Sundays with Gage – postcards, paper and paints

IMG_2023Gage received his first train postcard addressed especially to him and it traveled all the way from California.  We’d like to thank our blogger friends Wendy and Mouse who took the time to mail it.  You guys rock! I told him it came from California and when Jason came home later Gage told him it cam from Africa, ha! And in a similar vein if any of you would like to bring a smile like this to my son’s face and add to his train postcard collection we would greatly appreciate it 🙂 Good luck finding a train postcard!

What do you do with a hyper 4-year-old who was off school for 6 days?  This!

IMG_2037

You roll some paper down the longest part of your hardwood floor and go crazy!  Each part of ‘my project’ as Gage like’s to call it, took only 5-10 minutes.  We did paints, tracing, tape, coloring, patterns, stickers and whatever else tickled our fancy at the moment.  After the looong weekend I rolled it up and put it away and since then he asks every day to get it back out to work on it some more.  It was a win win and all it required was rolling out a red carpet of white paper.

project1IMG_2039IMG_1984[1]

A few tips if you want to try this at home.  Clean you floor thoroughly beforehand and then be prepared to just close your eyes to whatever you might find down there over the course of the next few days.  You will spend more time on the hard floor than you’d like so be prepared.  And, of course, make the kid do most of the work 🙂

January 25, 2015 - Posted by | Gage

1. Love this idea! Of course my kids are grown, but I have grandkids, unfortunately their hallway has carpeting so don’t know if that would work, but perhaps just across their kitchen…
    If I see a train postcard I will pick it up for him.I understand the enjoyment factor here for him. When my son was young he was obsessed with the Titanic, and we had all the kid edition books of this subject: the pop up books, picture books, chapter books, everything. I would’ve preferred trains 🙂

Comment by View From My Home | January 25, 2015 | Reply

• Yes, I can see how an obsession with the Titanic might get a little morbid 😉 BUT I would find that more interesting than the trains!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 25, 2015 | Reply

2. What a cute idea and sounds like it was a big hit. I will definitely see if I can find a train postcard for Mr. Gage. If I find one, I’ll email for your address. Have a good week, Stacy!

Comment by Kay | January 25, 2015 | Reply

3. When my kids were little we did all sorts of paper projects like that. Have you traced Gage and let him color himself in yet? That was always a hit with the girls.

Comment by lakesidemusing | January 25, 2015 | Reply

• I love that, Joann! I never thought about tracing the whole body. Oh, he’s going to love it!!!!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 25, 2015 | Reply

4. And I’ll keep an eye out for a train postcard, too!

Comment by lakesidemusing | January 25, 2015 | Reply

5. Great idea for a project! I wish I could think of such creative ideas!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | January 25, 2015 | Reply

• Well, I didn’t think of much. I just provided all of the materials 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 25, 2015 | Reply

6. If only I would have known you back when we went to Norway and rode on a train there! Not that he would know Norway from California from Africa, but someday he would! I will have to keep that in mind the next time we ride one. And kudos to you and your “project”! You must have the patience of Job. I’m not good at closing my eyes.

Comment by sandynawrot | January 25, 2015 | Reply

• Haha, yes, it got a little dicey on the floor, I admit.
      It’s difficult to find train postcards so I thought I’d put it out there. 5 years from now you’ll see one and think of Gage and by then he’ll be on to something else (God willing!).

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 25, 2015 | Reply

7. What a great project, Stacy. I’ll keep an eye out for train postcards 🙂

Comment by Mary | January 25, 2015 | Reply

8. I love the project you and Gage did. I don’t have hardwood floors but it would be fun to do in my kitchen on the linoleum–just maybe not quite as long. 🙂

I’m so glad Gage liked the postcard! I have a few more train postcards for him, and every time Mouse sees them she says, “Those are for my friend.” 🙂 I’ll send another one this next month.

Comment by Literary Feline | January 26, 2015 | Reply

9. […] train postcard collection […]

Pingback by 2015, A Year of Sundays with Gage | Stacy's Books | December 27, 2015 | Reply