D is for DaVinci Dirties Deaver Downey

Blogging from A to Z

These are the same four categories every day and the best match I could come up with for the letter.  It was a good mental exercise!   Some people have been commenting that they are all time favorites, but unless I say so that’s not the case.  But they are the best person, book or movie for each letter 🙂

authorJeffery Deaver

I really love Deaver’s series about a former NYPD criminologist who became a quadriplegic in the line of duty, Lincoln Rhyme. Great mysteries with lots of red herrings and flawed characters.  I’ve read and loved the first 9 of the series and #10 came out last year so I need to find time for it.  The first book, The Bone Collector, was turned into a movie starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie that was pretty good.  I’ve read some of his standalones and prefer to revisit Lincoln instead.  He was a lawyer before turning to writing full-time.  Good choice!

actorRobert Downey Jr.

I first remember seeing Downey in Weird Science back in 1985 (watch this 30 second clip, he’s totally 80’s)

But it wasn’t until the sugary sweet romance, Only You, in 1994 with Marissa Tomei that I recognized his good looks and charm.  He had well-known addiction issues that kept him off the screen for awhile but he managed to keep acting and rebounded with amazing commercial success as Sherlock Holmes and Tony Stark (Iron Man and Avengers movies).  He is so quick and witty that he brings a spark to all of his roles.  I loved him in Tropic Thunder and The Soloist along with many others.  He’s so fun to watch and brings energy to every movie he’s in.

movieDirty Dancing, 1987

This movie takes me back to my teens every time I see it.  There are so many cultural references that make it a must see for teen girls, I think.  I loved the story of an awkward girl falling for an older, much more experienced man and I adore the soundtrack. She’s Like the Wind makes me melancholy when I hear it, maybe, due to the lost innocence of youth.

bookThe DaVinci Code by Dan Brown

I loved this book. Once I started reading it was impossible for me to put down.  Honestly, we were going to a party  (and I love parties) the day I started reading and I took the book with me in the car so that I could read for the 15 minutes it took us to get there, never mind that I get sick if I read in the car.  Luckily no headache but I was grumpy that I had to put it down.

I love puzzles, I love fast-paced thrillers, and I thought the story of a possible descendent of Jesus was captivating.  Some people won’t read it because of the sacrilege of Jesus having a child.  Okay.  But it is fiction so I don’t think your religious views are really going to be challenged here.  I’ve gone on to read all of Dan Brown’s books but this is still my favorite one.  Although I liked Digital Fortress too and that starts with a D 🙂

April 4, 2014 - Posted by | Blogging from A-Z | ,

1. I have always loved Robert Downey Jr. as well but I ALSO have always resented that as a rich, white movie star, he got a way less severe sentence for drugs than he would have had he been poor and/or person of color. But, that has nothing to do with his talent….

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | April 4, 2014 | Reply

• Yeah, I hear you. Kind of hard to blame him for being born privileged though. Maybe if his dad hadn’t had his own his own drug issues there may have been a little tough love!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2014 | Reply

2. Vance chose to go to college 8 hours away from home. After we moved him into his dorm room, Carl and I went to our hotel for the night and it literally felt like we’d just come back from a funeral. We sat on our bed and watched Dirty Dancing but all I wanted to do was cry. I haven’t been able to watch that movie since then.

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 4, 2014 | Reply

• Aww, That made me sad, Kathy! Isn’t it funny how certain movies or songs immediately take us back to when we first experienced them?

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2014 | Reply

3. Favorite Downey might be something like The Soloist.

Comment by Tony Laplume | April 4, 2014 | Reply

• I really liked him in that and it was a good movie too.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2014 | Reply

4. Snap! I love Jeffery Deaver’s writing!

Comment by DJ Kirkby | April 4, 2014 | Reply

5. I’ve never been a huge Deaver fan – but I loved The DaVinci Code.

Comment by Carol | April 4, 2014 | Reply

• I was amazed at how addicting it was.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 4, 2014 | Reply

6. Whenever Dirty Dancing is on, I stop and watch!!!

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | April 4, 2014 | Reply

7. Robert Downey, Jr. is also one of my faves. I think I first saw him when he did Heart and Souls! Loved it. Dirty Dancing also on my faves list! I got the soundtrack and listened over and over to it. Even saw it in the theater when it was rereleased on its 10 year anniversary! Dan Brown! He’s so interesting. I do enjoy his books but I wish he acted a little less dramatic about his books. They’re pure fiction and he makes it sound like they’re not but it’s marketing and it’s worked! I hope they make the Lost Symbol and the last one into movies too.

Comment by Heather | April 7, 2014 | Reply

8. Another great list, Stacy! Robert Downey Jr. has so much to be proud of. I really enjoy his movies too. And Dirty Dancing! I liked the movie when it first came out, but it wasn’t until a few years later that it became one of my favorites. I have to stop and watch whenever I see it’s on television and I’m flipping through channels. I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code when I read it to. 🙂

I have never read a Jeffery Deaver book. I’m awful, aren’t I?

Comment by Literary Feline | April 14, 2014 | Reply