enough hours in the day. I’m a bit ‘anal’ about reading in order so will have to make sure I have the first few. I’m glad this series continues to impress; I do love fast paced thrillers 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | January 26, 2012 | Reply

2. Oh my, it sounds like I need to experience Jack Reacher!

Comment by BermudaOnion | January 26, 2012 | Reply

3. You know what? I am so like the reader above…I have to read in order…have to! and so…I have the first in the series and then once I get started I know I won’t be able to stop…Can’t wait, actually:)

Comment by pinkim95 | January 26, 2012 | Reply

4. I missed this one! I love the ones with political themes though so I will definitely look for this title at the next library sale!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | January 26, 2012 | Reply

5. I’ve never read any of this series. Sound like Reacher is an awesome character.

Comment by Carol | January 26, 2012 | Reply

6. I love Jack Reacher! I am glad to you like this series too. I just brought home The Affair.

Comment by Nise' | January 26, 2012 | Reply

7. I love fast-paced thrillers so I know I need to get going with Lee Child!

Comment by Kathleen | January 26, 2012 | Reply

8. I liked this series but just never kept up with it!! Glad to know that this one was good!

Comment by Staci Collins Taylor | January 27, 2012 | Reply

9. I think my last comment went to your spam…sorry! I don’t know what is going on with my Gravatar!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | January 27, 2012 | Reply

10. I really want to read more in this series. So glad to see that you are continually enjoying it.

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | January 28, 2012 | Reply

11. I’ve only read the latest 3 books in the Jack Reacher series… I really should go back and start at the beginning!

Comment by Nikki-ann | January 28, 2012 | Reply

12. I just about this series somewhere else tonight. Political thrillers are not me, but with a super hot guy? I may change my policy.

Comment by jennygirl | January 28, 2012 | Reply

13. I’ve only read one of the Jack Reacher books so far. The descriptions of him just cracked me up. I wonder why these books haven’t been made into a movie yet!?

Comment by Jenners | January 29, 2012 | Reply

14. I havent read any of his books. I should probably give the Reacher series a try.

Comment by caspette | February 4, 2012 | Reply

15. […] Book 7 in the Jack Reacher series (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3) (Book 4) (Book 5) (Book 6) […]

Pingback by Persuader, by Lee Child « Stacy's Books | February 27, 2012 | Reply

16. […] 8 in the Jack Reacher series (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3) (Book 4) (Book 5) (Book 6) (Book […]

Pingback by The Enemy by Lee Child and why you should be reading the Jack Reacher series « Stacy's Books | January 23, 2013 | Reply

17. […] of the Jack Reacher series (Killing Floor) (Die Trying) (Tripwire) (Running Blind) (Echo Burning) (Without Fail) (Persuader) (The […]

Pingback by One Shot by Lee Child « Stacy's Books | March 19, 2014 | Reply

18. […] Reacher series #10  (Killing Floor) (Die Trying) (Tripwire) (Running Blind) (Echo Burning) (Without Fail) (Persuader) (The Enemy) (One […]

Pingback by The Hard Way by Lee Child « Stacy's Books | May 14, 2015 | Reply