Deadly Promise, by Brenda Joyce

Deadly Promise by Brenda Joyce: Book CoverFinished 2-28-10, rating 4/5, Romance, pub. 2003

Book 6 in the Deadly series (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3) (Book 4) (Book 5)

“You have made this so very complicated by wishing to marry me.  A part of me wishes we could go back to the way things were a month ago!”

“A month ago Rick’s wife hadn’t returned and you were denying all the passion you feel for me.  Poor Francesca.”  He was only half-mocking.  “Torn between tawdry lust and true love.”

She trembled.  “That isn’t fair,” she tried.

“Life is rarely fair.  And do you deny it is Rick that you love?  Do you?  I am the man you merely wish to bed.”  He stared, waiting for her response, his eyes as hard as obsidian.

Chapter 1

It’s 1902 in New York City and Francesca is back from a month out of town when she went off by herself to contemplate her romantic predicament.  She is in love with Rick, an unhappily married man, but his half-brother Calder is her best friend and she accepted his marriage proposal.  But can she go through with a wedding when she loves another man?

There are young, beautiful girls being kidnapped from the streets and sold to brothels and Francesca is determined to find these girls alive.  Only this time Calder insists on accompanying her and causing more tension with Rick.  This book is more about the heat between Calder and Francesca and it was hot!  Calder is one of those bad boys that girls think they can tame, only Francesca doesn’t want to and he doesn’t want to stifle her ambitions either.  I love them together.

I know you are wondering when this series will end and you only have two more Sundays to read about Francesca’s exploits.  I encourage all you romance lovers to give this series a try.

This book is from my personal library.

March 7, 2010 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. I just checked Amazon for the first book in the series. I can pre-order because it’s being rereleased in May. I guess I’ll start with that : )

Comment by Mary | March 7, 2010 | Reply

• Yay! I hope you like it 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2010 | Reply

2. Oh I am going to give this series a whirl!! I love the quote that you included today!!! 😀

Comment by Staci-Life in the Thumb | March 7, 2010 | Reply

• This series has two good heroes, but Calder’s my guy.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2010 | Reply

3. I’m glad you’re enjoying this series!

Comment by bermudaonion | March 7, 2010 | Reply

• It’s fun to reread a favorite series. Especially since I rarely take the time to do it.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2010 | Reply

4. I’m enjoying hearing about this series. It sounds like Francesca is a great character and I like the time period.

Comment by Margot | March 10, 2010 | Reply

5. […] is Book 7 in the Deadly series (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3) (Book 4) (Book 5) (Book 6) Francesca had always assumed she would one day marry a man like her father, someone respectable, […]

Pingback by Deadly Illusions, by Brenda Joyce « Stacy's Books | March 14, 2010 | Reply

6. […] 8 of the Deadly series (Book 1) (Book 2) (Book 3) (Book 4) (Book 5) (Book 6) (Book 7) Her grip on the paperweight tightened.  She debated turning to flee, but in a moment […]

Pingback by Deadly Kisses, by Brenda Joyce « Stacy's Books | March 21, 2010 | Reply

7. […] Favorite Book(s) – the Deadly series by Brenda Joyce.  I did a re-read of this romantic suspense series that I liked so much set in 1902 New York. I reviewed books 6-8 of the 9 book series this month, Deadly Kisses, Deadly Illusions, Deadly Promise. […]

Pingback by A look back, March 2010 « Stacy's Books | March 31, 2016 | Reply