A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams

A Hundred SummersA Hundred Summers. Finished 1-7-14, rating 4/5, historical romantic fiction, 357 pages, pub. 2013

Memorial Day, 1938: New York socialite Lily Dane has just returned with her family to the idyllic oceanfront community of Seaview, Rhode Island, expecting another placid summer season among the familiar traditions and friendships that sustained her after heartbreak.

That is, until Greenwalds decide to take up residence in Seaview.

from Goodreads

I fell in love with this story right away. The time period, Lily, the complicated friendships, Nick,  the mystery of how it all unraveled.  I was hooked.  I love reading about people who used to take whole summers off somewhere outside the city.  The rich and the idle are such interesting creatures and its fascinating to see how they spend their days.  Only in books though I find the rich and the idle in real life pretty boring.

The love story of Nick & Lily was beautifully written.  Nick was Jewish and while the world pre-WWII might have cared, Lily didn’t.  Lily saw him and fell hard and we find out that Nick fell hard too. I couldn’t understand what could break them apart and then when I did find out I was a little disappointed because it seemed small in comparison to how they felt.   But just like in real life, often misunderstandings or harsh words can cause more damage than they should.

I devoured this book faster than I expected (often books on my Nook only get read a few nights a week in bed) but it did fall apart for me toward the end. The soap opera like quality became too melodramatic for me and while I liked the end, it might have been nice to have more understanding of the characters than excitement over the weather.  I wanted a bit more from Budgie and Lily’s mom.

I loved most of this one but it ended up just a little less than that for me, but I consider myself a new fan and am really looking forward to her first book, Overseas.  It seems most bloggers who read both liked Overseas better.  I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this to any romance lover.  Williams knows how to deliver romance for sure!

Question- If you got to spend every summer somewhere else where would you choose?  I’ll reveal my answer in the comments 🙂

January 9, 2014 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. This sounds like a great book, Stacy, even with it’s flaws.

Growing up, my family often would spend a week or two or even just a weekend here and there camping in the mountains. I loved those times (mostly). I think if I could get away every summer, it would be either to a mountain cabin on a lake or a beach house on the coast. I’m torn between which I’d like more. LOL

Comment by Literary Feline | January 9, 2014 | Reply

• Both sound great! I’d love to summer in Venice 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 14, 2014 | Reply

2. Great review. I really loved this book. I would love to spend a summer in Italy!

Comment by Alison Doherty | January 9, 2014 | Reply

3. Well, now I’m wondering what happened at the end.

Comment by BermudaOnion | January 9, 2014 | Reply

4. I hoped to read this over the summer….maybe summer of 2014 the way things are going:( thanks for sharing Stacy.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | January 9, 2014 | Reply

5. I enjoyed this book too, but liked Overseas better.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | January 9, 2014 | Reply

6. I would love to get away for a bit every summer to somewhere different. Not all summer long, but just for a bit. And then have a place of refuge for both the summer and the winter. Mountains and camping and beaches 😉

Comment by Heather | January 9, 2014 | Reply

7. I enjoyed your review Stacy. I enjoyed this book as well and have just added Overseas to my To Read list. I enjoy reading about ‘the rich and idle’ too.

Comment by postingfornow | January 10, 2014 | Reply

8. I think this book sounds really good. thanks for the tip.

Comment by kelley | January 10, 2014 | Reply

9. I ended up disappointed by this one. I was expecting more historical detail and less soap opera. But — I think that’s the author’s style. Lots of people loved this one, so it’s probably just not the right book for me.

Comment by Leslie | January 10, 2014 | Reply

10. I LOVED this one. I didn’t have issues with the ending like you did so it definitely worked a little better for me. I also want to read Overseas.

Comment by Heather | January 12, 2014 | Reply

11. Another book for my to read shelf. Thank you Stacy!

Comment by susanbright | January 14, 2014 | Reply

12. It is sad to hear that the book got a little bit melodramatic there at the end.

Comment by Pamela D | January 14, 2014 | Reply

13. I seriously loved this book! A HUNDRED SUMMERS has it all: sex, love, lies, betrayal, cover-up! If you are looking to buy a book for the beach this is the one! Highly recommend!

Comment by More info lodge Alaska fishing, Kingfish Charters | February 2, 2014 | Reply