Ink Flamingos by Karen E. Olson

Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Series #4)Ink Flamingos. Finished 8-19-12, rating 4/5, mystery, 310 pages, pub. 2011

Book 4 of the Tattoo Shop series (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3)

Okay, I’m going to start with the good news.  This book about tattooist Brett Kavenaugh and her assortment of co-workers was great.  Brett owns The Painted Lady and is an easily identifiable Las Vegas resident with her long legs, red hair, and multitude of tattoos.  She’s good at what she does.  When someone begins impersonating her and framing her for murders she is at a loss as to who would hate her that much.  Good thing she has a brother who’s a cop and friends who have her back.

I’ve raved about this series before.  I’ve loved them all.  Brett is cool, way cooler than anyone I know, and she is always finding herself somehow involved with dead bodies.

And this leads me to the bad news.  This is the fourth and last book of the series.  This makes me very sad, but it could be good news for you.  If you worry about starting another series at least you know this one is only four really good books.  I didn’t know it was the end until I looked around after I’d finished and now that I’ve (grudgingly) accepted it I can say that it was a good send off for Brett.  There had been some sexual tension in the first three and I was very excited about how that panned out.

I plan on telling author, Karen Olson, how I wish there’d be more books in the series when I track her down at Bouchercon 2012 in October.  I registered today, so let me know if you want to come or meet up.

I checked this book out of the library.

20 thoughts on “Ink Flamingos by Karen E. Olson

1. BermudaOnion says:

When I first heard about this series I figured it wasn’t for me since I don’t like tattoos, but it sounds like it’s really about the mysteries and characters. I need to give it a try.

2. Literary Feline says:

I am glad you enjoyed this one, Stacy! I have it on my shelf to read and hope to get to it soon. I’m going to miss Brett. 😦

3. Heather says:

Good mystery series with an awesome female protagonist? Yes! I will grab the first in the series. I like it when they wind up the series after 3 or four books, though. I’m thinking of the Kay Scarpetta series. I enjoyed them til I realized she was getting attacked by serial killers every book and after more than twenty books….my believability goes way down. So I think it’s a good idea to end a series after a bit 🙂

4. Mary says:

it’s hard to say goodbye to characters and a series but I like that the author didn’t keep going and going (cough Evanavich/StephaniePlum cough) until the series and characters became just plain annoying. Ooh, did I just rant?

5. Carol says:

This series has been on my to-read list for a while, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’m actually happy that it’s only 4 books long, makes me more likely to pick it up sooner.

6. Karen Olson says:

So happy you liked the book, Stacy! And I do hope you track me down at Bouchercon. I’m on a panel at 12:15 on Thursday, something about unusual jobs…please come and introduce yourself!! But you won’t be able to talk me into writing another book in the series, sorry. My publisher didn’t want any more, and that’s fine. I took Brett full circle and am happy where she’s at, at the end of Ink Flamingos. I’ve actually got a young adult mystery and a middle grade action adventure time travel book that my agent is going to start submitting to editors soon.

• stacybuckeye says:

Thanks for stopping by again, Karen! I get super excited whenever an author takes the time. I am sorry that the publisher didn’t want more Brett, obviously they have a short attention span 🙂 I will definitely say hi at Bouchercon.
      Thanks so much for the great series!

7. Staci@LifeintheThumb says:

Only 4?? Well at least I will be able to catch up!! I see that Karen stopped by and left you a comment about the publisher not wanting any more of the Ink series..that’s a bummer because I liked Brett too!!