Sundays with Gage – late addition

This summer has officially kicked my butt and it’s still a month until school starts.  I knew I wouldn’t have much time to myself this summer since I haven’t replaced any of Gage’s ABA therapists. They came to our house for 2 hour sessions so I would have  time to do a load or two of laundry, read, write a blog post or visit your blogs 4 times a week. No more of that.  The summer has been full of medical mysteries and mishaps so I’ve spent lots of time researching and in doctors offices or hospitals.  I don’t usually share these things but I do share things about Gage and this is how life goes with a 4-year-old.

First, let’s start with when I first noticed this in June…

IMG_3635[1]Do you see the bump behind his right knee?  After an x-ray and ultrasound he was diagnosed with a Bakers Cyst.  Might get bigger and might not go away until his late teens.  It was a long 4 days from first seeing it to a benign diagnosis.

Then almost 3 weeks ago Gage started having acid reflux/hiccups all.day.long.  Seriously, from when he wakes up until he falls asleep.  He says they don’t hurt but they are taking a toll on his mood.  Doctor said to put him back on Zantac and after an ER trip last night because the reflux/hiccups were so bad when he went to bed that he threw up, another doctor said to try Prilosec.  Oh, and he took x-rays too.  The medical protocol is always pharmaceutical to mask when the problem might be.  Both of these doctors literally shrugged when trying to explain what might be going on.  Gage has a complicated and mysterious gut that I have spent hundreds (thousands?) of hours trying to puzzle out and I hope I can find an answer soon because it is frustrating not be able to help. (We did try the Zantac for 3 days but it was no help)

And if we’re friends on Facebook you might have seen that Gage was at nature camp this week when one of three boys going through the woods together stepped on a hive in the ground and Gage got stung 5 or 6 times by yellow jackets or hornets.  I am lucky that I did not get pulled over or cause an accident the 15 minutes it took me to get to camp!  He was fine, eventually, but the trauma of it caused lots of crying every time he talked about it.  The kid has guts though and looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if he wanted to go back the next morning.  No fear in my guy and he was back the next day walking through the woods.

I don’t know if I’ve properly expressed how much stress I’ve been under this summer (Gage actually seems to be handling it all fairly easily by comparison!).  I have visited a few blogs and will keep visiting as time allows, but just wanted to let you all know what’s going on here in Cleveland.  Jason did take me to a nice dinner and comedy club on Friday night so there are always bright spots 🙂

August 2, 2015 - Posted by | Gage

1. Sending many big hugs and positive vibes yours and Gage’s way, Stacy. I am sorry you have had such a stressful summer. I can’t even imagine. It must be so frustrating dealing with doctors who don’t understand. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. I am so relieved to hear the bump is benign and will eventually go away.

Comment by Literary Feline | August 2, 2015 | Reply

• Thanks Wendy, virtual hugs are always appreciated 🙂 I am at a loss on the reflux/burping but have a few more things to try, hopefully we’ll find an answer soon.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 2, 2015 | Reply

2. Oh my goodness poor Stacy , you have had a tough summer. Poor Gage too, but he seems so resilient!

Comment by Diane | August 3, 2015 | Reply

3. I can see why you’re frustrated, Stacy. Are those doctors at a children’s hospital? I hope you can find some answers soon for the cause of Gage’s reflux. So glad he wanted to go back to camp 🙂

Comment by Mary | August 3, 2015 | Reply

• We’ve been using the Cleveland Clinic but the new GI doc will be with Rainbow Babies so I’m hoping for a fresh perspective.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 3, 2015 | Reply

4. I have become very frustrated with medical care these last few years so I can just imagine what you’re going through with Gage. I hope the rest of your summer goes smoothly.

Comment by BermudaOnion | August 3, 2015 | Reply

• I’ve found one doctor I love in Gage’s 4 1/2 years but it seems that the good ones who listen and are willing to think outside the box are not the norm.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 3, 2015 | Reply

5. Oh My Gosh! You poor thing…I hope things get better soon…

Comment by pinkim95 | August 3, 2015 | Reply

• We’ve both had stressful summers so I hope we both see a turn around soon 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 3, 2015 | Reply

6. I am sorry it has been such a stressful summer. Wow, Gage has way more courage than I, you would not get me back a place where I got stung! Sending prayers and hugs your way and hope you quickly find a reason for the reflux/hiccups.

Comment by Nise' | August 3, 2015 | Reply

• Oh, me neither! I almost didn’t want him to go back!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 3, 2015 | Reply

7. Poor Gage! I’m so sorry that Gage (and you and Jason) have gone through so much this summer. I had a child who was in and out of the hospital for the first 2 years of his life so I know how stressful it is when your child is going through medical issues. I’ll keep you all in my prayers. {Hugs}

Comment by Vicki | August 3, 2015 | Reply

8. Poor Gage! Sorry you are under so much stress right now. Hope things start to look brighter soon! (Hugs)

Comment by Anna | August 3, 2015 | Reply

• Thanks for the hugs. Some days I just need to vent and I appreciate all of your support 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 3, 2015 | Reply

9. Oh Stacy, I’m really feeling for you and it goes without saying for Gage, he is so brave, he reminds me so much of my eldest. Sending a big hug, express mail. Hope the hiccups/reflux get sorted soon and there’s a break from the stress xx

This is random but I’ve been making kefir (probiotic milk that is virtually lactose free) to improve my gut heath and help with autoimmune issues. I gave some of the Kefir ‘babies’ to my aunt to start making her own and her reflux disappeared after a week or so and she was on strong prescription meds for it every day. I have no idea if it would help Gage or if he can have it but could be worth looking at??

Comment by Teddyree | August 3, 2015 | Reply

• Sheree I’ve looked into it because I’ve heard such great things so I’m so excited that it is working for you! Because of Gage’s dairy response in the past I’m scared to try it. Maybe after we have another allergy test for it in the next year or so. He’s taking a probiotic already that I thought was helping but now I’m sorta back where I started 😦

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 3, 2015 | Reply

10. Holy cow – as if you don’t have enough to deal with! Much commiseration….

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | August 5, 2015 | Reply

11. Catching up since being gone for a few weeks out of town. I’m so sorry for the stress…but grateful for you and Gage that Gage seems to be handling everything so well. He looks so cute in those camp pictures you posted on FB…and it got me to thinking…will he be Kinder this year? I feel so behind in blogs and feel like I should know that detail.

Take care of yourself. xo

Comment by Trish | August 13, 2015 | Reply

• I am SOSOSOSOS behind on blog reading. I keep telling myself just to hold on until school starts and then all will be well 🙂 He doesn’t turn 5 until October so he’ll be in Pre-K this year.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 14, 2015 | Reply