Fave Film #97 – Sense & Sensibility

1995

Cast- Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet, Hugh Grant

Directed by Ang Lee

Emma Thompson won an Oscar for Best Writitng, Screenplay based on material from another medium

Based on the Jane Austen novel, this book follows the classic novel closely.  The two Dashwood sisters, Elinor (Thompson) and Marianne (Winslet), both struggle to find happiness.  The sensible Elinor falls for Edward (Grant) and the passionate Marianne for Willoughby (Greg Wise).  However, neither will have a smooth road to true love.

Why I love it –My favorite thing about this film is the wonderful cast.  The top four and the surrounding cast were all wonderful.  I was charmed by Hugh Grant  as Edward in a way that I wasn’t in the book.  Winslet glowed as Marianne and it was great to see Rickman as a romantic lead.  And Thompson was perfectly sensible.  I also very much enjoyed the actors in the smaller parts, especially Hugh Laurie as the sarcastic Mr. Palmer.

I saw this movie when it came out and liked it and I recently listened to the novel and liked it too, but I liked the movie more this second time I saw it because I had read the book.  It brought the story to life and the actors made the story richer for me.  Of course, I love period dramas, romances, and these actors are favorites of mine, so it is no big shock that I would love this movie.

And because I know most of the ladies who love this time period, love to see the balls and the gowns, here’s a clip…

17 thoughts on “Fave Film #97 – Sense & Sensibility

1. Kals says:

I love this version too and strangely enough, I love the additions they’ve had- scenes that aren’t in the book but do so well in the film. Like Rickman reading to Winslet in that voice of his! * Swoon *

2. Michael says:

I have the screenplay for “Sense and Sensibility” in my hands right now, it is on my screenwriting bookshelf in my office. It is a great screenplay, and fans of the movie would probably also enjoy it for the stills from the set as well as Emma’s journal entries from throughout the filming process.

3. Staci says:

I bought this movie used at my library for 5 bucks and I watch it all of the time!! I love Rickman in this one too!! Heck, I love them all!!! One of my fave movies ever!

4. Margot says:

Bless your heart for adding the video clip. That was such a nice treat this morning. I am forcing myself to read the book again before I can watch the movie. It’s been many years and, like you, I think I will enjoy the movie more after the book.

5. Trisha says:

I have been meaning to message you and tell you to check out the movie, The Jane Austen Book Club. It was SO good!! I loved it, and I have not read any of her books yet. But I want to. Any favorite one that you would suggest I read first??

This was my first, so no recommendations yet. I have The book The Jane Austen Book CLub and after I read it I’ll check out the movie. Thanks 🙂

6. Lisa says:

I love this movie! I’m trying so hard to get to some books for the challenge but a lot of the movies have been on tv lately and there are so many good ones out there that that’s all I’ve done so far. But this is also one of my fav Austen books.

7. Violet says:

I haven’t seen the movie nor read the book although I do have the book in my TBR pile. Someday 🙂
    Hugh Grant is on/off for me. I have complete opp. Reactions to him depending on the movie. I hated him in Notting hill but loved him in Love Actually.

8. Celia says:

I have to agree with you that most of the casting for this movie was simply superb. You really see the great acting chops of Ms. Winslet, and Hugh Laurie as Mr. Palmer is insufferable and hilarious. Great, great characters. And good review, as well!