Pin It and Do It – Kid Play & Fun Food

Trish’s Pin It & Do It Challenge

I decided to jump in at the easiest level and try a few things for Gage.  Pinterest is a great place to find toddler activities.  The two I tried are going to seem silly because they’re so basic, but the truth is that the easiest and most basic things rarely occur to me!

First up a Gage activity.  My original pin is here.  The original post is here.  Basically it’s a basket activity that helps fine motor skills.  You put lots of different containers that open in various ways in a basket (I used his dry water table), show him how each one opens and then let him play.  Here’s the set up

The beauty of this activity is how simple it is.  I spent 15 minutes going around the house collecting things and this translated to about 20 minutes of fun for Gage.

Here’s a picture with his favorite, the bubbles bottle

Do you see the concentration?  There were some he couldn’t do on his own, but by showing him how maybe he’ll be able to do it next time.  He did have fun and I collected it all to bring out another day.  I’ll see what other goodies I can add.

The key for these types of activities is the presentation (I’ve seen some sites call it the invitation).  This and the alphabet box were successful in part because I presented them as something special and he recognized that.

Now on to the food portion.  This was also for kids, but, hey, maybe you want to surprise your husband tonight, LOL.

This picture is from Cake From the Soul, although I’m not sure if she’s the originator.  My pin is here.

I fixed this last night for dinner and it works!  Cut some hot dogs (we used nitrite-free turkey dogs), poke the thin spaghetti through and boil.  Easy peasy.  I think this would be great for older kids.  Gage was not all that impressed.  He did eat some but it was definitely more fun for me to make than for him to eat 🙂

15 thoughts on “Pin It and Do It – Kid Play & Fun Food

1. BermudaOnion says:

He is really concentrating on that bubble lid and I can tell he wasn’t impressed with your culinary efforts. I used to put a little soap and water in the kitchen sink and give Vance a bunch of plastic containers and let him have at it. It would keep him busy for a long time. He would make a mess but it was totally worth it.

2. readinginthemountains says:

I finally tried a few of my pins out recently too. I made cinnamon sweet bread (yum) and some egg-less cookie dough balls (I’m not completely sure I liked them). More over I was glad I actually used something from pinterest.

3. Trish says:

LOVE IT!!! I’ve seen those hotdog things around Pinterest for over a year now and I’m thrilled to see someone made them. Maybe in a few years Gage will truly appreciate. 😉 And such a sweet picture of him opening that bottle!

I really need to get on Pinterest and find some activities for Elle. I’m terrible about just toting her around with me on the weekends because home is so boring (also praying for cooler weather soon so we can actually spend time outside).

4. Jenners says:

I agree — the simplest things often work the best but they don’t always occur to you. I was the same way!!! And I totally have to try that hot dog/spaghetti thing — it looks so crazy!

5. Teddyree says:

LOL the spaghetti hotdog idea is so cool, my boys would have loved that, I’m sure Gage will in another year or two. Cute photos of the basket activity, Gage was obviously fascinated with it!

6. Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) says:

My daughter would have loved those hot dogs. Maybe I’ll try that one day when she’s being really picky. I bet she’d have fun making them herself. I think it’s cute to see how hard he is concentrating. You can tell he’s a smart cookie.