Writers Lost in 2014 Quiz – guessing closed

Another year and another year of QUIZZES, this being  the 6th year of Quizzes here at Stacy’s Books.  If you haven’t already, I hope you’ll join in this year.  The more the merrier (and the more fun).

Here’s the nitty-gritty that I’ll only post this once.

I post the quiz Wednesday before noon and you have until noon on the next Tuesday to submit your answers as a Comment.  I will hide comments on a regular basis.

The winner is the person with the most points at the end of each round (usually 5 months or so) and he or she will win a prize AND I’ll randomly draw a name from the rest of the participants to receive a prize too!  So, you only have to get one question right to be eligible for a prize.

The winner will receive a Barnes & Noble gift card based on how many people participate. 30 participants= $30, 52=$52…So, the eventual winner could be you and you want as many people to guess as possible!

A few rules

1. No cheating.  No googling or looking at other commenter answers.  Yes, we’re going by the honor system 🙂

2. Your first answers will be the only ones accepted.

3. Play every week or just one time, you are always welcome 🙂  It only takes once to be eligible for a prize.

Okay, now that  all of that is out of the way let’s get started.  Let’s see if you know any of these writers who died in 2014.

Writers lost in 2014

1. This Columbian Nobel Prize winner died in Mexico City at the age of 87 and 100 years of mourning commenced.  Gabriel Garcia Marquez

2. This caged bird lived 86 years and was the first poet to recite a poem at a Preisdential Inauguration since Robert Frost and she wrote seven very successful autobiographies.   Maya Angelou

3. Best known for young adult literature, this fallen angel wrote over 100 books and won the Coretta Scott King Award  for African-American authors five times.   Walter Dean Myers

4. Phyllis was a British mystery author, well-known for her series about a Scotland Yard police commissioner and poet.   PD James

5. (pic) IMG_1959[1]This British author wrote and illustrated this beloved kids book series.  Or you can give me the name of the other kids book author who wrote a series about a big red dog.   Eric Hill and Norman Bridwell

6. This late bloomer knew where the heart was as soon as Oprah chose her first book.  She only wrote three more before her death at 76.  Billie Letts

7. This South African activist and author became one of July’s people when she died at the age of 90.   Nadine Gordimer

8. His plain(song) novels were all set in Holt, Colorado.   Kent Haruf

9. This British author helped create the romantic suspense genre with her gothic romances and her Merlin series.  She went on to the crystal cave at 97.   Mary Stewart

10. This ex-American spy won the National Book Award in both fiction and non-fiction before passing away at the age of 86.  Now the snow leopard is travelling through snow country.   Peter Matthiessen

January 14, 2015 - Posted by | Quizzes

1. Oh gosh, I wasn’t expecting a quiz and now I have to be honorable and not come back later and answer these. My mind is still fuzzy from just waking up, hmm. Let’s try!

1. Carlos de la Ruiz (I know I butchered his name here)
    2. Maya Angelou
    5. Oh I should know this 😦 Carl something
    6. Billie Letts
    9. Mary Stewart
    10. Vince Flynn?

Comment by View From My Home | January 14, 2015 | Reply

• 40 points!! I had to check and make sure I hadn’t missed Vince Flynn but he died in 2013.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 21, 2015 | Reply

2. Yay, the quizzes are back!

1. Gabriel Garcia Marquez

6. Billie Letts
    8. Kent Haruf?
    9. Mary Stewart
    10.

Good luck everyone!

Comment by Kay | January 14, 2015 | Reply

• So great to have you back Kay 🙂 50 points!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 21, 2015 | Reply

4. What fun! I know a few of these.
    1. Gabriel Marie Marquez
    2. Maya Angelou
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. The other author is Norman Bridwell
    6. ?
    7. ?
    8. Kent Haruf
    9. ?
    10. ?

Comment by hamlettethedame | January 14, 2015 | Reply

5. I’m going to try . . .

1. Gabriel García Márquez
    2. Maya Angelou (<3)
    3. Walter Dean Myers (or is it Meyers? I can't remember the spelling)
    4. P.D. James (<3)
    5. Norman Bridwell (loved those books when I was growing up.)
    6. Billie Letts (I need to read one of her books!)
    7. Nadine Gordimer
    8. Kent Haruf (I think that's the right spelling)
    9. Mary Stewart
    10. Peter Matthiessen

I totally guessed on a couple, so I hope I'm right.

Comment by Literary Feline | January 14, 2015 | Reply

• You got them all right!! 100 points!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 21, 2015 | Reply

6. 1. Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    2. Maya Angelou
    3. Walter Dean Myers
    4. PD James
    5. Eric Hill
    6. Billie Letts
    7. Nadine Gordimer
    8. Kent Haruf
    9. Mary Stewart
    10. Peter Matthiessen

Comment by Word Lily | January 14, 2015 | Reply

• A perfect score to start 2015 🙂 100 points!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 21, 2015 | Reply

7. New year, new quizzes! Yay! I like the way you put some hints in this time.

1 –
    2 – Maya Angelou
    3 –
    4 – PD James
    5 –
    6 –
    7 –
    8 –
    9 –
    10 –

Comment by BermudaOnion | January 14, 2015 | Reply

8. Jeez, I know a lot of them, but they’re all named either “What’s-His-Name” or “What’s-Her-Name.” I suppose that doesn’t count….

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | January 14, 2015 | Reply

9. 1. Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    2. Maya Angelou
    3. ???
    4. P.D, James
    5. Oh that’s easy..The author of Clifford the Big Red Dog (and series) was Norman Bridwell (a childhood fave!)
    6. Billie Letts
    7. ???
    8. ???
    9. Mary Stewart (another fave…my boys and I are reading The Crystal Cave)
    10. Peter Matthiessen (I have several of his books…I need to read them. :/ )

Comment by thetruebookaddict | January 15, 2015 | Reply

• 70 points! How cool that you are currently reading The Crystal Cave! I have a few of her books but still haven’t read them.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 21, 2015 | Reply

10. don’t know too many …
    2. Maya Angelou
    3. arghh can’t think of his name … he wrote Monster?
    5. Eric Hill … my boys loved Spot and I just bought more Spot books for my granddaughter. Loved Clifford too … Norman Bridwell
    9. Mary Stewart

Comment by Teddyree | January 20, 2015 | Reply

• 40 points! Myers did write Monster so I’m giving you both of the kids authors 😉 Shhhhh, don’t tell anyone.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 21, 2015 | Reply