Fave Film #18 – Bridget Jones’s Diary

2001

Cast Renee Zellweger, Hugh Grant, Colin Firth

Bridget Jones has decided that this is the year for change, so she keeps a diary detailing her thoughts, sorrows, and exploits.  She’s sleeping with her boss and dealing with the break-up of her parents 35 year  marriage, but she’s still charming, sweet, and a little too obsessed with finding a man.

Why I love it – I will start with the obvious reasons first – Hugh and Colin.  Yes, yes, Renee was fantastic as Bridget (actually this may be my favorite Zellweger role), but it was the two leading men that kept my attention from wandering.  They were both perfect as the men on either side of Bridget.  I could, and have, watch these two in anything.  Colin did steal my heart in this one as a man of few, but absolutely romantic, words and longing gazes.

As for the movie, it had wit and humor and a main character that I both wanted to shake and hug, which is no small feat.  The girl is laugh out loud funny.  Bridget’s journey from clueless to fierce was wonderful to watch.  And Renee was fearless as Bridget, showing off the weight she had to gain for the role.

I liked it better than the book and that’s not easy for me to admit.  Perfect casting and great writing make this a lighthearted comedy worth watching.

Here’s my complete list of Top 100 Movies.

November 13, 2009 - Posted by | movies |

1. I agree with your assessment of this movie. So much fun to watch. I’ve enjoyed watching Hugh Grant’s development (and fall) as an actor. He’s very good in this one. Yesterday I watched him in Sense and Sensibility – one of his earliest roles. I’m going to find this one and watch it again this weekend. Thanks Stacy for bringing it to my attention.

Comment by Margot @ Joyfully Retired | November 13, 2009 | Reply

2. This is on my favorites list too.

Comment by Mary | November 13, 2009 | Reply

3. I love this movie. Even just watching the trailer makes me crack up. I read the book years ago and remembering really liking that, too, but it’s hard to say which I enjoyed more. The movie does have that edge of allowing you to watch both Colin Firth and Hugh Grant, so that might tip scales in its favor.

Comment by alitareads | November 13, 2009 | Reply

4. This is one of my all-time favorite movies!! I could watch it weekly and never get bored with it!! Great choice 🙂

Comment by Staci | November 13, 2009 | Reply

5. Oh yes, I think Hugh was at his best in this movie. Now I want to watch it again.

Comment by bermudaonion | November 13, 2009 | Reply

6. I love this movie. Especially the “It’s Raining Men” fight scene. I really need to watch it again one of these days. With two boys three and under it seems like all I watch these days is Bob the Builder. LOL!

Great review!

Comment by Laura's Reviews | November 13, 2009 | Reply

7. I have watched it several times and never get bored. I liked your assessment of it!

Comment by gautami tripathy | November 13, 2009 | Reply

8. Hi, Stacy! I’ve read the book AND seen the movie, and I have to say that I agree with you that both are highly entertaining. However, I still prefer the book, since it had a lot of nuances not captured in the movie. I’m also with you on saying that the movie’s cast is just so perfect!

Comment by Peter | November 13, 2009 | Reply