Another year and another year of QUIZZES, this being the 6th year of Quizzes here at Stacy’s Books. If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll join in this year. The more the merrier (and the more fun).
Here’s the nitty-gritty that I’ll only post this once.
I post the quiz Wednesday before noon and you have until noon on the next Tuesday to submit your answers as a Comment. I will hide comments on a regular basis.
The winner is the person with the most points at the end of each round (usually 5 months or so) and he or she will win a prize AND I’ll randomly draw a name from the rest of the participants to receive a prize too! So, you only have to get one question right to be eligible for a prize.
The winner will receive a Barnes & Noble gift card based on how many people participate. 30 participants= $30, 52=$52…So, the eventual winner could be you and you want as many people to guess as possible!
A few rules
1. No cheating. No googling or looking at other commenter answers. Yes, we’re going by the honor system 🙂
2. Your first answers will be the only ones accepted.
3. Play every week or just one time, you are always welcome 🙂 It only takes once to be eligible for a prize.
Okay, now that all of that is out of the way let’s get started. Let’s see if you know any of these writers who died in 2014.
Writers lost in 2014
1. This Columbian Nobel Prize winner died in Mexico City at the age of 87 and 100 years of mourning commenced. Gabriel Garcia Marquez
2. This caged bird lived 86 years and was the first poet to recite a poem at a Preisdential Inauguration since Robert Frost and she wrote seven very successful autobiographies. Maya Angelou
3. Best known for young adult literature, this fallen angel wrote over 100 books and won the Coretta Scott King Award for African-American authors five times. Walter Dean Myers
4. Phyllis was a British mystery author, well-known for her series about a Scotland Yard police commissioner and poet. PD James
5. (pic) This British author wrote and illustrated this beloved kids book series. Or you can give me the name of the other kids book author who wrote a series about a big red dog. Eric Hill and Norman Bridwell
6. This late bloomer knew where the heart was as soon as Oprah chose her first book. She only wrote three more before her death at 76. Billie Letts
7. This South African activist and author became one of July’s people when she died at the age of 90. Nadine Gordimer
8. His plain(song) novels were all set in Holt, Colorado. Kent Haruf
9. This British author helped create the romantic suspense genre with her gothic romances and her Merlin series. She went on to the crystal cave at 97. Mary Stewart
10. This ex-American spy won the National Book Award in both fiction and non-fiction before passing away at the age of 86. Now the snow leopard is travelling through snow country. Peter Matthiessen