I’m creeping along the IT-along

So, I signed up for the IT-along because Jill tempted me with all of her fun clown posts and I happened to have a copy waiting on my shelves.  I do not have time to read such a long book (1090 pages in my paperback edition) but I was feeling the clown love, what can I say?

I did not make it halfway.  The goal was to be done reading 608 pages and I have read 408.  The main reason is that every time I start reading I feel like taking a nap.   I’m not sure what this means yet.  Either I need more sleep (probably) OR King needs an editor (maybe).

A few thoughts/questions-

Did parents really give their kids so much freedom in the 50’s?  I’m guessing that they did and it makes me a little sad that all of our kids now come equipped with gps in the way of cell phones.  Our neighbor’s ten-year old son was the last kid in his class to get a cell phone.  Makes me feel old!  The kids in this book have aware parents (especially love Mike’s dad) but the kids run free.

I have never known anyone named Richie or Eddie and after 400 pages I’m pretty sure I’m still confusing the two and somehow melding them into one chauffeur loving DJ.  There just may be one or two (or 20) extra characters.

I don’t dislike birds, but yesterday soon after I read about Mike’s encounter with that bird-beast, I brought Gage back from a walk and there was a bird flying around our garage, trying to get out.  I don’t know who was more upset, me or the confused bird.

My favorite character is Ben.

I’m liking IT so far and am pretty sure I’ll be able to catch up and finish by next month.  I’m still working on an IT quiz but it’s proving to be quite a challenge.

So, have you read IT?

September 17, 2012 - Posted by | Uncategorized

1. It sounds like you’re pretty close to keeping up. Reading your post makes me feel old. I was born in the 50s and had lots of freedom growing up. We’d head out of the house in the morning and not come home until dinner time. Of course, neighbors helped watch out for us – my mom was informed of my behavior on more than one occasion! lol I’ve known plenty of people named Richie and Eddie.

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | September 17, 2012 | Reply

2. Very very funny post! If nothing else, the IT readers are generating some great blog post reading! LOL!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | September 17, 2012 | Reply

3. I like Ben, too. But then I like Bill. And then Richie. Eddie who? Bev’s story fascinates me and I’m terrified of Ted Rogan (Bev’s hub).

I was shocked that Mike’s dad sent him on a fieldtrip to see what souvenirs he could find. Especially with so many deaths occurring–or was that before the deaths? But yikes that was a scary scene!

Comment by Trish | September 17, 2012 | Reply

4. Holy goodness, not sure what I would have done if a bird was trapped in my garage after reading that scene! It’s amazing how King can really draw out the creepy side and make it so noticeable in any event!

I also love Ben; I just feel so bad for him and want so much for his character.

You bring up a great point about life int he 1950s and if parents really granted that much freedom for their kids. It really makes you stop and think about how much things have changed and we certainly don’t keep our doors unlocked anymore either!

Comment by Coffee & a BookChick (@CoffeeBookChick) | September 17, 2012 | Reply

5. I read this so long ago but remember loving it. And you guys are having way too much fun with this readalong!

Comment by Jenners | September 17, 2012 | Reply

6. I was born in the 60s and I remember having that kind of freedom as a kid. We lived out in the country until I was in 5th grade. During the summer and on weekends with good weather, Mom would boot us out of the house after breakfast and tell us to come back when we were hungry. We’d wander all over the countryside on our bikes and on foot, hiking ravines, playing in the abandoned cemetery down the road, riding a couple of miles over to the small county airport to watch the cropdusters land. Once we moved into town, our movements were not quite so free-ranging, but that was a limitation of the subdivision geography rather than parental dictate.

Comment by avantaknits | September 17, 2012 | Reply

7. Yup, children born in the 50’s (me) did have lots of freedom. I use to walk 1.5 miles to the public library with a friend, in the 3rd grade during the summer. By 5th grad we rode our bikes 3 miles to the playground pool each day in summer. There were still wackos, but it wasn’t in the news and in parents faces day in and day out. I know when I was 12, a girl my age disappeared and was never found, and that is the point where I became very careful about where I went and what I did. Back they it took a scare close to home to get parents talking to their kids it seemed.

As for IT, it’s not my favorite but I am 1/2 way there. Just seems silly after reading and loving 11/22/63.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | September 17, 2012 | Reply

8. Oooh, an IT quiz! I can’t wait!

An yes, he needs an editor that isn’t afraid to use that red pencil. I still confuse Ben and Bill, and they’re my favorite characters!

Comment by softdrink | September 17, 2012 | Reply

9. I found the beginning of this one to be a bit slow, but I ended up really liking it…and that’s saying a lot given my fear of clowns. There are A LOT of characters, but I thought King did a good job giving them all distinct personalities, and by the end of the book, I felt like I knew them better than I know myself.

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | September 20, 2012 | Reply

10. […] so these were my thoughts halfway through.  I was so glad to throw the book across the room in celebration of being finished.  Not because […]

Pingback by The IT-along is finally over « Stacy's Books | October 17, 2012 | Reply