Ink Flamingos by Karen E. Olson

Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Series #4)Ink Flamingos. Finished 8-19-12, rating 4/5, mystery, 310 pages, pub. 2011

Book 4 of the Tattoo Shop series (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3)

Okay, I’m going to start with the good news.  This book about tattooist Brett Kavenaugh and her assortment of co-workers was great.  Brett owns The Painted Lady and is an easily identifiable Las Vegas resident with her long legs, red hair, and multitude of tattoos.  She’s good at what she does.  When someone begins impersonating her and framing her for murders she is at a loss as to who would hate her that much.  Good thing she has a brother who’s a cop and friends who have her back.

I’ve raved about this series before.  I’ve loved them all.  Brett is cool, way cooler than anyone I know, and she is always finding herself somehow involved with dead bodies.

And this leads me to the bad news.  This is the fourth and last book of the series.  This makes me very sad, but it could be good news for you.  If you worry about starting another series at least you know this one is only four really good books.  I didn’t know it was the end until I looked around after I’d finished and now that I’ve (grudgingly) accepted it I can say that it was a good send off for Brett.  There had been some sexual tension in the first three and I was very excited about how that panned out.

I plan on telling author, Karen Olson, how I wish there’d be more books in the series when I track her down at Bouchercon 2012 in October.  I registered today, so let me know if you want to come or meet up.

I checked this book out of the library.

August 22, 2012 - Posted by | 4 Star Books

1. I still want to give this series a try.

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | August 22, 2012 | Reply

2. When I first heard about this series I figured it wasn’t for me since I don’t like tattoos, but it sounds like it’s really about the mysteries and characters. I need to give it a try.

Comment by BermudaOnion | August 22, 2012 | Reply

• I am not a tattoo enthusiast either so I think you’re safe.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 1, 2012 | Reply

3. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Stacy! I have it on my shelf to read and hope to get to it soon. I’m going to miss Brett. 😦

Comment by Literary Feline | August 22, 2012 | Reply

4. Good mystery series with an awesome female protagonist? Yes! I will grab the first in the series. I like it when they wind up the series after 3 or four books, though. I’m thinking of the Kay Scarpetta series. I enjoyed them til I realized she was getting attacked by serial killers every book and after more than twenty books….my believability goes way down. So I think it’s a good idea to end a series after a bit 🙂

Comment by Heather | August 22, 2012 | Reply

• Actually, I think the author was concerned about Brett finding dead bodies all the time, LOL! I do get tired when a series goes on too long.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 1, 2012 | Reply

5. Bravo to an author who writes four really good books and then stops before it all goes downhill. I wish more authors would do that!

Comment by Jenners | August 22, 2012 | Reply

• I know, right? I’m not going to name names but I see Mary has already done it for me!

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 1, 2012 | Reply

6. it’s hard to say goodbye to characters and a series but I like that the author didn’t keep going and going (cough Evanavich/StephaniePlum cough) until the series and characters became just plain annoying. Ooh, did I just rant?

Comment by Mary | August 23, 2012 | Reply

• I love you, Mary! I’m in total agreement. I’ve skipped the last few books and don’t feel like I’ve missed anything.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 1, 2012 | Reply

7. This series has been on my to-read list for a while, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’m actually happy that it’s only 4 books long, makes me more likely to pick it up sooner.

Comment by Carol | August 27, 2012 | Reply

• Same way with me. There are lots of series that I want to read but it’s daunting to start knowing that there are more than a dozen books already with more on the way.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 1, 2012 | Reply

8. This series is first on my list come January. Yes, planning ahead for 2013 🙂

Comment by jennygirl | August 27, 2012 | Reply

9. So happy you liked the book, Stacy! And I do hope you track me down at Bouchercon. I’m on a panel at 12:15 on Thursday, something about unusual jobs…please come and introduce yourself!! But you won’t be able to talk me into writing another book in the series, sorry. My publisher didn’t want any more, and that’s fine. I took Brett full circle and am happy where she’s at, at the end of Ink Flamingos. I’ve actually got a young adult mystery and a middle grade action adventure time travel book that my agent is going to start submitting to editors soon.

Comment by Karen Olson | August 27, 2012 | Reply

• Thanks for stopping by again, Karen! I get super excited whenever an author takes the time. I am sorry that the publisher didn’t want more Brett, obviously they have a short attention span 🙂 I will definitely say hi at Bouchercon.
      Thanks so much for the great series!

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 1, 2012 | Reply

10. Only 4?? Well at least I will be able to catch up!! I see that Karen stopped by and left you a comment about the publisher not wanting any more of the Ink series..that’s a bummer because I liked Brett too!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | August 27, 2012 | Reply

• It is a bummer. I think the publisher is crazy!

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 1, 2012 | Reply

11. […] that awesome?  I am psyched to meet her when I attend Bouchercon next month. (the 3 reviews-Ink Flamingos, Driven to Ink, Pretty in […]

Pingback by Isn’t it great when authors leave comments on your blog? « Stacy's Books | September 6, 2012 | Reply