Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton

Title: Ethan Frome, Author: Edith WhartonEthan Frome. Finished 9-30-16, rating 5/5, classics, 181 pages, pub. 1911

Ethan Frome works his unproductive farm and struggles to maintain a bearable existence with his difficult, suspicious, and hypochondriac wife, Zeena. But when Zeena’s vivacious cousin enters their household as a “hired girl”, Ethan finds himself obsessed with her and with the possibilities for happiness she comes to represent.

In one of American fiction’s finest and most intense narratives, Edith Wharton moves this ill-starred trio toward their tragic destinies. Different in both tone and theme from Wharton’s other works, Ethan Frome has become perhaps her most enduring and most widely read novel.     from Goodreads

I’m amazed at how much Wharton was able to accomplish in such a slim novel.  I think I saw the previews for the last Ethan Frome movie that came out in the 90’s and thought it looked so boring.  The barren earth with unhappy people didn’t really inspire, but once I started reading this I was hooked.

The narrator of the story meets Ethan after the bulk of the story takes place and what a story of unhappiness to tell. Don’t let that scare you off though. Sit down with a cup of tea on a chilly day and read it all in one sitting.  It will make an impact.  Loved it.

This was my 11th selection for the Classics Club and I need to pick up the pace if I hope to finish 50 by 2020!

December 6, 2016 - Posted by | 5 Star Books

1. I am so not a Classics person. But I’m impressed that you are.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

Comment by Lloyd Russell | December 6, 2016 | Reply

• Well, I try! I did get my degree in English Ed so I think it comes with he territory.

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 6, 2016 | Reply

2. My sister moaned and groaned when she had to read this book in high school so I’ve always avoided it. It sounds like I need to check it out.

Comment by BermudaOnion | December 6, 2016 | Reply

• I probably would have complained in high school too 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 6, 2016 | Reply

3. It might sound odd but this is a fave Wharton book for me. She is very dark.

Comment by Diane | December 7, 2016 | Reply

4. I’m yet to read any of Wharton’s books but I keep saying I will. This sounds like an interesting read so I’ll add it to my list to look out for. 🙂

Comment by clicksclan | December 7, 2016 | Reply

5. Ethan Frome is one of my all time favorites. The characters are just a mess, which I tend to be attracted to. There often seems to be more depth to a story which involves messy people.

Comment by B.B. Toady | December 8, 2016 | Reply

6. One of my faves to read and to teach. Love the symbolism.

Comment by James Conroyd Martin | December 8, 2016 | Reply

7. I read this in high school and can’t remember a thing about it other than the title; not even whether I liked it or not. I’m not sure what that says about my memory!

Comment by Leslie | December 12, 2016 | Reply

• Happens to me all the time 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 12, 2016 | Reply

8. I’ve tried to read Wharton before with no success. But this one sounds very doable for me.
    thanks for the review 🙂

Comment by Jennygirl | December 18, 2016 | Reply

9. […] Ethan Frome – Edith Wharton & After You – Jojo Moyles […]

Pingback by End of the Year Survey « Stacy's Books | December 27, 2016 | Reply

10. […] read 3 books for the Classics Club. I have 3 years to finish 39 more. (Ethan Frome, The Bluest Eye, Up From […]

Pingback by 2016 Book Favorites and Stats « Stacy's Books | December 29, 2016 | Reply