B is for Book Problem, Year 6 QUIZ

Before I started blogging I had spent 5 years working for Barnes & Noble so I was no stranger to books (and book discounts!).  I had a sizeable library and was happy with my reading to book ratio.  Then I started blogging and all tomes broke loose!  Every year in May I would stack up my unread books in one place and take and inventory of sorts.  Here’s my picture from that first year in 2008…

At the time I didn’t even do a count.

New motherhood being what it was I skipped last year’s wall building.  But then I felt like my books have slowly been taking over every room in the house so I decided it was time to rebuild the wall.  I always rebuild the same way every year so I can find all of the books. (yes, this is silly, but I sometimes get a little OCD about my books).  Two years ago my stacks looked like this

A little bigger at 604.  So, in a marathon of book balancing done while my little one was sleeping I rebuilt the wall minus the 20 some books I read and the 20 odd books I gave away…

Janet 088

And then added in the books I’ve acquired in the last two years.  Needless to say, I got a great workout hauling all these books around the house, but worry about next year’s wall of books if I don’t start reading more!

Janet 090

Okay, now for the QUIZ -Open to anyone- Guess the number of unread books I have in my house by looking at this last picture.  The person who comes closest by Sunday will help me out by choosing one book from the picture as a gift.  (I did at least give you a few numbers from two years ago :))

For all my regulars – I will be awarding points based on how close you get to the real number.

Leaderboard here.  Last weeks’s Florida Quiz here.

54 thoughts on “B is for Book Problem, Year 6 QUIZ

1. Kay says:

I guess 761’ish…LOL. I used to have a lot more than I do now. I’ve weeded and weeded and weeded. Think I’m under 400 now. That actually feels better to me. So many books (and at one time I think I had over 2000) seemed like pressure. 🙂

• stacybuckeye says:

It really does feel like pressure! I usually weed more, but since I had to do this whole operation overnight (I was up til 4 am) I didn’t take the time to do it. Maybe next year. Your guess impressed me. Only 8 off! 98 points.

• stacybuckeye says:

Oh, I started this as soon as Gage went to sleep at 8:30. Buit it, took pics, counted, took inventory, and then took it all down before he woke up. I went to bed at 4 am 🙂 7th place, 88 points.

2. wanderoneday says:

Wow that’s a wall of books! I was all about counting my books when I was a kid. But I’ve since donated 95% of those to classrooms and to charities, since I don’t really need to be reading Goosebumps and Animorphs at 26 years old (but do not touch my Chronicles of Narnia or Harry Potter)! Now, I try to buy many of my books as Ebooks, because I like to take them with me when I travel. I still buy hard copies sometimes, but we move every few years and carrying hundreds of books would get old quickly.

I guess 775.

3. Betty Taylor says:

My guess is 975. I actually got read of most of my books. I now have about 500 on my Nook (e reader). I have been trying to simplify things in my home. Once I got use to it, I like it. I take my nook most places or I can read on my iPhone or iPad. I thought I would never give up reading the actual book but I have and now I love it.

4. Julie says:

I’m not going to guess but you just made me feel a whole heck of a lot better about my pile. 🙂 Good luck. Looks like some purging needs to happen. Good luck!

5. Natasha says:

I would think it is a few more than that, but I like that particular number, and am going with it.

I have a Mt. TBR of about two dozen books, which I think it too big- you made me feel better about my obsession.

6. Arlee Bird says:

I’ll go with 945. Whatever it is it’s an impressive pile of books. I don’t know if mine would match yours. I do have them all over the house including many in my garage. I’m all set in my reading for many years to come.

7. Teddyree says:

LOL Stacy, love it … I’m too scared to do mine but you made me feel better. You’ll need a new room addition if your library keeps growing at that rate 🙂

I’m guessing 782

8. thetruebookaddict says:

I keep a running total of my books because I keep a catalog of my fiction which numbers at last count…well over 2000. Yikes! Aren’t the stacks just beautiful? Nothing quite like it in the world, in my opinion. 😉

My guess = 860

9. Tara says:

I did something very similar to this while I was still pregnant. It was embarrassing! I would love to do it again, but I don’t have the time nor my husband’s patience 🙂

My guess …. 876

• stacybuckeye says:

I think I did it when Gage was still sleeping in a bassinet a lot during the day, but last couldn’t because he was just starting to walk. This year I did it overnight which was crazy, but crazy fun 🙂 So, I gave up sleep for it. Thankfully my mom was visiting so I got to sleep in, a lot! 66 points.