J is for Jane Eyre, the Graphic Novel, original text

Blogging from A-Z

Jane Eyre The Graphic Novel: Original TextJane Eyre, the graphic novel. Finished 4-10-13, rating 5/5, classics/graphic novels, 141 pages, pub. 2009

I love Jane Eyre.  It’s been many, many years since I read the classic, but over the years I’ve watched as many of the film adaptations as I can fit in.  As much as I love Jane I have a more lukewarm response to graphic novels.  I’ve only read a few but none have really wowed me.  But, this one was the perfect combination of a favorite heroine, quality storytelling, and illustrations that felt authentic to the original story.  In this version they use Bronte’s own words to tell the story.  Here’s a look at one of my favorite passages of the orignal…

015

For those that don’t know, Jane was left in the care of a cold aunt and abusive cousin. Her spirit remained even through years at a school for orphans and the death of a friend.  When she arrives, as a governess, at Thornfield she blossoms, only her troubles are far from over.

Amy Corzine did a great job with the storyboard.  This complex story that follows orphan Jane from Gateshead Hall to Lowood School to Thornfield and beyond is well represented in its 140 pages.  I think it perfect for Jane lovers.  As a fan I never felt shortchanged.  There is also a Quick Text version that uses the same art but simplifies language, but I can’t vouch for that one.

There is a very interesting biography of Charlotte and her gifted, but tragedy-stricken family.  I found it fascinating.  Also a few pages in the end showed how they put the book together.

Whether you are a fan already or just want to know about Jane without having to read the book, I recommend this wholeheartedly.  I plan on checking out a few more of these graphic novels.  They are very well done.  I had this one on my shelves.

April 11, 2013 - Posted by | 5 Star Books | ,

1. I’ve never read Jane Eyre (I know, smack me down) and I really wish my library would get this GN!!! It is the perfect solution for me, as I can’t seem to read anything in print for longer than 30 seconds. In fact, I think I’ll go back and check again. Maybe they had a change of mind.

Comment by Sandy | April 11, 2013 | Reply

2. I’ve never read Jane Eyre either and think this would make a great introduction for me.

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 11, 2013 | Reply

3. This looks wonderful! I own the graphic version of Pride and Prejudice… a nice change of pace.

Comment by lakesidemusing | April 11, 2013 | Reply

4. Whew! For a second there I was thinking that man was Rochester! lol. I was thinking ew…Glad it’s that evil headmaster guy instead. I will have to get this. I have Pride and Prejudice in graphic novel format. Loved it!

Comment by hmsgofita | April 11, 2013 | Reply

5. I love Jane Eyre too. I could see the movie a million times! Wait! I think I already have! LOL

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | April 11, 2013 | Reply

6. My grad school pal recently brought this to my attention. She says that she teaches it to her students which I think is fantastic. One of these days I need to get my hands on this one!

Comment by Trish | April 11, 2013 | Reply

7. The graphic novels I choose are of those of books I am familiar with and have enjoyed them.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | April 11, 2013 | Reply

8. I love graphic novels so this really appeals to me!! I have the comic version of P&P!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | April 11, 2013 | Reply

9. I’ll have to search this one out. I don’t believe I’ve read it and it would be a good one for my kids.

Blogging A to Z Challenge http://www.shellygoodmanwright.com/apps/blog/show/25564441-j-is-for-jessica

Comment by Writer-Shelly Goodman-Wright | April 11, 2013 | Reply

10. I’m really something here, I read 2 or 3 books a week but have never heard of graphic novels, wow thanks the look good fun,
    #atozchallenge
    maggie winter

Comment by http://expatbrazil.co.uk | April 12, 2013 | Reply

11. your kidding–Jane Eyre is a graphic novel?

Comment by kelley | April 12, 2013 | Reply

12. Your review inspired me. I definitely want to read this one.

Comment by Gage's Grandma | April 12, 2013 | Reply

13. That is awesome, I love graphic novels. I read Jane for the first time a couple years ago because after reading The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (which is super silly fun if you haven’t read it) I had to read the book he was “messing” with.

Comment by ocdreader | April 14, 2013 | Reply

14. I binged on the Austen graphic novels earlier this year, and now I really want to read this one. I loved Jane Eyre when I read it in college, but I’m due for a re-read.

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | April 17, 2013 | Reply

15. […] J is for Jane Eyre, the Graphic Novel, original text (stacybuckeye.wordpress.com) […]

Pingback by Essay: What Hollywood Doesn’t Get About Jane Eyre | Critical Margins | May 8, 2013 | Reply

16. I really need to try this, because I haven’t had much luck with graphic novels, but since I already love this book it may work for me, and I’m interested to see how it worked out, especially since you liked it so much!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | July 25, 2013 | Reply

17. I haven’t read Jane Eyre, either, alas. It’s on my list for this year, though!

Comment by Word Lily | July 25, 2013 | Reply

18. As you already know, I read this and enjoyed the graphic novel format. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | August 16, 2013 | Reply