Mailbox Monday – September 1

mmb-300x282Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week.Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.

monday mailbox

Heroes Are My Weakness by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (purchased – she’s one of my few hardcover buys)

He’s a reclusive writer whose macabre imagination creates chilling horror novels. She’s a down-on-her-luck actress reduced to staging kids’ puppet shows. He knows a dozen ways to kill with his bare hands. She knows a dozen ways to kill with laughs.

But she’s not laughing now. When she was a teenager, he terrified her. Now they’re trapped together on a snowy island off the coast of Maine. Is he the villain she remembers or has he changed? Her head says no. Her heart says yes.

The House We Grew up In by Lisa Jewell (sent by the publisher)

Meet the Bird family. They live in a honey-colored house in a picture-perfect Cotswolds village, with rambling, unkempt gardens stretching beyond. Pragmatic Meg, dreamy Beth, and tow-headed twins Rory and Rhys all attend the village school and eat home-cooked meals together every night. Their father is a sweet gangly man named Colin, who still looks like a teenager with floppy hair and owlish, round-framed glasses. Their mother is a beautiful hippy named Lorelei, who exists entirely in the moment. And she makes every moment sparkle in her children’s lives.

Then one Easter weekend, tragedy comes to call. The event is so devastating that, almost imperceptibly, it begins to tear the family apart. Years pass as the children become adults, find new relationships, and develop their own separate lives. Soon it seems as though they’ve never been a family at all. But then something happens that calls them back to the house they grew up in — and to what really happened that Easter weekend so many years ago.

A Sword Upon the Rose by Brenda Joyce (purchased – it’s her latest historical romance)

A bastard daughter, Alana was cast away at birth and forgotten by her mighty Comyn family. Raised in solitude by her grandmother, she has remained at a safe distance from the war raging through Scotland. But when a battle comes close to home and she finds herself compelled to save an enemy warrior from death, her own life is thrown into danger.

Iain of Islay’s allegiance is to the formidable Robert Bruce. His beautiful rescuer captures both his attention and his desire, but Alana must keep her identity a secret even as she is swept up into a wild and forbidden affair. But as Bruce’s army begins the final destruction of the earldom, Alana must decide between the family whose acceptance she’s always sought, or the man she so wrongly loves.

Risen:The Battle for Darracia by Michael Phillip Cash (sent by Red Feather Productions)

The Autism Book by Dr. Robert Sears (purchased – a must read for parents with kids on the spectrum)

Anything fun arrive in your mailbox this week?

September 1, 2014 - Posted by | Mailbox Monday

1. I really must read Susan Elizabeth Phillips – have been reading a lot of good things about her books lately.

Comment by samstillreading | September 1, 2014 | Reply

2. I got Heroes Are My Weakness too. I don’t think I’ve read the author before but I’m looking forward to it.

Comment by BermudaOnion | September 1, 2014 | Reply

3. Do you get a lot of books by Michael Philip Cash and Red Feathers? I must have received 5 or 6.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | September 1, 2014 | Reply

4. Great variety in your mailbox! I’ve been seeing Heroes are my Weakness around and it looks very tempting! Happy reading, Stacy!

Comment by Lucy | September 1, 2014 | Reply

5. I like how eclectic your reads are! I have my eye on Heroes are my Weakness and The House We Grew Up In. I’ve heard of Dr. Sears, a revered expert in the field. Enjoy all these books!

Comment by My Home of Books (@duffygal777) | September 1, 2014 | Reply

6. The more I see The House We Grew up, the more and more I get excited about it! Hope it’s one you enjoy!!

Comment by Shoshanah | September 1, 2014 | Reply

7. I loved The House We Grew Up In. I hope you enjoy it too.

ENJOY all your books.

Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

Comment by Elizabeth (Silver's Reviews) | September 1, 2014 | Reply

8. I have The House We Grew Up In too. I’m not familiar with this Autism book. I will look into that one.

2 Kids and Tired Books MM

Comment by Holly (2 Kids and Tired) | September 1, 2014 | Reply

9. The Lisa Jewell book is one I want to try. enjoy all Stacy

Comment by diane | September 2, 2014 | Reply

10. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed The House We Grew Up In. And I’m really looking forward to reading the new SEP book!

Comment by Mary | September 2, 2014 | Reply

11. The House We Grew Up In sounds good.

Comment by sagustocox | September 2, 2014 | Reply

12. I am currently reading The House We Grew Up In. I will look forward to reading your thoughts on this book.

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | September 2, 2014 | Reply

13. My husband got a book in the mail over the weekend, but nothing for me. It’s for the best. Ho hum.

Your new books sound like they will be good! A Sword Upon the Rose by Brenda Joyce sounds like something I am in the mood to read right now. I hope it’s good!

Comment by Literary Feline | September 2, 2014 | Reply

14. No none for me. Busy reading from my shelves 🙂
    Enjoy your books!

Comment by Jennygirl | September 5, 2014 | Reply

15. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked
    submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted
    to say wonderful blog!