Sundays with Gage – Dada in the house

(Hey, look at what dad lets me do!  Is that poison ivy?)

As some of you already know in April we found out that Jason would be out of a job by October 1.  The reality was August 1.  After eight years he was back on the streets with the job seekers.  We weren’t worried (really!).  The company provided a nice severance package and we were looking forward to the family time. This month has been great for us all.

Jason is able to enjoy some free time.  This is great for a guy who’s had some kind of job since he was 14.

I am a much better mother when I have support.  Suddenly it isn’t completely up to me to entertain the little man.  We can split some of the time and share others.  I am better rested, much less stressed, more patient and happier.  I don’t know how single moms do it.  Jason was gone from 7 am-6:15 pm and that was a long day, but to have no live-in support would be very hard.

As much as Gage loves his mom he may love his dad just a bit more.  Daddy loves guy stuff, is way more lenient than mommy, and doesn’t seem to stress out as much.  It has been heartwarming to watch the two of them together.  Gage loves that we are both home.  He likes seeing us both come in and get him in the mornings and after naps.

When people told me they were worried for us I smiled.  We were enjoying every minute!  But good things can only last so long and Jason has a new job he’s really excited about and he’ll go back to work at the end of the month.  (sigh)  We’ve been blessed to have the month and equally blessed that Jason found a job in Cleveland, so we don’t have to move.

I don’t know who will be more sad when Jason goes back to work, me or Gage, but I’m pretty sure that first week back will be an adjustment for both of us!

43 thoughts on “Sundays with Gage – Dada in the house

1. Beth Hoffman says:

The three of you must have had a wonderful month together! What a gift of family time. No doubt it will be hard on everyone when Jason returns to work, but in this awful economy, I’m sure y’all are relieved too.

2. Staci@LifeintheThumb says:

What a real treasure to be able to have Jason home for a month with no stress! I’m sure he loved it too. When I had my first son I had to work so I didn’t get to spend any quality time with him except for weekends. After getting remarried and having my youngest, I was able to stay home that first year. OMG! I missed so much with my oldest and I absolutely loved having that time with both of my boys!! I wish there was a way that all parents could experience this if they wanted to (some would rather be at work). I’m thrilled that Jason has a new job and no moving is in the near future!! 😀

3. rhapsodyinbooks says:

I remember once being laid off and never enjoying it because I was too worried about finding a new job, so it is just wonderful that Jason has gotten to use his time as a “vacation”!!! And how great for Gage!

4. pinkim95 says:

Wonderful post! how nice that you had no worry and could enjoy the time! Also, how wonderful that Jason was able to find another job so quickly and in the area so that you won’t have to move:)I know this time will be missed when he goes back to work! Just both of you hang on to it as a beautiful memory:)

5. jennygirl says:

You had the best of both worlds and I think it’s because you were so positive about it. Glad Jason found a job and got to spend time with you and Gage. And you’re staying put. Couldn’t have worked out better 🙂

6. Dawn - She Is Too Fond of Books says:

You’re so good to have seen the “glass half full” when Jason was out of work – wonderful family time! Yes, it will be an adjustment when he returns to a new job, but your glass is still half full, as you observe, since you’re able to stay in Cleveland. Special weekends ahead!

7. Care says:

Wow – lots of good things here. Whenever I changed jobs I tried to take as much time inbetween and never could figure out why people don’t. But whatever. I am really not cut out for the corporate-climb-crap, (obviously).
    Cleveland is on my fun-cities-to-visit someday list…

8. thebumbles says:

Such wisdom – we are all better when we have support. I stopped trying to be Wonder Woman a long time ago.

We are lucky to have such great dads for our sons.

9. Gage's Grandma says:

I’m so glad you three have had the time together. I love the way you and Jason support one another. Gage is one lucky boy.

10. Heather says:

So glad you got that family time together! So glad that things have worked out. Gabe is definitely a daddy’s boy. Sometimes I get a bit disheartened but don’t stress out too much about it. Yay!

11. Literary Feline says:

How wonderful, Stacy! Congratulations to your husband on his new job. Although I know you’ll all miss the family time you’ve enjoyed this month. I am glad you were all able to have the time together and I’m sure Gage is better for it.

I know what you mean about it being so much easier with the two of you! Mouse loves having the two of us home with her when she can–she’s definitely my girl right now, but she does love her dad and prefers it when we can all be together.

12. Trish says:

Although neither Scott nor I are home with Elle during the day I can relate to much of what you talk about here Stacy–being a better mother with support and perhaps the babe caring a teeny tiny bit more for dad. Both of these things make me a little sad–but I tried to do it all and I failed. Miserably. So I’ve learned to rely on Scott for all the help that I can get and it works well for us. I’m not sure why I had it in my head that moms needed to bear more of the parenting weight than dads (although there are some things that just don’t translate as well for dad as they do for me…emotional things, etc).

Congrats on Jason’s new job and I hope that the transition to the quieter house is a good one…or at least a smooth one.

13. Panama says:

OK so I am now the big 30 I have a wonderful husband we have been married for 9 years (lucky him)!! he loves to hunt and fish which happens usually all year long,but wouldn’t change it.We have a son,gage who is 8 and hope maybe someday to have another,but gage is the best thing that has ever happened to us,he just makes us laugh at all times.Life is great right now I love to work outside doing just about anything and there is always something to do. I am blessed to be able to stay at home and not work so I am always there for my family!

14. Wrighty says:

So glad it all worked out for your family and you had a whole month of quality and quantity time together! When my boys were little (3 of them under the age of 4 1/2) there were days I watched the clock, praying for it to move faster so my hubby would get home! Everyone needs a break no matter how much you love your kids. And it’s nice to slow down the hectic pace and just be together too. Happy to hear the job situation worked out as well!