Weekends with Gage- the train obsession

train 1Gage has always loved trains but these past few weeks he can talk of little else. It’s his favorite thing at the library so I can usually peruse the picture books and watch him at the same time, knowing he is unlikely to stray from the tracks. So, we have a rotating train book collection. These three are our current train reading material.

We’ve had The Little Engine That Could for months.  Our library lets you renew things as long as no one else has requested it.  It was his first introduction to the train funnel.  This morning when  my mom went to wake him up he opened his eyes, looked over at her, and said ‘funnel’.  Yea, kid’s got trains on the brain.

My Little Train is a nighttime favorite for Gage.  Even though I have and do read it to him, he considers this Daddy’s book.  It’s cute.

I just picked up Freight Train last week and Grandma has already had to read it, oh maybe a few dozen times since she arrived on Thursday.

Today, I’ll be making another trip to the library to find some replacement train books.  Any good recommendations out there?

One more way we keep the addict addicted is to take him to the kiddie park every two weeks where he gets to choose from a half dozen rides, but his favorites remain the two train ones.  All aboard the crazy train! These pics are from last night.

train 3train 2

August 18, 2013 - Posted by | Gage

1. I love that Kiddy Park train! What a lucky boy!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | August 18, 2013 | Reply

2. Cute pics! As a child I loved “The Little Engine That Could”.

Comment by Beth Hoffman | August 18, 2013 | Reply

3. Our great nephew loved trains too but I’m not sure what books they read to him.

My mother used to read The Little Engine that Could to Vance – when she got to a certain spot in the book, he would slam his hand down and shout, “No!” We never could figure out why but my mom has not been able to get rid of that book.

Comment by bermudaonion (Kathy) | August 18, 2013 | Reply

• Too funny! A few weeks ago a sitter was reading Little Engine to him and she said he got very emotional.? Not sure why or where.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 18, 2013 | Reply

4. There are many books that I still know by heart because it was the obsession for awhile! Every once and awhile I will quote books to my kids to see if they remember…..they usually so. The train rides look fun!

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | August 18, 2013 | Reply

• The train obsession keeps coming back. It might go away for a week, but it’s always back 😉

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 25, 2013 | Reply

5. The Little Engine that Could is such a classic – I remember reading it to my girls, too! Does Gage like Thomas the Tank Engine?

Comment by lakesidemusing | August 19, 2013 | Reply

6. We have The Little Engine that Could, and at this point A just likes to point out all the trains and make train sounds. I remember it from when I was a kid, too.

Here’s a list I got from another mom:
    Steam Train, Dream Train by Sherri Rinker
    Trains Lift and Look by Felicity Brooks
    Chugga Chugga Choo Choo by Kevin Lewis
    Freight Train by Donald Crews
    Trains by Byron Barton

Comment by Word Lily | August 19, 2013 | Reply

• We have Freight Train and he loves it, but I’d like more story! I’ll have to check out the others on the list.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 25, 2013 | Reply

7. So fun! I love that he loves trains!!!!

Comment by Heather | August 19, 2013 | Reply

• Sure. It’s great until you’ve heard the word train for the hundredth time!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 25, 2013 | Reply

8. We have The Pony Engine which is basically The Little Engine that could but a train on the way to the circus. It was my brothers when he was a kid. My child also loves trains and will sit through The Little Engine That Could for hoursssss. We also have The Potty Train which is about potty training and a trains, There’s also My Big Train book and we have Thomas the train 123 book and Thomas ABC book.

Comment by The Many Thoughts of a Reader | August 19, 2013 | Reply

• I’ll have to find The Potty Train. Potty training is not going well here, no matter how many times that Elmo tells him everyone does it!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 25, 2013 | Reply

9. How cool to have such a passion for something at Gage’s age:)

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | August 20, 2013 | Reply

• Yea, maybe he’ll be an engineer 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 25, 2013 | Reply

10. He loves his trains and books. It so fun to read to him because after the first reading he can usually tell me the story! It is a real joy to go to the Kiddie Park and watch him on the rides.

Comment by Gage's Grandma | August 20, 2013 | Reply

11. So cute!

Comment by Amused By Books (@amusedbybooks) | August 22, 2013 | Reply

12. Isn’t it funny how kids can get obsessed with things? He’s adorable.

Comment by Carol | August 22, 2013 | Reply

• Thanks, Carol! I’m hoping for a new obsession!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 25, 2013 | Reply

13. I love our train museum. It’s about time we visit again, especially as the weather cools down. I love how Gage is so passionate about trains! He’s so adorable. 🙂

Comment by Literary Feline | August 26, 2013 | Reply