Call Me Irresistible, by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips: Book CoverFinished 3-2-11, rating 4/5, romance, 385 pages, pub. 2011

Lucy, daughter of the former President of the United States, is preparing to walk down the aisle to marry Mr. Perfect, Ted Beaudine ,when her best friend, Meg voices doubts about the marriage.  Lucy takes them to heart and walks out on Ted at the church.  Meg is blamed by everyone and is asked to stay in the small Texas town for a few days to see if Lucy returns.  But not only is Meg completely broke and cut off from her family, she is also stranded in the town when everyone blames her for the heartbreak of their mayor, Ted.  Needless to say, life is not easy for Meg as the women of Wynette blacklist her and do everything possible to make her life miserable.  But Meg was having problems before getting stuck in town and it forces her to confront her roaming and aimless ways.

I’ve read every Susan Elizabeth Phillips romance.  They are fast, fun, sassy, and usually feature spunky heroines and alpha male heroes.  This is as good as her best and it features wonderful secondary characters who jump off the page.  Meg was born with a silver spoon and yet has done nothing with her life.  This is her story of growing up.  Ted was also born with a silver spoon and can do no wrong.  When these two are forced together they come to recognize the best and worst in each other.

This book will feel like hanging out with old friends, especially if you’ve read any of Phillip’s past books.  Ted showed up in two previous novels (Fancy Pants & Lady Be Good), Ted’s parents were the story of Fancy Pants.  Meg was in What I Did For Love and her parents story was told in Glitter Baby.  Lucy and her parents appeared in First Lady and Lady Be Good had four of the citizens of Wynette.  With all of that the book could have seemed crowded with characters, but it wasn’t.  They each had their own personalities and because they were fully developed characters it made this story so much richer.  You do not need to have read any of the other books to fully enjoy this one.

I don’t read a lot of contemporary romances, but I make the exception for Phillips and am never disappointed.

This is from my personal library.

March 10, 2011 - Posted by | 4 Star Books | ,

1. Looks like a fun one!

Comment by Heather | March 10, 2011 | Reply

2. I’ve only read one of her novels (liked it!) so I’ll watch for this one.
    I hope Gage is feeling well and laughing more and more each day 🙂

Comment by Mary | March 10, 2011 | Reply

• Ha Ha! Since Saturday only his Dad has gotten him to laugh again, no matter how hard I work. Daddy comes home, makes a few faces and gets a little laugh.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 10, 2011 | Reply

3. I don’t read contemporary romances either; perhaps I should make an exception for this one since you like this author so much.

Comment by StephanieD | March 10, 2011 | Reply

• They are very modern. In almost every one the couple has sex before becoming a couple. Go figure.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 11, 2011 | Reply

4. I love that you’ve read many by this author and have yet to be disappointed…this is one that I should definitely read 😀

Comment by Staci-Life In the Thumb | March 10, 2011 | Reply

• I know you like the hot sex scenes. All of her books have a few.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 11, 2011 | Reply

• Your comment made me laugh 😀

Comment by Staci | March 13, 2011

5. I kind of like that the author developed these characters and their families in other books. I’ve never heard of her but it sounds like an author for when I need a nice light read.

Comment by Jenners | March 10, 2011 | Reply

• It really was a nice way to bring all of her favorite characters together. Loved it.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 11, 2011 | Reply

6. I don’t read contemporary romances, but this one sounds like fun!

Comment by Misha | March 11, 2011 | Reply

• She is a fun author!

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 11, 2011 | Reply

7. This is one of those authors that’s been on my list for a while, but who I haven’t gotten around to yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment by Carol | March 11, 2011 | Reply

8. I get bored and have to switch my reading from historicals to contemporary.. I love Susan’s books.. Lady Be Good.. was hillarious- I found myself laughing out loud. I have read all of her books. I have never been disappointed!! They are all good while some are great!!

Comment by Christine | March 19, 2011 | Reply

• Totally agree, Christine!

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 26, 2011 | Reply

9. […] Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Echo Burning by Lee Child, Women on the Edge of a Nervous Breakthrough by Ruth […]

Pingback by Challenging Year « Stacy's Books | December 31, 2011 | Reply