Soldier Quiz – guessing closed

Yesterday, we celebrated Memorial Day here in the US, a day to honor our fallen soldiers and the sacrifices they made.  This week’s quiz is all about our servicemen & women in literature and movies.  Each correct answer is worth 10 points.  You have until Friday to submit your answers.

No cheating.  No googling or looking at other commenter answers.  Yes, we’re going by the honor system :)    Your first answers will be the only ones accepted.  Play every week or just one time, you are always welcome   It only takes once to be eligible for a prize.

Last week’s Book Sale quiz here.  Leaderboard here.

I’m looking for the titles only.

Movies

1. This 2009 Oscar winner is the only one on this list about an ongoing war.  The Hurt Locker

2. The father View Image Apocalypse Now

3. And the son View Image Platoon

4. Tom Hanks leads a team to find the last surviving brother (of four) serving during WWII.  This 1998 film makes me cry every time.  Saving Private Ryan

5.  This 1946 Oscar winner is the movie that has stuck with me as the best depiction of what happened to soldiers when they came back home from war, in this case WWII.  The Best Years of Our Lives

6. This is a 1989 movie about the Civil War’s first all-black volunteer company, featuring Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington.  Glory

Books and Movies

7. Clint Eastwood directed two movies about WWII, one from the perspective of the American attackers and one from the perspective of the Japanese soldiers, based on the book written by James Bradley and Ron Powers.  Each one is worth 5 points.  Flags of Our Father & Letters from Iwo Jima

8. This Stephen Ambrose classic was made into a very successful HBO mini-series about WWII.  Band of Brothers

9. This dark comedy about a WWII bomber helped coin a new English phrase to define a no-win situation.  Made into a 1970 film.  Catch-22

10. This novel by Erich Maria Remarque is about a German soldier in WWI and is the only one on the list focused on a non-American soldier, but was made into one of my favorite war movies.  A 1930 Oscar winner.  All Quiet on the Western Front

27 thoughts on “Soldier Quiz – guessing closed

1. Misha says:

2. Apocalypse Now
    3. Platoon?
    4. Saving Private Ryan (It makes me cry too)
    5.The Best Years of Our Lives
    6 Glory??
    7 Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers
    8 Band of Brothers
    9 Catch 22
    10.

2. Caspette says:

4. Saving Private Ryan

Otherwise Im drawing blanks. War movies are not really my thing I would assume Platoon and Apocylpse Now would have to be in there somewhere.

7. Letters from Iwo Jima and the other one escapes me at the moment.
    8. Band of Brothers?
    9. Catch22

• stacybuckeye says:

35 points! War movies aren’t my thing and I was surprised to realize how many I’d seen. The only ones from this list I haven’t seen are Flags of my FAther & Letters from Iwo Jima.

3. BermudaOnion says:

8. Band of Brothers
    9. Catch-22
    10. All Quiet on the Western Front

5. Jennifer Rayment says:

1 The Hurt Locker – fabulous
    2 Apocalypse Now – I can’t lie, hated it
    3 Platoon – know half of the lines by heart, best friend had the hots for Willem Defoe
    4 Saving Private Ryan – still haven’t seen – someone told me Nathan Fillion is in it though
    5 OMG my father will kill me for not knowing this one, he made me into an Oscar Trivia nut
    6 Glory
    7 Flag of Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima
    8 Band of Brothers
    9 Catch 22 – next on my classics to read
    10 sounds familiar – but nope not even guessing

• stacybuckeye says:

80 points 🙂 I hated Apolcalypse Now too! If you haven’t seen The Best Years of Our Lives yet I hightly recommend it.

6. barbaravb says:

5. The best years of our lives.
    I think it might be this great movie, with real veterans from WWII, one of the main characters lost both hands in the war.

7. Kay says:

Hmmm…not sure how well I will do. Not really my type of movie.

2. Apocalypse Now
    4. Saving Private Ryan
    6. Glory
    8. Band of Brothers
    10. Tip of my tongue….argh! Read it in school. Can’t think of it.

I’m terrible!

8. softdrink says:

Geez, you know how much I suck at these movie quizzes!

2. Apocalypse Now – “I love the smell of napalm in the morning”
    9. Catch-22
    10. All Quiet on the Western Front

9. Stephanie D. says:

1. The Hurt Locker?
    2. Apocalypse Now???
    4. Saving Private Ryan
    7.Letters from Iwo Jima? Band of Brothers?
    10. Red Badge of Courage – This is probably wrong. Aahhh!
    Most of these are on the tip of my tongue.

10. Bumbles says: