Book Problem, Year 4

Every May for the past few years I’ve stacked up all of of my unread books (always the same way) and taken a picture to share with you all.  In May 2008 my stack looked like this. My post lamenting my problem in May 2009 is here. Last year’s picture is here with its 407 books plus those 5 box tops I did not count.

So, when I recreated the stacks this year I was happy to discover that I’d read 32.  I think that’s pretty good considering how my reading time has suffered this past year. I gave away or will give away 24 more.  I even took out a whole box of books from the bottom and have been giving them away this year.  This was what it looked like with all of those books gone.

So, I was feeling good.  Until I added in the books I bought or received this year, which was 104.

So, the grand total of unread books, when I add in the 149 from the boxes that I didn’t include last year is…

604!

To get to this number I pulled out 15 old titles that I know I will never read and will be giving them away on June 1st, so come back for that.

So, c’mon, fess up.  How many books do you have sitting around waiting to be read?

23 thoughts on “Book Problem, Year 4

1. Kay says:

Didn’t we have this same conversaton last year or the year before? LOL

I have way too many books, most of which are packed up in one way or another (boxes or bins) and in one of our two storage units. I do know that when we get moved, I’ll be doing some massive giving away, in various ways.

2. Beth Hoffman says:

Oh my … I probably have close to the same number of unread books as you do. In fact, I’ve recently had to put myself on a book-buying freeze for a while!

• stacybuckeye says:

By doing this every year I go a good six months without buying more than a few books. I know I’ll have to add them to the pile next year if I don’t get it read.

• stacybuckeye says:

Going by your Monday posts I’m guessing you have at least one room devoted to your books – maybe more 🙂

3. Nise' says:

If I count them then I have to admit it is crazy out of control, and I’d rather pretend to be ignorant of it! LOL Many of them are finding their way to my daughter’s house, oh dear, I am passing on this addiction!

• stacybuckeye says:

That is a very good addiction to pass along 🙂 By doing this every year it makes me hold myself in check. Wonder how ,amy I’d have if I never counted or took a day to recreate my stacks. We might have to buy a bigger house.

4. StephanieD says:

Yikes! Sorry but I can barely tell the difference. Good luck with whittling that down. But who am I to talk? I’m not even going to count my unread books.

5. Teddyree says:

hahaha too funny, the only thing that has stopped me from going the same way is my kindle, I still have an enormous number of unread books but at least they aren’t taking over the house LOL

6. julie says:

You just made me feel so much better! I have no where near that many. Maybe 50-75 but that includes those I have on my TBR list for the rest of the year. 🙂

Good luck!