2014 Book Favorites and Stats

Books

I read 59 books this year (that’s 3 more than last year!), 23 of them being audio books.

Fiction 46, Non-fiction 13 (that’s 1 less non-fiction book than last year, surprised!)

Female authors 39, Male authors 20 (on par with last year)

This year I tried to read authors that I already knew and loved but I did manage to read 15 new to me fiction authors and that’s a good thing since 4 of them ended up on my favorite list!

Series books- continuing series 13 (Jack Reacher, Sarah Woolson, Kathryn Dance, Kinsey Millhone, Vanessa Michael Munroe, Lincoln Rhyme, Bailey Weggins, Robert Langdon, Milan Jacovich), new series 4 (Blue Heron, Cormoran Strike, All Souls Trilogy, Andy Hayes)

Oldest book read? Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Longest book? A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness at 579 pages

Most read author? Taylor Stevens (4-The Innocent, The Doll, The Vessel, The Catch)

Least Favorite book? The Invisible Man by HG Wells

Best audio book?  The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith, read by Robert Glenister

My 5 favorite books this year

Gift from the SeaGift from the Sea

I cannot possibly do this book of poetic beauty justice.  The views of Lindbergh can be considered old-fashioned and antiquated, and they are, but that should not diminish the truth behind her words.  As women, we all still struggle with finding time alone, relationships, midlife, aging.  This slim memoir is to be savored one small chapter at a time and by those who can appreciate that it was written in a different, but no less significant period.  Lindbergh lived a privileged (and in some ways tragic) life, but her words can be appreciated by every woman.  I set aside time to fully appreciate each chapter with no outside noise or time constraints (a difficult task), and felt that I had visited and been restored by the sea.

The Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress: A NovelThe Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress

This book really did have a little bit of everything. There were really bad bad guys, politicians without morals, the glitz of New York City, sexy showgirls, hardworking people trying to better themselves, lies, heartbreak, and, of course, murder.  I loved it.

The Best ManThe Best Man

This was not all light and breezy, there were some somber issues like guilt, class, and abandonment and that added a nice layer to the story. The only thing keeping this from a higher rating is the mention Faith’s ‘rack’ more than once.  But the tone and characters of the book left me happy and looking forward to the next in the series!

The Storied Life of A. J. FikryThe Storied Life of AJ Fikry

I spent a few years working in bookstores and loved the experience and, most importantly, the people I worked with.  Book people are the best kind of people, diverse in all ways but their love for the written word.  So, it is no surprise that I loved this book about small town bookstore owner, A.J. Fikry.

The House We Grew Up InThe House We Grew Up In

The Birds, thanks to matriarch Lorelei, are a colorful and life-loving family.  Lorelei loves to savor the beautiful moments and because she attaches these moments to actual objects in her mind the Bird home slowly starts to collect more things than it needs.  When tragedy strikes and dysfunction ensues, the clutter becomes something much worse.

December 31, 2014 - Posted by | Uncategorized |

1. I feel like I read more than the average person but when I see all these “best of” lists I realize I’m not reading all that much. I haven’t read a single book on your list.

Comment by BermudaOnion | December 31, 2014 | Reply

• You are reading way more than the average person there are just SO MANY good books 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 1, 2015 | Reply

2. Thanks for sharing your stats and favorites list Stacy. It looks like you’ve had a great year!

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | December 31, 2014 | Reply

• I meant, I haven’t read the final one (The Book of Life) yet.

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | December 31, 2014 | Reply

• I’ll probably continue on to #2 but they are just so long!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 1, 2015

3. I enjoyed reading your stats, I’ll have to keep a track of mine for the coming year. I’ve started entering all the books I’ve read going back to 2011 onto Goodreads so hopefully that’ll help.

This year I’m using the Popsugar Reading Challenge list to help me find more books to read and I’m looking forward to pushing myself to find books I wouldn’t otherwise have read.

Comment by clicksclan | December 31, 2014 | Reply

• I enterered all of my books back to 2001 to Goodreads. And I do add an older book that I remember or love when I can. Love Goodreads!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 1, 2015 | Reply

4. I started The Storied Life of AJ Fikry but didn’t get very far. I think I need to start it again since there are so many people who loved it.

I think I’d enjoy Gift from the Sea!

Comment by Vicki | December 31, 2014 | Reply

• Some books that everybody else loves just don’t work for me so I wouldn’t sweat over AJ. He has has enough fans 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 1, 2015 | Reply

5. Amazing you could get all that reading done with your house and mom stuff!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | December 31, 2014 | Reply

• Well it would have been 36 without audio books and participating in one Read-a-Thon did the trick since I read 5 books (all short).

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 1, 2015 | Reply

6. The Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress made my list, too! I liked A.J. Fikry, but didn’t love it like most other readers… maybe because I read it immediately after We Are Not Ourselves (a tough act to follow). I remember enjoying A Gift From the Sea years ago. Like Jill, I’m amazed you read so many books 🙂

Comment by lakesidemusing | January 1, 2015 | Reply

• We Are Not Ourselves seems to be on a lot of lists this year!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 1, 2015 | Reply

7. I totally agree on AJ Fikry! And I just added Wife, Maid, Mistress and House I Grew Up In to my to-read list.

Comment by booksandmoviescarriek | January 1, 2015 | Reply

• I think you’ll like both, Carrie!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 2, 2015 | Reply

8. Both Wife, Maid & Mistress and Storied Life made my list. I hope to get it posted tomorrow. Happy New Year Stacy.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | January 1, 2015 | Reply

9. I didn’t even finish the one audio book I was listening to all last year. I haven’t decided yet if I want to continue listening to it or if I should just read the book. I should probably stay away from long audio books given how little time I have to listen to them.

I enjoyed reading your post, Stacy! I really want to read The Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress and The Storied Life of AJ Fikry.

I hope you have a wonderful New Year!

Comment by Literary Feline | January 2, 2015 | Reply

• I find that short audios are the key. I try to stay around 8 hours , but will make exceptions. Without them I’d barely have enough to blog about!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 2, 2015 | Reply

10. My favorite book this year was probably I’ll be Seeing you by Suzanne Hayes…

Comment by The Many Thoughts of a Reader | January 3, 2015 | Reply

11. The only one of your favorites I read was The Storied Life of AJ Fikry. I liked it but not as much as a lot of others did.

Comment by Leslie | January 6, 2015 | Reply

12. Those books sound really good. I’ll have to look some of them up and see if I can read them this year.

Comment by kelley jensen | January 6, 2015 | Reply

13. YAY for audiobooks!! Kristan Higgins’ Blue Heron series is on my read list for this year, so I’m glad the first made your favourite list. Also have The House We Grew Up In. So many good books and so little time. That Taylor Steven’s series is on my wishlist too 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | January 7, 2015 | Reply

14. I liked AJ, but it didn’t make my favorites. I’ve been wanting to read the Lindbergh book, so I’m happy to see it was a winner for you. Haven’t heard of The W, M & M. I’ll have to look into that one.

Other news. . . I’m sooooo looking forward to the next football game!!! 🙂

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | January 11, 2015 | Reply

15. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is on my shelf, and seeing it on your list means I have to try and make time for it this year. So many books, so little time! Great list!

Comment by Anna | January 17, 2015 | Reply

16. […] 2014 Book Favorites and Stats […]

Pingback by Visual Fridays: 10 Longest Books in the World | InstaScribe | January 22, 2015 | Reply