Thanks to everyone who mentioned not only my veterans, but your own.
My father is a Vietnam veteran and my husband served his time in the Navy, and Wednesday is the day to make sure we thank them and every other veteran for their service to America. That’s the theme of this week’s quiz. Leave the number and the answer and no googling – that’s cheating and no fun. All books are FICTION.
1. All this Civil War vet wanted to do is return home to North Carolina and the love of his life, but the journey was a difficult one. He was played by Jude Law in the movie version. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier – Bags, Books & Bon Jovi
2. Lee Child has written a thriller series based on this ex-military cop. Jack Reacher – Bags, Books & Bon Jovi
3. Two men return home from war in 1946 Mississippi. This book won the 2006 Bellwether Prize (recognizing social responsibility). MUDBOUND BY HILLARY JORDAN
4. A Vietnam soldier decides to go AWOL and walk to France. This won the National Book Award for fiction in 1979. GOING AFTER CACCIATO BY TIM O’BRIEN
5. This recent publication is a novel based loosely on the author’s life as a classmate of George W. Bush, marine in Vietnam, and the first Vietnam veteran to attend Harvard. LOON – A MARINE STORY BY JACK MCLEAN
6. This is the debut novel of the man who brought us Forest Gump. This is about an officer in the Vietnam War. Better Times Than These by Winston Groom – Bermudaonion
7. A son investigates his father’s life as a soldier in WWII. A surprising look at war from an author who writes bestselling legal thrillers. Ordinary Heroes by Scott Turow – Under the Boardwalk
8. This series by Robyn Carr always features a military veteran as hero of the story. – The Virgin River series – Bookfan
And a few notable veteran authors
9. This highly decorated Vietnam veteran is a current Virginia senator and says this about his writing, “I’ve written for a living all my life, so writing is as much a part of me as working out.” Senator Jim Webb – Linda B
10. This author of The Painted Veil served as a secret agent for the British during WWI. W Somerset Maugham – Fleurfisher