O is for Open This Little Book

Blogging from A-Z

IMG_1177Open This Little Book by Jesse Klausmeier and illustrated by Suzy Lee.

When I read Kathy’s review (BermudaOnion’s Weblog) of this book I was intrigued by how clever it looked, but wondered if it would be too old for my almost two and a half year old son.  Kathy was sweet enough to mail it to Gage so we could find out.  She is a very generous book blogger and if you are not reading her blog you should be.  Thanks, Kathy 🙂

IMG_1167This is a book within a book within a book…I wasn’t sure Gage would ‘get’ the concept.  The first time I tried to read it he lasted about 3 seconds before he closed the book and said ‘”don’t like it”.  I decided not to take this too seriously since this has been his phrase of choice for the last week or so.  So, last night before bed we tried again and he flipped through the book forward and then backward.  Now that we’ve gotten him to ‘like’ it I know that we will have more fun with it.

This book is the argument for traditional publishing.  The pages must be touched  and flipped to really experience the unique aspect of the story.  It’s very visual.  Not only is it the story of a ladybug, a frog, a rabbit, a bear, and a giant, it is also a tool to teach small ones about sizes and colors.  Gage does know his colors but sizes  are something we’re working on so this will be great for that.  I love the concept and the physical appeal of this novel kid’s book.  I do think it will be best loved by 3+.

April 17, 2013 - Posted by | Gage, Kids Books

1. This is on my list to buy for Grace. Good to get Gage’s review 🙂 I think most book bloggers have closed at least one book after a few pages and said “don’t like”!

Comment by Mary | April 17, 2013 | Reply

2. Cute photos of Gage. That first one is like he’s just about ready to climb into the story!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | April 17, 2013 | Reply

3. How fun! I like the idea of this book and will have to remember it for Mouse.

Comment by Literary Feline | April 17, 2013 | Reply

4. Gage looks so cute with the book! It sounds like he will grow into it!

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | April 17, 2013 | Reply

5. Kathy is an amazing person and so very generous! I loved the photos of Gage with this book!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | April 17, 2013 | Reply

6. Gage is such a cutie. I love kids books that stimulate all the senses 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | April 18, 2013 | Reply

7. I LOVE the sound of this one! Books are hit or miss with Elle but I think she’d at least enjoy flipping through this one. Glad that Gage decided he likes it afterall. 😉 And omg I don’t know if I can handle it if elle ever learns the phrase “don’t like it.” Gah!!!!

Comment by Trish | April 18, 2013 | Reply

8. This book sounds very clever.

Comment by DL Shackleford | April 18, 2013 | Reply

9. This book sounds wonderful and I love that Gage is already getting opinionated about what he reads!

Comment by boardinginmyforties | April 19, 2013 | Reply

10. It is always fun to experience books with Gage. This one is sure to become a favorite. How sweet of Kathy to send it.

Comment by Gage's Grandma | April 19, 2013 | Reply

11. Having been the recipient of Kathy’s generosity before, I can definitely echo your sentiments.
    And I’m sure the phrase “Not like it” is wearing thin in your home!

Comment by Jenners | April 22, 2013 | Reply