A is for Animated Movies

Blogging from A-Z Challenge. I’m participating in the A-Z Challenge this month. I just decided to do it today so I hope I can organize myself enough to get through the alphabet.  There’s no telling what each new letter will bring around here so stay tuned 🙂

Gage will be 2 1/2 this month and his attention span is short, however, there is one thing that will keep him mostly engaged for a while.  It’s that big, green ogre we all know and love, Shrek.  I am not sure how many times we have seen the first and second movies and yet he never tires of them.  Shrek, Donkey and Cat (Puss) are his friends.  He doesn’t seem to care one way or the other about Fiona at this point.  As far as movies that can satisfy a toddler and parents at the same time this series is a good one, but I’m ready to branch out.  He saw and liked Ice Age, but Jason doesn’t care for it and I think a few viewings was enough for me.

I love the old Disney movies, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King and I am looking forward to sharing them with him.  But aside from Wall-E, Finding Nemo, and Ratatouille I am woefully behind in the animated movie department.  What are some of the new ones that Gage, Jason, and I might all love?  And when you see an animated movie do you ever see it because of who is narrating the characters?

Oh, and please don’t recommend Bambi.  That movie made me so upset as a kid that I’m not sure I ever even saw the whole thing.  I won’t do that to Gage.  At least until he’s a teenager 🙂

April 1, 2013 - Posted by | movies |

1. Someone gave Vance Wee Sing: Grandpa’s Magical Toys for his 3rd birthday and he about wore that video out. I think we all had it memorized – I was so tired of it, I could scream.

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 1, 2013 | Reply

• I’ve learned to pretty much block it out, but Jason gets sucked in every time, just like Gage, LOL 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 5, 2013 | Reply

2. I absolutely loved How to Train Your Dragon. I saw it with my son and my granddaughter, and we all thought it was great. I actually gave it a 4 out of 4. Normally, I only give 2-3 4’s (out of 60-70) each year.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | April 1, 2013 | Reply

• I’ve heard excellent things about that one. It’s not too old for a 2 1/2 year old?

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 5, 2013 | Reply

3. My sister introduced my kids to the Hayao Miyazaki animated films, and they still love them as teenagers. But they are a little vivid and might scare Gage until he gets a little older (maybe Ponyo would be OK). The crazy thing is that many of the Disney films scared my kids too…I mean in The Lion King the DAD DIES! How awful for a kid to watch that! My kids loved Shrek as well, plus they also had some Sesame Street and Barney videos that about made me go insane.

Comment by Sandy | April 1, 2013 | Reply

• Oh, Sesame Street and Thomas are huge here. When he is driving me crazy I just turn on PBS and let him enjoy. For some reason I think I like Curious George more than he does 🙂 And he is currently addicted to Ice Age where the MOM DIES. I’m not sure he competely gets it yet.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 5, 2013 | Reply

4. Um, Pixar! You already mentioned 3 of them, but there are quite a few others you’re missing: The Incredibles, Cars (and was there a Cars 2?), Up, Brave, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, A Bug’s Life, Monsters Inc. All other animated movies pale in comparison (but can still be fun), imo. [I’ve seen all but 3 of these, and I think all those viewings were pre-child.]

Comment by Word Lily | April 1, 2013 | Reply

• I picked up the Cars video at a sale and we tried it twice but he wasn’t taken with it. I need to try all of the others. I really am compiling a list so thank you 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 5, 2013 | Reply

5. The Croods is def a kid’s movie, they should like that one.

Popped in from the AtoZ Challenge.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Comment by tvonzalez | April 1, 2013 | Reply

• Isn’t it still at the theater? No way I could take him this young. Maybe when it hots video.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 5, 2013 | Reply

6. If you want the old school Disney (and that’s what I know the most about), Robin Hood (ooh-de-lally), The Fox and the Hound, The Aristocats. The others I know about are a lot of the princess stuff – Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast – maybe not for a boy – but Aladdin or Peter Pan, 101 Dalmations and Dumbo? We totally wore out Robin Hood – a big favorite for a long time. Hubby and I can still sing all the songs from it! LOL

Hannah’s suggestions about Pixar are great. Fun movies.

Comment by Kay | April 1, 2013 | Reply

• You are awesome Kay! So many oldies I had forgotten about. I think he might like Aladdin (or maybe that’s just me).

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 5, 2013 | Reply

7. Wreck-It-Ralph, Brave are also excellent ones. Kung Fu Panda is good too. The Princess and the Frog, though it could be a bit scary for Gage. These are all greats ones mentioned above. The Tinkerbell movies are good too. I like to introduce female protagonists that my Gabe can identify with. I think it’s important for him to have role models from both sexes and female protagonists are underrepresented in films.

Comment by hmsgofita | April 1, 2013 | Reply

• You are such a responsible mama, Heather!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 5, 2013 | Reply

8. When the boys were little we watched all of the older Disney movies…loved them. Toy Story was a huge movie at my house and the Ninja Turtle movies were too!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | April 1, 2013 | Reply

• Someone told me the Ninja Turtles are back. How is that possible?!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 5, 2013 | Reply

9. Brave is good. When Amber was little her movie obsession was Aladdin.

Comment by Carol | April 2, 2013 | Reply

• I love Aladdin but I haven’t seen Brave yet. It’s a popular choice.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 5, 2013 | Reply

10. Not sure but what about Toy Story, Happy Feet, Aladdin seems like a good one for boys…101 Dalmations, Lady and the Tramp, yea, I like the old Disney ones for sure!

Comment by jennygirl | April 2, 2013 | Reply

• I’m old school for sure 🙂 I’m looking forward to trying some new ones!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 5, 2013 | Reply

11. I loved Wreck-It Ralph but he’s probably too young for it. I don’t know if they still make those Sing-Along videos that have clips of songs from movies and the lyrics running along the bottom. The kids I babysat loved them and so did I.
    This grown woman has also seen a couple of the Tinkerbell movies on the Disney channel and enjoyed them despite Tinkerbell’s sometimes revealing wardrobe.

Comment by Golda | April 4, 2013 | Reply

• I try not to judge Tinkerbell too harshly. If I had her bod I’d probably dress that way too 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 5, 2013 | Reply

12. I am a huge huge fan of anything made by Pixar. And I’d highly encourage you to check out some of the Scholastic videos of books. They are (for the most part) very very well done. The Chicka Chicka Boom Boom one is perfection and I’d recommend starting there.

Comment by Jenners | April 15, 2013 | Reply