Sundays with Gage – A day at the zoo? yawn

This photo sums up Gage’s first trip to the zoo.  Ehh.  The Cleveland Zoo is free on Mondays so we thought it was a good day to try it.  We had NO IDEA how many families take advantage of this free fun.  It was raining strollers in there.  Gage was fine as long as he was running wild and free, but once we put him in his stroller (for everyone’s safety-the boy is fast) he was not happy.

He did get to visit the petting zoo, but again running wild and free straight for a donkey got him snatched up by mom pretty quick.

So, it may be next year before we try the zoo again.  But, hey, at least it didn’t cost anything 🙂

This zoo had a lot of pink flamingos and they looked like cotton candy on a stick.  I usually like the penguins or bears best, both of which we missed out on this time.

Do you have a favorite animal at the zoo?

August 12, 2012 - Posted by | Gage |

1. Well hopefully it will be more fun next year! I always liked it when the lions would actually be out and about but more times than not they would just be sleeping.

Comment by Amused By Books (@amusedbybooks) | August 12, 2012 | Reply

2. That’s too funny. At least Gage looked cute in that hat!

Comment by BermudaOnion | August 12, 2012 | Reply

3. How cute he is!! I’m trying to think back to when we took our girl to the zoo for the first time. I think it was when she was about Gage’s age or maybe just past 2. There was a kind of bridge thing over the giraffe enclosure that you could walk across. It put you right about the level of their heads, so you could see their tongues and mouths really well. Our Sam took one look at the black tongue (their tongues are black) coming out of the giraffe’s mouth and screamed bloody murder, “Snake! Snake! Snake!”. She was probably 12 or 13 before she would agree to look at a giraffe again! LOL

I like the penguins. Their exhibit is always cool. 🙂

Comment by Kay | August 12, 2012 | Reply

4. I love the Elephants and Giraffes! We haven’t been to the zoo in years. I bet Gage will like the zoo in a few years:)

Comment by redladysreadingroom | August 12, 2012 | Reply

5. I love the giraffes!! too bad it was over-crowded!!! He will probably be crazy about the animals next year!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | August 12, 2012 | Reply

6. He does look adorable in the hat! Too bad so many others know about the free day!!!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | August 12, 2012 | Reply

7. We used to go on the free days and eventually had a family membership. I haven’t been to our zoo in years but I loved looking at the giraffes.

Comment by Mary | August 13, 2012 | Reply

8. Animals are OK, but every zoo needs trains!

Comment by snoozing on the sofa | August 13, 2012 | Reply

9. Awww… the zoo is fun! I avoid free day for exactly the reason you described, but I’m sure the kids love it.

Comment by Leslie | August 13, 2012 | Reply

10. Hopefully it will be more fun next year. I personally love the zoo in late October, it’s less crowded and cooler. I don’t know what my favorite animals are, usually the big cats.

Comment by Carol | August 13, 2012 | Reply

11. aww, kids and the zoo. it’ll probably go better next year! 🙂 fun to try though and probably irresistible.

Comment by Marie (@bostonbibliophl) | August 13, 2012 | Reply

12. I love the zoo! I have fond memories of going on Christmas Day.

Comment by Care | August 14, 2012 | Reply

13. Hubby and I were talking the other day about taking Maggie to the zoo but decided against it. We think she’s still too young to have any real fun. For now, we’ll stick to the park with the ducks. 🙂

Comment by Literary Feline | August 14, 2012 | Reply

14. We just went to the zoo with Gabe this summer for the first time. He really loved the pandas! I don’t know what i’d do if Gabe were a runner!

Comment by Heather | August 14, 2012 | Reply

15. Yes, free days anywhere will be…a zoo! I love watching the lions and tigers get fed at the one in San Francisco.

Comment by Stephanie D. | August 15, 2012 | Reply

16. I’m sure the free days are insane!

Comment by Jenners | August 15, 2012 | Reply

17. Monkeys and apes are definitely my favorite. We took our kids to a discount day at the science museum once (without knowing it was a discount day) and it was total chaos.

Comment by Alyce (@AtHomeWithBooks) | August 16, 2012 | Reply