Agatha Christie #1 The Mysterious Affair at Styles

The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot Series) by Agatha Christie: Book CoverFinished 4-22-11, rating 4.5/5, mystery, 224 pages, pub. 1920

Emily Inglethorp– wealthy mistress of Styles.  Murdered in front of her family.

Mr. Inglethorp– Gold digger and hated and suspected by all.

John Cavendish– Oldest member of the family and in need of money.

Mary Cavendish– Wife of John who is carrying on with another man.

Lawrence Cavendish– Younger brother without charm or influence.

Cynthia– Lives at the house at the invitation of the family.

Miss Howard– Companion to Mrs. Inglethorp.

Dr. Bauerstein– A little too familiar with certain memebers of the family.

Captain Hastings has been sent home to recover from sickness on the field of WWI, but has nowhere to go when he runs into his old friend, John Cavendish who invites him to stay at the family estate of Styles in Essex.  While there Hastings sees his old friend and ex-Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot, who is also familiar with the family.  When Emily is murdered in locked room (and yes, also in front of her family), Hastings and Poirot are on the case and find no shortage of suspects.

So, I’ve never read an Agatha Christie novel (but I did listen to one on a car trip last year).  Yes, I know, why then sign up for a challenge to read ALL of her over 80 novels?  I have no good reason except that I kept reading Margot’s posts for the challenge, I like mysteries and I wanted to do it.  The challenge is to read them in order, so I started with this, her first, and confess that it was better than I thought it would be.  I was really impressed by how easy  and entertaining this book was.  Captain Hastings and Hercule Poirot are both characters I look forward to seeing again in later books and am going to see if I can track down the movie for this one.  I loved the mystery and did not figure it out until I was told by Hercule.  Hopefully, I’ll get more adept at recognizing the clues as I continue.

I am happy I signed up for this challenge and recommend this book to all mystery lovers.  It does not feel as though it was written in 1920 and I think you’ll be impressed at Christie’s debut novel.

Fun Agatha Christie fact – Agatha Christie is in the Guinness Book of World Records as the World’s Bestselling Author. Her books have sold over 2 billion copies in 44 languages.

I checked this book out of the library.

April 23, 2011 - Posted by | 4 1/2 Star Books |

1. I read all of Agatha Christie novels between ages 13-15 😀 I was addicted to her novels!
    My favorite was “And then there were none”.
    Thanks for the interesting fact!

Comment by Misha | April 23, 2011 | Reply

• That’s a lot of Agatha Christie! I saw the movie based on this book and liked it.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 25, 2011 | Reply

2. I really want to get back to reading Agatha. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | April 23, 2011 | Reply

• Why not join the challenge?

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 25, 2011 | Reply

3. I’ve never read any of Christie’s work but really want to. This sounds like a good one to start with.

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 23, 2011 | Reply

• I’d recommend it for a starter. It worked for me.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 25, 2011 | Reply

4. I don’t think I’ve read this one, although like Misha I went through an Agatha Christie phase in my teens where I read one after another of her books.

Comment by Stephanie D. | April 23, 2011 | Reply

• All I read as a teen were romance novels 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 25, 2011 | Reply

5. I had a little chuckle when you said you hoped to get more adept at noticing clues in AC’s books. And I say…good luck with that! LOL

Seriously, AC is one of my favorite authors and I am always happy to see someone take the plunge. And now there are lots of lovely TV adaptations – a lot of which are quite good – some not so much.

Comment by Kay | April 23, 2011 | Reply

• You mean I’m not going to start figuring them out?! Rats!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 25, 2011 | Reply

6. This was my introduction to Christie and I really enjoyed it. I hope to read more of her books this summer!

Comment by Staci | April 23, 2011 | Reply

• Me too. I have the second one already.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 25, 2011 | Reply

7. I am so glad you jumped into Agatha’s world. You have lots of enjoyable reading ahead of you. I’m happy to see the comments above about reading Agathas in the teen years. That’s how I first got hooked. Now as an adult it’s pure pleasure to take a different look at her books. I know you’ll see the development in her writing, book by book. I’m so excited about your entry into the challenge. Happy Reading.

Comment by Margot | April 26, 2011 | Reply

8. […] 1. The Mysterious Affair at Styles reviewed here. […]

Pingback by Challenging Year « Stacy's Books | December 31, 2011 | Reply

9. […] BooksPlease, My Two Blessings, Wordsmithonia, Peace of Brain, Letters from a Hill Farm, spacebeer, Stacy’s Books, Seagreen Reader, Classic Mystery Hunt, Re-Reading Agatha Christie, and The Real […]

Pingback by Review: The Mysterious Affair at Styles, 1920 (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie – A Crime is Afoot | April 8, 2016 | Reply