I remember reading Mindhunter: Inside the FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit by John Douglas when it came out and was fascinated by not only the mind of the serial killer but the race to find him before he killed again. Nowadays I just can’t stomach the ones in real life but still love reading about the fictional one or watching them on the big screen.
- John Doe in Se7en
- Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs
- Patrick Bateman in American Psycho
- Norman Bates in Psycho
- Tom Ripley in The Talented Mr. Ripley
- Doctor in The Bone Collector
- Not telling in So I Married an Axe Murderer (one of those college movies I have a soft spot for)
- Detective in Kiss the Girls
- Mickey & Mallory in Natural Born Killers
- Sweeney Todd in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Who are some others that come to mind?
7 thoughts on “K – Top Ten Serial Killers in Film”
Oh my gosh, Patrick Bateman is so creepy. Carl read American Psycho so the book is around here somewhere but I’m not sure I could handle it.
That one was hard to watch for me. I haven’t read the book and not sure I want to!
OK, this is definitely not my genre! But good for you for keeping track of what I should skip!
I’ve seen most of the movies you mentioned, but not all. Psycho – great movie. And I loved I Married an Axe Murderer (plus I remember the killer). Kiss the Girls and Se7en – yep, great choices.
I’ve seen Psycho and Silence of the Lambs but not the rest. Did you watch Kevin Bacon in The Following on TV a few years ago? That one was creepy!
My fave serial killer onscreen but not the big one is Dexter. Great show. Also the Netflix series Mindhunter is great. I don’t think I could handle American Psycho and I haven’t seen the Talented Mr. Ripley. Loved So I Married an Axe Murderer. Classic comedy. Still rewatch from time to time.