Sundays with Gage – Dada in the house

(Hey, look at what dad lets me do!  Is that poison ivy?)

As some of you already know in April we found out that Jason would be out of a job by October 1.  The reality was August 1.  After eight years he was back on the streets with the job seekers.  We weren’t worried (really!).  The company provided a nice severance package and we were looking forward to the family time. This month has been great for us all.

Jason is able to enjoy some free time.  This is great for a guy who’s had some kind of job since he was 14.

I am a much better mother when I have support.  Suddenly it isn’t completely up to me to entertain the little man.  We can split some of the time and share others.  I am better rested, much less stressed, more patient and happier.  I don’t know how single moms do it.  Jason was gone from 7 am-6:15 pm and that was a long day, but to have no live-in support would be very hard.

As much as Gage loves his mom he may love his dad just a bit more.  Daddy loves guy stuff, is way more lenient than mommy, and doesn’t seem to stress out as much.  It has been heartwarming to watch the two of them together.  Gage loves that we are both home.  He likes seeing us both come in and get him in the mornings and after naps.

When people told me they were worried for us I smiled.  We were enjoying every minute!  But good things can only last so long and Jason has a new job he’s really excited about and he’ll go back to work at the end of the month.  (sigh)  We’ve been blessed to have the month and equally blessed that Jason found a job in Cleveland, so we don’t have to move.

I don’t know who will be more sad when Jason goes back to work, me or Gage, but I’m pretty sure that first week back will be an adjustment for both of us!

August 19, 2012 - Posted by | Gage

1. The three of you must have had a wonderful month together! What a gift of family time. No doubt it will be hard on everyone when Jason returns to work, but in this awful economy, I’m sure y’all are relieved too.

Comment by Beth Hoffman | August 19, 2012 | Reply

• There is a nice feeling of security!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

2. It sounds like this was a blessing for you. I’m so glad Jason found a new job so quickly!

Comment by BermudaOnion | August 19, 2012 | Reply

3. What a real treasure to be able to have Jason home for a month with no stress! I’m sure he loved it too. When I had my first son I had to work so I didn’t get to spend any quality time with him except for weekends. After getting remarried and having my youngest, I was able to stay home that first year. OMG! I missed so much with my oldest and I absolutely loved having that time with both of my boys!! I wish there was a way that all parents could experience this if they wanted to (some would rather be at work). I’m thrilled that Jason has a new job and no moving is in the near future!! 😀

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | August 19, 2012 | Reply

• There are certainly benefits to being a SAHM, but many days we wish we had a least a part-time job 😉

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

4. I remember once being laid off and never enjoying it because I was too worried about finding a new job, so it is just wonderful that Jason has gotten to use his time as a “vacation”!!! And how great for Gage!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | August 19, 2012 | Reply

• We were lucky that we were stress-free.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

5. Wonderful post! how nice that you had no worry and could enjoy the time! Also, how wonderful that Jason was able to find another job so quickly and in the area so that you won’t have to move:)I know this time will be missed when he goes back to work! Just both of you hang on to it as a beautiful memory:)

Comment by pinkim95 | August 19, 2012 | Reply

• Yes, the month will be remembered (and missed) fondly.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

6. It o like everyone benefited from a situation that could have been very traumatic. But then you and Jason have good heads and hearts and positive attitudes.

Comment by Stephanie D. | August 19, 2012 | Reply

• It ended up being a nice surprise for us. Now he’s back to the grind 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

7. It looks like everyone benefited from a situation that could have been very traumatic. But then you and Jason have good heads and hearts and positive attitudes.

Comment by Stephanie D. | August 19, 2012 | Reply

8. You had the best of both worlds and I think it’s because you were so positive about it. Glad Jason found a job and got to spend time with you and Gage. And you’re staying put. Couldn’t have worked out better 🙂

Comment by jennygirl | August 19, 2012 | Reply

• Well, we could’ve moved somewhere warmer or with less snow, LOL.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

9. So happy you both got some together time and Jason got a break quickly as well. Have a great week STacy. job

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | August 19, 2012 | Reply

10. You’re so good to have seen the “glass half full” when Jason was out of work – wonderful family time! Yes, it will be an adjustment when he returns to a new job, but your glass is still half full, as you observe, since you’re able to stay in Cleveland. Special weekends ahead!

Comment by Dawn - She Is Too Fond of Books | August 19, 2012 | Reply

• He started back to work this week. I had happily forgotten how long the days are!

11. So I guess this means you won’t be relocating to CA? 😉
    Seriously…glad you guys got that month of family time AND that Jason found a new job. Yay!!

Comment by softdrink | August 20, 2012 | Reply

• A relocation would have been nice too. Maybe not the lifeguarding job though.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

12. Sounds like you had some great time together. And that’s great the Jason found a new job and you can stay in Cleveland.

Comment by Carol | August 20, 2012 | Reply

• I was surprised to find that I might have actually missed this place.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

13. Wow – lots of good things here. Whenever I changed jobs I tried to take as much time inbetween and never could figure out why people don’t. But whatever. I am really not cut out for the corporate-climb-crap, (obviously).
    Cleveland is on my fun-cities-to-visit someday list…

Comment by Care | August 20, 2012 | Reply

• Cleveland is a nice place to raise a family. And we’re hosting Bouchercon this year!!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

14. Such wisdom – we are all better when we have support. I stopped trying to be Wonder Woman a long time ago.

We are lucky to have such great dads for our sons.

Comment by thebumbles | August 20, 2012 | Reply

• Absolutely. It would be great if we could get all of our guys together one day!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

15. I’m so glad you three have had the time together. I love the way you and Jason support one another. Gage is one lucky boy.

Comment by Gage's Grandma | August 20, 2012 | Reply

16. So glad you got that family time together! So glad that things have worked out. Gabe is definitely a daddy’s boy. Sometimes I get a bit disheartened but don’t stress out too much about it. Yay!

Comment by Heather | August 21, 2012 | Reply

• I don’t mind that he loves his daddy so much. I get more smiles and hugs and laughs just because I get more time with him, so it kind of evens out 😉

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

17. How wonderful, Stacy! Congratulations to your husband on his new job. Although I know you’ll all miss the family time you’ve enjoyed this month. I am glad you were all able to have the time together and I’m sure Gage is better for it.

I know what you mean about it being so much easier with the two of you! Mouse loves having the two of us home with her when she can–she’s definitely my girl right now, but she does love her dad and prefers it when we can all be together.

Comment by Literary Feline | August 21, 2012 | Reply

• It’s good for the kid and the parents when they can all be together.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

18. I’m glad you had this lovely interlude …. and that it wasn’t so long and led to years of unemployment. You are blessed!

Comment by Jenners | August 21, 2012 | Reply

19. Such an amazing attitude 🙂 With a newborn right now, I agree with you – I don’t know how single mums do it!!

Comment by christa @ mental foodie | August 21, 2012 | Reply

• I am in such awe of them since I’ve had Gage.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

20. What great news! There was time spent together and now a new job where you don’t have to move. Perfect!

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | August 22, 2012 | Reply

21. Although neither Scott nor I are home with Elle during the day I can relate to much of what you talk about here Stacy–being a better mother with support and perhaps the babe caring a teeny tiny bit more for dad. Both of these things make me a little sad–but I tried to do it all and I failed. Miserably. So I’ve learned to rely on Scott for all the help that I can get and it works well for us. I’m not sure why I had it in my head that moms needed to bear more of the parenting weight than dads (although there are some things that just don’t translate as well for dad as they do for me…emotional things, etc).

Congrats on Jason’s new job and I hope that the transition to the quieter house is a good one…or at least a smooth one.

Comment by Trish | August 22, 2012 | Reply

• So far so good. You did not fail. As long as Elle knows you love her you are doing exactly what she needs.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 30, 2012 | Reply

22. OK so I am now the big 30 I have a wonderful husband we have been married for 9 years (lucky him)!! he loves to hunt and fish which happens usually all year long,but wouldn’t change it.We have a son,gage who is 8 and hope maybe someday to have another,but gage is the best thing that has ever happened to us,he just makes us laugh at all times.Life is great right now I love to work outside doing just about anything and there is always something to do. I am blessed to be able to stay at home and not work so I am always there for my family!

Comment by Panama | August 24, 2012 | Reply

23. So glad it all worked out for your family and you had a whole month of quality and quantity time together! When my boys were little (3 of them under the age of 4 1/2) there were days I watched the clock, praying for it to move faster so my hubby would get home! Everyone needs a break no matter how much you love your kids. And it’s nice to slow down the hectic pace and just be together too. Happy to hear the job situation worked out as well!

Comment by Wrighty | August 30, 2012 | Reply