Sundays with Gage- 6th month edition

Gage and I at Panera last night (please forgive the hair) with Daddy behind the camera.  This week Gage will mark 6 months in this world and I thought I’d pass along a few things I’ve learned in my half year of motherhood.

When they (and by they, I mean everyone) tells you ‘colic’ will go away at 3 months, don’t get your hopes up.  We’re at 6 months and counting.

A born worrier can be a bit of a frantic mother.

When the pediatrician says “rice cereal” she does not mean Rice Krispies.

A naked, wet baby is pretty darn slippery.

It is possible to live on sugar and caffeine.

Labor is every bit as horrible as you feared it might be.

You can survive a week at the hospital with your baby being poked, tested, discussed, but not without scars.

People say the husband/father isn’t first anymore, boohoo.  While this is true, the mom is not  1st, 2nd or even sometimes 3rd, so accept it.

Giving away baby clothes is like saying, “We’re done.”  Without having to say it.

Books or websites that tell you at what age your baby should be doing something can be detrimental to your health and should looked at for amusement, not fact.

The closer you live to your family when you have a baby, the luckier you are.

Do not be afraid to swaddle your baby til he looks like a burrito.  It will save your sanity.

Naps are not only for the young.

Singing or music usually saves the day (or a good mood).

We need a mirror in every room.  Our guy cracks himself up.

There’s poop on my hand/shirt/hair?  And?

Infants are as scary as you think they are.

Motherhood is indeed as awesome, wonderful and fulfilling, as everyone says it is, but it also sometimes sucks.

I could watch my sleeping baby for hours and under no circumstances do I want you waking him up.

Having a loving, hands-on dad has made this mom a happy one.

I may not be the best mother yet (I’m a work-in-progress) but I do have the best son and I’m thankful for him every day.

39 thoughts on “Sundays with Gage- 6th month edition

1. Heather says:

Those are great things! I had and still do many upsets over what baby books, blogs, etc said about where my son should be…I’m reading a few parenting books as well and everything I’m doing is “wrong!”

I also swaddled my boy for as long as possible…it really helped his colic. Gabe is still pretty moody but he finally broke the infant colic around 5-6 months! So there is hope. that was the longest 5-6 months of my life!

I would say parenthood is soooo hard but the great son I have does make the rough times worth it!

These are great, I know I said that already. I can identify with all of these. As I read through them, I chuckled as I recalled my experiences! Thanks for the uplift today!

Gage is a cutie!

• stacybuckeye says:

Heather, it sounds like we’ve had similar experiences! It has indeed been a very long 6 months, but once we hit the milestone it is almost hard to believe it’s only been 6 months 🙂 I have a few of the generic baby books and read them for the monthly milestones (which I no longer take to heart, I just want to know what to look for next) and I use them as a reference if I have a specific question. Beyond that I am avoiding them because they cause me too much stress. He’s slow on some things and ahead on others and that’s okay! You should email me a pic of Gabe 🙂 Oh, and you are not doing it wrong!

2. Gage's Grandma says:

Great observations. All true except the last one – you are the best mom. You are also the best daughter. Your post made me smile! Hugs to Gage.

3. Kay says:

Stacy, I can’t believe that 6 months has gone by already. I’m here to tell you that colic will disappear by the time a baby is 28 years old. My baby’s did and she now is a champion swaddler of other people’s babies (she loved being wrapped up) and probably the best labor and delivery nurse you’d ever want. You just never know! 🙂

4. Bumbles says:

Awww – that’s a cute photo of you two. I’m sure my mother would feel for you – this adorable baby Bumble had colic and drove her insane. Some day I fear there is payback coming for that…

5. Stephanie D. says:

6 months already?! Gosh, it’s flown but you certainly have learned a lot, with more revelations to come. Motherhood is the most fascinating journey I’ve ever undertaken, that’s for sure.

“There’s poop on my hand/shirt/hair? And?” – Oh, I remember those days fondly…Not!

6. Carol says:

Great list. And he’s adorable.

I don’t think people stopped asking me when we were going to have another one until amber was like 10. To be honest, I don’t miss the “baby days” at all.

• stacybuckeye says:

I went to a girlfriend’s house today and saw some friends for the first time since he was born. When they asked me what I thought of being a mother, “it’s hard!” was what popped out!

7. Margot says:

Oh Stacy, you are already a great mom. This was a wonderful post. I laughed as I read it and it brought back great memories. It also brought tears by the end. Parents like you are the hope for the future.

8. Bonnie/Redlady says:

I can’t believe that Gage is 6 months already! The picture of the two of you is great. I love your post, it’s honest and funny and heartfelt. I think it’s harder with the firstborn as it’s all so new, that’s how I felt and I only have one child:) It gets easier in some ways and harder in others and you have different challenges along the way as they grow older.