Remember When, by Nora Roberts/JD Robb

Cover ImageFinished 11-18-10, rating 3.5/5, mystery, pub. 2003

She was a businesswoman, a solid member of the community, and a fraud.  In the back room of her store, she poured two cups of coffee and knew she was about to lie to a man she considered a friend.  And deny all knowledge of one she’d loved.

Chapter 1

This two part novel, written by romance writer Roberts and her alter ego mystery writer Robb, focuses on a New York City diamond heist.  In the first half of the book Laine has attempted to overcome her parentage by changing her name and not letting anyone in her new town of Angel’s Gap know that her father is an incarcerated thief, but her past finds her.  Laine is confronted by the murder of an old friend, her father, a killer who is stalking her, and a sexy man who may or may not be using her for his own gain.  Aside from the ridiculously fast way in which Laine fell in ‘love’ I enjoyed this first half of the story.  It was fun, suspenseful, and the characters were enjoyable.

The second half of the novel is part of the In Death Eve Dallas series and takes place over 50 years later in 2059.  I have never read this futuristic series so I was not familiar with Eve or her friends.  I thought this part of the book was okay.  I didn’t feel like I was missing anything by not having read the series, but I wasn’t that interested in it either.  We knew who the bad guy was fairly quickly and then it was just sort of biding time til the end.  If I was a fan of the series I may have enjoyed time with the characters, but as it was I didn’t care much.

The diamond heist that tied the two halves together was enough to make it interesting.  It is a fun, light read.

This is from my personal library and was chosen by Donna and Debby.

November 20, 2010 - Posted by | 3 1/2 Star Books |

1. This does sound interesting. I’ve read some of Roberts’ work, but I have read any of the work she’s written as Robb. This sounds like it might be a good introduction.

Comment by bermudaonion | November 20, 2010 | Reply

• I don’t know. I might start at the beginning of the series. Of course I haven’t read it yet so what do I know?!

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 22, 2010 | Reply

2. I don’t know if I’ve read many books set so far in the future like that – it does sound like an interesting twist!

Comment by Amused | November 20, 2010 | Reply

• It was interesting.

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 22, 2010 | Reply

3. I’ve never read any of her Robb books, but I’ve loved all of her other ones 😀 I guess I consider her a guilty pleasure!!

Comment by Staci | November 20, 2010 | Reply

• No reading should be done with guilt!!

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 22, 2010 | Reply

4. I’m a huge fan of Nora Roberts but I cannot say the same about J.D. Robb. Ideally I should like both since they are one and the same but it’s not like that.

Glad you loved the first half.

Comment by VioletCrush | November 21, 2010 | Reply

• This was my first experience with her JD Robb books so I’ll have to try another and see what I think.

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 22, 2010 | Reply

5. I’ve read only one of her J.D.Robb books and I think it was OK. I like Nora Roberts, particularly the trilogies she’s written.

Comment by Alice Teh | November 21, 2010 | Reply

• I do like Roberts ocassionally. It’s usually a fun and fast read.

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 22, 2010 | Reply

6. I’m a Nora Roberts fan but I’ve only read a few of her JD Robb books. I wasn’t excited by them. However, my youngest daughter really likes them more than Nora Roberts’. This would be a good book to share with her.

Comment by Margot | November 21, 2010 | Reply

7. I’ve been meaning to say – I love the new family photo. Such proud parents you both are.

Comment by Margot | November 21, 2010 | Reply

• Thanks, Margot. We’re pretty happy around here 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 22, 2010 | Reply

8. I have been wanting to read a Nora Roberts book for a long time. This one sounds good!

I hope you feeling good and Gage, how is he?!

Comment by givingreadingachance | November 21, 2010 | Reply

• Gage is spending too much time screaming his head off! He needs a new hobby.

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 22, 2010 | Reply