C is for Cary Grant

Blogging from A-Z.

I love Cary Grant.  No, really love him.  I’m sure that when you looked at my stack of unread books yesterday that you noticed this one. (yes, that’s it, bottom stacks, row 10, 2nd from the bottom ;))

Complete Films of Cary Grant

A few fun facts about the suave Archibald Leach…He was born in Bristol, England in 1904.  When we was 12 his mother suffered a severe nervous breakdown and went to live in a nursing home. He ran away at 13 and joined Bob Pender’s Troupe, but his father found him and brought him home.  A year and half later he rejoined the troupe (with his father’s blessing) and travelled around England before the troupe headed to New York City in 1920. He worked as a stilt walker at Coney Island and as an audience plant with a mind-reading act before working on Broadway.  He appeared in a 10 minute short film as one of four sailors and the rest is history.  He headed to Hollywood, changed his name (thank you, Archie!), and completed seven films that first year.  He became a US citizen in 1942.  Married five times, divorced four and the father of one child.  He died in 1986 at the age of 82 of a stroke.

This is a great book for fans.  Lots of pictures and behind the scenes stories.  Here’s one from his very first short film

002And one of the many pages of photos from film shoots and his personal life 004

This book is about his life and his films.  All 72 of them.  I’ve watched 17  and have decided to go on a Cary Grant Binge and see how long it takes me to see them all.  I’m thinking of a monthly post and I welcome anyone who wants to join in.  I can make it official with  Mr. Linky and everything if you want to join me.  And no, I don’t mean you have to watch all of his movies, but you want to watch his movies and post about them, let me know.  I may try to work my way through them in order but it will really depend on what I can get my hands on first.  His first movie was This is the Night (1932).  Here’s the list of his movies if you want to see how many you’ve watched.

I know a few of you read Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe and I loved the Cary Grant story!  I wouldn’t have complained about watching movies in bed with Cary 🙂

My favorite Cary Grant film is The Philadelphia Story (1940) but I pretty much love him in anything.  Do you have a favorite Cary movie?

April 3, 2013 - Posted by | movies |

1. I’m not sure I’ve seen many Cary Grant movies. Rob Lowe tells a story about him in his memoir.

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 3, 2013 | Reply

• I love Lowe’s Cary memories 🙂 Maybe as I was them I’ll convince you to watch a few.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 11, 2013 | Reply

2. My favorite Cary Grant movie, actually my all-time favorite movie in general es Notorius, by Alfred Hitchcock. And CG is soooo handsome, and so mean! I love him!

Comment by barbaravb | April 3, 2013 | Reply

3. I have loved Cary Grant my entire life, too! My favorite move of his is Arsenic and Old Lace. I think I’ve seen it at least 8 times!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | April 3, 2013 | Reply

• Just so you know, that was his least favorite film!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 11, 2013 | Reply

4. I really liked North by Northwest and Arsenic and Old Lace. I’m kind of bummed, though, that he changed his name. My own devoted husband is an Archie 😉 I’d love to catch up on some more Cary Grant movies, so count me in on watching some!!! Great idea!

Comment by hmsgofita | April 3, 2013 | Reply

• I’ll be setting up something for Cary Grant viewing at the end of the month, stay tuned! As for changing his name, it’s not so much the Archie as the the Leach. Archie is a perfectly adorable name 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 11, 2013 | Reply

5. I did not know that was his original name! I’ve only seen two of his movies but they were excellent. Men don’t look like him anymore!

Comment by jennygirl | April 3, 2013 | Reply

• No they don’t! Or have that suave flair. Maybe I;ll convince you to see a few of this movies.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 11, 2013 | Reply

6. I LOVE him too! I just recently watched North by Northwest again. Grant is so good in that film!

Comment by boardinginmyforties | April 3, 2013 | Reply

• I’m looking forward to revisiting his best movies and seeing new ones too. I love N by NW.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 11, 2013 | Reply

7. I’m also a Grant fan. Especially like his Hitchcock films.

Comment by Arlee Bird | April 3, 2013 | Reply

8. One of my role models. When I think of him and then think of the way most men dress and act and groom themselves (or don’t) these days, I wonder what the heck happened. Can you imagine him wearing flip-flops and a basketball jersey? My own father, men like Cary Grant, and The Art Of Manliness (artofmanliness.com) are inspirations to me. Great movies, too.

Comment by Jer | April 3, 2013 | Reply

• Having grown up in the 80’s, the only men that looked this way were older. I miss that attention to detail in men today.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 11, 2013 | Reply

9. I had no idea he made 72 films! I’ve seen more than a few of them but I always think first of my favorite, North by Northwest.

Comment by Leslie | April 4, 2013 | Reply

• That was a good one, but I bet you I can convince you yo watch more!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 11, 2013 | Reply

10. Cary Grant ~ the epitome of class and elegance and charm and oh so very handsome!

Comment by anovelsource1 | April 4, 2013 | Reply

11. He was one handsome dude! I have many favorites: An Affair To Remember, North by Northwest, Arsenic and Old Lace to mention a few.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | April 4, 2013 | Reply

• All good ones that I look forward to seeing again.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 11, 2013 | Reply

12. I like him too. I watched “Charades” this week–starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. It was pretty good. My favorite is Arsenic and old lace.

Comment by kelley | April 5, 2013 | Reply

• As I told Beth, Arsenic was his least favorite film! I love both Cary and Audrey, but wasn’t all that crazy about Charade. Maybe it was their age difference?

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 11, 2013 | Reply

13. Awesome! I’ve decided to see all 72 films too! Where should I start??

Comment by Jodie | April 6, 2013 | Reply

• Yea 🙂 Stay tuned. I’ll have something figured out by the end of the month 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 11, 2013 | Reply

14. I have always had a crush on him after watching “Houseboat.” This would be a great read and I might play along with the movies!!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | April 6, 2013 | Reply

15. Oh I love Cary Grant. All time favourite movie star – so handsome and classy. Can’t actually pick a favourite film – maybe The Philadelphia Story, but have a soft spot for both Father Goose and Operation Petticoat.

Comment by Louise | April 3, 2014 | Reply