On Saturday I made my yearly trip to the Case Western Reserve University Book Sale. I usually spend hours and hours looking over the thousands of books filling the auditorium, but I had to be quick since my father-in-law was on his way. So, I picked up the first books I saw that were on my extensive wish list. Here’s a view of the fiction section of the sale. I left as soon as my arms were full, which was at 14 books.
So, here’s the quiz ad giveaway…I chose 10 first lines from 10 of these novels and all you need to do is tell me which line belongs to which book. No googling, no matter how tempting. I know this will mainly be educated guessing so to make it more fun I’m offering the person who guesses the most correct (and first) will get to choose a book from the stack for free! You have until noon Friday to submit your answers.
No cheating. No Googling, researching, or looking at other commenter answers. Yes, we’re going by the honor system Your first answers will be the only ones accepted. Play every week or just one time, you are always welcome It only takes once to be eligible for a prize.
1. The sheets are dirty. An Indian Health Service hospital in the late sixties. Indian Killer
2. As Corradino Manin looked on the lights of San Marco for the last time, Venice from the lagoon seemed to him a golden constellation in the dark blue velvet dusk. The Glassblower of Murano
3. “Jorg, expect $7 million from Credit Parisien in the No.2 account by 6 pm tonight, Central European time, and place it with first-class banks and triple A commercial names.” Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less
4. The final dying sounds of their dress rehearsal left the Laurel Players with nothing to do but stand there, silent and helpless, blinking out over the footlights of an empty auditorium. Revolutionary Road
5. The rain kept falling, swelling the creek until it lifted the girl into its muddy flood. Turning Angel
6. On the banks of the mighty Columbia River, in this icy season when every breath became visible, the orchard called Belye Nochi was quiet. Winter Garden
7. Midnight in the garden of the dead. The Devil’s Punchbowl
8. In early May, the summer came, at last, to Scotland. September
9. How lucky were they? A heat wave in the middle of the school holidays, exactly where it belonged. Case Histories
10. Maggie an Ira Moran had to go to a funeral in Deer Lick, Pennsylvania. Breathing Lessons