Sundays with Gage – Happy Spitter?

Gage has Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).  It’s relatively common, up to 35% of infants have some degree in the first three months.  Gage was only diagnosed after his scary stay in the ICU and is now on medication.  This week we’ve been to our pediatrician twice and the GI doctor once because his spit-ups/vomiting became worse after we started him on vegetables last weekend.  The doctors have assured me that he is fine and this excessive spitting up shall pass.  Someday.  Until then they only want Gage to be a “happy spitter”.  Do you think he looks like a happy spitter?

GERD is not fun and most pediatricians are reluctant to diagnose it in infants because it is mistaken for colic and/or it passes on its own after a few months.  After Gage’s non-diagnosis in February our pediatrician thinks that GERD may have been a contributing factor, although not the sole reason.  I will take as much spitting up as necessary as long as Gage eventually grows out of it and we don’t have any more scares like the one we had.

I’m hoping next week to have a report on his first teeth (I feel two poking through).

19 thoughts on “Sundays with Gage – Happy Spitter?

1. Kay says:

Do you think that some babies have always had GERD and they are just now putting a name to it? I think so. I know that my girl couldn’t tolerate regular formula and we had to use soy formula. She still spit up a lot, but it decreased over time. We had one friend whose baby was a projectile spitter and anytime you picked him up, you better have a towel over your shoulder or your clothes would be ruined. That kiddo is about 24 now and was one of the guys that helped renovate my house. LOL

Cute picture of your little guy and I’m glad you’re getting some answers. I also hope that Gage won’t have any more big issues to scare his Mommy! 🙂

2. virginie says:

Dont’t worry he looks very fine and happy to me! Camille had lots of throwing up moments. Remember that hospital stay we had, that was because of it. He is a happy baby and looks a lot like his mom:)Kisses.

3. rhapsodyinbooks says:

I would think what Kay does – that lots of spitting has always gone on but not necessarily with a name! More like with warning signs: i.e, “if you pick him up, better put a towel over your shoulder!” I’m so glad it isn’t anything more than that, at any rate, and he does look so happy! Yay!

4. jennygirl says:

Cute babies make for happy spitters, don’t they? A few girls at work had babies with GERD, but the babes all outgrew it. Go figure 🙂 Good luck with teething!

5. Margot says:

At least you have a big name for his ailment. I like it when the pediatrician said he’ll grow out of it. I agree with his grandma’s comment. He is such a cutie.

6. Florinda says:

My stepson has GERD too, but his wasn’t diagnosed as early as Gage’s. He’s 11 now, and rarely has episodes these days, thanks to an effective regimen of medications, watching what he eats…and outgrowing some of the symptoms, just as your pediatrician says.

7. Jenners says:

He totally looks like a happy spitter!!! What a cutie. And I’m glad you got some answers and it sounds like something that is unpleasant but treatable. Whew!

8. Caspette says:

Glad you have a sort of answer.

He definately looks like a happy spiiter 🙂 Two teeth yay. My little monky’s two bottom front came through over night with no pain or crying yay. Was great. Hopefully teething is not causing you drama.