C is for Craig Coben’s Christian Crash Confederacy

Blogging from A to Z

Product DetailsAmerican on Purpose by Craig Ferguson. Finished book 4-2-14, rating 4/5, memoir, 268 pages, published 2009

There’s just something about Craig Ferguson that I love.  I don’t often watch his show BUT BG (Before Gage) I was able to catch him more often.  I think it’s the twinkle in his eye, his Scottish accent, and his intelligence that make him so easy to watch.  If you are a fan of his then you should read this book.  It tells of his life growing up in Scotland and his love affair with America from a young age.  He is first rocker, then stand-up comedian, then actor, but through it all he is an alcoholic with a drug problem.  His wrap-up at the end of why he became an American citizen will make you smile,  be a little proud and give some hope for our idealized potential (if you are American).  He tells his stories with humor, embarrassment, appreciation of his good luck, and honesty.  It was good memoir for fans.

This book is in my personal library and I finally read it!

authorHarlan Coben

I fell in love with Coben when I first read Tell No One in 2001 and went on to gobble up everything he wrote.  I had a chance to meet him at a book signing in Houston and he was so personable and funny and so appreciative of all the fans who had turned out that it made me that much more happy to support his career.   I actually purchase his new books in hardcover, one of the few I do that for.

bookA Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Some of you may know this Pulitzer Prize winning book (In 1969, at the age of 32 this college instructor took his own life. It was three years later that his mother found his manuscript and handed it over to Walker Percy. He in turn handed it over to the people who would make it a publishing success.)  The tragedy of how it came to be published adds an extra layer to the book, a books that is full of layers already.  It’s satire, the characters are outrageous and the New Orleans setting is perfect.  Not for everyone, but I laughed, a lot, and fell in love with Ignatius J. Reilly.

actorChristian Bale

He got me as Bruce Wayne in 2005’s  Batman Begins. I have gone on to watch and love him in so many other movies; The Prestige, 3:10 to Yuma, American Psycho.  The man has range and depth and I’m likely to watch any movie that he’s in the cast.  Do you have a favorite Bale movie?

movieCrash, 2004

I saw this many times the year it came out. I loved each of the individual stories and I loved how they all came together.  It made me think about stereotypes and how much one act or person can affect so many others.  It won an Oscar Best Picture and I don’t think you can go wrong with this all-star cast.

April 3, 2014 - Posted by | 4 Star Books, Blogging from A-Z |

1. I have a feeling I’d like American on Purpose too. I loved Confederacy of Dunces and really should reread it.

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 3, 2014 | Reply

• I was thinking it might be time for a re-read too. It’s been too long.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 3, 2014 | Reply

2. I agree with everything you said about Coben. He’s like a stand-up comedian. His publisher is pretty good about sending bloggers ARC’s, if you’re interested. And I’ve only seen Crash once but thought it was very well done.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | April 3, 2014 | Reply

3. I hope to read American on Purpose. I’m a big Ferguson fan

Comment by Tony Laplume | April 3, 2014 | Reply

• Oh, if you like him then you’ll love it. If you want I can mail you my copy.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 3, 2014 | Reply

• Generous, but then you wouldn’t have it anymore!

Comment by Tony Laplume | April 4, 2014

4. I like Harlan Coben too! I havent read nearly enough of his books. I follow him on Twitter, he comes across as a funny guy and VERY appreciative of all his fans.

Comment by Tara | April 3, 2014 | Reply

• As I mentioned to Lloyd I think he earns his fan by being consistently good and being so thankful and funny 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 3, 2014 | Reply

5. Never heard of anything/anyone you have listed! It’s very nice under my rock! “American on Purpose” sounds interesting. I may have to lift this rock and read it!
    Donna Smith
    The A-to-Z Challenge
    Mainely Write

Comment by Donna Smith | April 3, 2014 | Reply

• Some of my choices today weren’t very current 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 3, 2014 | Reply

6. Crash is such a good movie. I liked it for all the reasons you mention.

I have only read one Coben book so far, but I loved it and have always meant to read more by him.

Christian Bale is such a talented actor. Like you, I love him as Batman. He’s good in everything he does.

Comment by Literary Feline | April 3, 2014 | Reply

7. We have Christian Bale in common. Cool.

Comment by Wendy Tyler Ryan | April 3, 2014 | Reply

8. I’m a huge Harlan Coben fan too, listening to Six Years now and then I’ve got his new one to read. Nice to know he’s also a down-to-earth, decent guy in person. Christian Bale … tick 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | April 3, 2014 | Reply

• Oh, yes, Coben is fans dream 🙂 Maybe one day he’ll get to Australia.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2014 | Reply

9. Love Craig Ferguson…and Geoff!

Comment by Vicki | April 3, 2014 | Reply

• I’m on the fence about Geoff 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2014 | Reply

10. I’ve never seen much of Craig Fergusen. I need to check him out. Same with Harlan Coben and Confederacy of Dunces. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do! I’m also amazed at how awesome Christian Bale is. He’s an amazing actor. I first fell in love when I saw him in Newsies oh so many years ago! He was so good in The Fighter too. Crash has been on my netflix list for awhile now. Need to get to it!

Comment by Heather | April 7, 2014 | Reply

11. Hi
    Good to be here,
    I am a book lover too,
    Thanks for sharing these info.
    I will surely look into these details.
    I am book marking it.
    Thanks for the visit at my place and for the comment too.
    Have a Happy week ahead. 🙂