Ohio, Ohio, Ohio

I don’t know if any of you have heard but we have a presidential election coming up.  As a proud Buckeye I admit that I like the attention that comes our way every four years.  I like the fact that we do not always elect politicians from the same party year after year after year.  I actually take an interest in politics.  I’ve written a few posts over the years about how I think everyone should vote and if possible, work the polls (given the state of unemployment it pays well for a day or so of work), and try to make an informed decision.

Don’t worry I’m not going to endorse a candidate (but I do see that Roseanne Bar has made it onto the ballot in a state or two ;)) but I am going to take the next 6 Fridays and review 6 political movies.  There are 2 (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, 1939 and State of the Union, 1948) that are on my Top 100 list and they will be re-runs for me.  Otherwise I’d like them to be new-to-me movies.

If you have a fun political movie that you’d like to recommend, I’d love to hear about it, but there are a few requests-US politics only, no bashing of one political party (it’s okay of both parties are victims) and, honestly, the funnier the better.  In the past few years I’ve seen Swing Vote (2008) and The Ides of March (2011), both of which I liked but am not interested in seeing again.  Other than that I am open to recommendations.  I have The Candidate (1972) with Robert Redford and The Contender (2000) on my radar.  Any thoughts?

At the library yesterday I picked up Man of the Year (2006) with Robin Williams and am halfway through.  Check back tomorrow to see what I think.

September 27, 2012 - Posted by | movies | ,

1. I enjoyed Dave (starring Kevin Kline and many other big stars).

Comment by Mary | September 27, 2012 | Reply

2. The one that popped into my head was The Ides of March, but you’ve seen that one. I’ve come to really dislike politics and generally avoid it in my books and movies.

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | September 27, 2012 | Reply

3. How about Dave? It’s silly and simplified but it was super feel-good.

Comment by Heather | September 27, 2012 | Reply

4. I really liked Swing Vote with Kevin Costner. The little girl in it is so adorable.

Comment by thetruebookaddict | September 29, 2012 | Reply

5. I did like Dave…that was a cute movie!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | September 30, 2012 | Reply

6. I don’t think I’ve actually watched many political movies.

And I agree, it’s nice that Ohio gets attention, but at times I get tired of all the calls and mailings and signs.

Comment by Carol | October 1, 2012 | Reply

7. I want to see that new one with Will Ferrell … The Campaign. I think it is still in theaters. That Zach Galifidifnis is in it too. (I freelanced his last name if you can’t tell.)

Comment by Jenners | October 1, 2012 | Reply