Movie Talk – Is Meryl Streep as good as the critics tell me she is?

In the last two weeks I’ve watched two of Streep’s latest movies –It’s Complicated (2009) and Hope Springs (2012).  Both are romantic comedies (although I’m using the word comedy in connection to Hope Springs very lightly).  I’ve never considered her a favorite and I’ve never quite understood what all the fuss was about.  Am I in the minority here?

I think my favorite movie of hers is Silkwood. I loved her as Karen, a plant worker bucking the system.  I also liked her in The Devil Wears Prada and It’s Complicated.  I’ve seen some of her classics, like Sophie’s Choice and The Deer Hunter, and they were fine.  She’s also had a few clunkers like She-Devil and Hope Springs (IMO).  Maybe I just haven’t seen her in her best roles.  She’s been nominated for 17 Oscars so maybe longevity is part of her appeal.

So, do you consider Meryl Streep the best actress working today?  What is your favorite Streep movie?

19 thoughts on “Movie Talk – Is Meryl Streep as good as the critics tell me she is?

1. jennygirl says:

I don’t think all of her movies are winners, but she has this ability to turn herself into any character. And her acting is quite compelling. I also saw some special about Streep, and she came off as quite down to earth, and grateful for everything she has. She didn’t sound like your typical Hollywood type.

One actress who I think is overlooked because of Streep, is Glenn Close. She is also quite phenomenal.

Didn’t see the first two movies because I’m not that into romantic comedies.

• stacybuckeye says:

I think It’s Complicated is worth it, but I Alec Baldwin really cracks me up, so that helps 🙂
      I have seen her in interviews and she does seem grateful for everything she has which is very refreshing for an actress.

2. Malinda says:

“Meryl Streep could play batman and be the right choice.” Meryl is queen of movies. There is a reason why so many actors look up to her and directors and producers want her in their movies. Every big name in Hollywood will tell you how much they respect her. She is incredibly talented, she has never had to walk around in lingerie or half naked in a swim suit to get attention or book roles. She simply is just so bloody good at what she does. She becomes her character. Picking a favourite movie is hard. I personally own 30 of them. I am a proud Streeper. A couple of my favourites are; Sophie’s Choice, The Devil Wears Prada, A Cry In The Dark, Mamma Mia, It’s Complicated, Kramer vs. Kramer, Doubt, Julie & Julia, Marvin Room, Death Becomes Her, Silkwood and ok lets just say I love them all before I list every movie she has- ever made. Hope Springs doesn’t come out here in Australia till Thursday. I can already tell I am going to love it.

3. Jillian ♣ says:

She’s my favorite actress. I love the peaceful quality of her acting — the way it contrasts with the sometimes incredible sharpness of her emotion under the surface. My favorite of her films is Out of Africa

4. thebumbles says:

Kramer vs Kramer, Sophie’s Choice – but for me, The Devil Wears Prada proved that she truly could do any role – that versatility is what makes her stand out and keeps her at the top of the pack.

5. Mary says:

The first M. Streep movie I saw was Sophie’s Choice. Devastating but amazing (her performance). I think what I like most about her is her ability to become her role – assume a look, accent, persona, etc. I also enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada. She was wonderful.
    Sorry to hear her latest didn’t work for you. I’ll wait for netflix.

6. jehara says:

I thought she was so fantastic as Julia Child. I also loved her portrayal in The Devil Wears Prada. As previously stated by many others, she can literally morph into any character. Her portrayals are layered and nuanced. I’m a fan. I haven’t seen Hope Springs, but I thought It’s Complicated was silly and fun. AB + MS made it work.

7. thetruebookaddict says:

She is the queen of accents. Like Malinda said, she could play Batman and be the right choice. I loved her in Julie and Julia, The French Lieutenant’s Woman, Out of Africa, The Devil Wears Prada. I don’t think there’s a movie she’s done that I didn’t like. I thought It’s Complicated was absolutely hilarious. It was so good!

8. Delia (Postcards from Asia) says:

I loved her in The Hours, that is a must see! Also in “Doubt” (she plays a nun), The Devil Wears Prada, Mamma Mia! and Death Becomes Her (entertaining), Julie and Julia, It’s Complicated, The Bridges of Madison County and I could go on… If I could pick one I’d say The Hours. That was a very good movie.

9. Jenners says:

I’ve really enjoyed her in so many things — Mamma Mia, The Bridges of Madison County (only she could make that movie feel real unlike the book), Out of Africa. I just love how she can be so many different people. I mean she is Julia Child and then she sings Abba songs. How can you not love her!

10. Julie says:

I admire Meryl Streep because of her versitatliy. She’s able to embody the characters she plays. There is always something about them that draws you to them and it’s her ablility that makes them that way. I have to say I didn’t really think It’s Complicated was great but I loved her in it. Any one else and I would have turned it off. I never turn off The Devil Wears Prada for her and for yummy Simon Baker.