Sundays with Gage- Back to School

Gage is back in school and thriving!  He operates very well on a set schedule and the fact that he has the same teachers has been a gift.  When I picked him up after the first day his teachers told me what a great day he’d had, but he was in tears in the car.  He missed his old friends.  Last year our school district did a nice thing and let us start Gage in the public program at 2 instead of 3, so as the rest of his older classmates moved to different classes he will stay in the 3 class again and these will be the kids he goes through school with to graduation.  Now he just needs to make new friends.

The speech therapist tested his speech on Tuesday and he is in the above average range for his age group.  It lets me know that all things are possible 🙂

This summer was a rough one for many reasons and some of that frustration came out in last week’s post.  I almost didn’t post it, but sometimes it feels good to show the gritty side of motherhood and I think there is value in that.  I can happily say that school is back in session and that makes a happy Gage.  And a happy Gage makes a happy mama.

IMG_0124

August 31, 2014 - Posted by | Gage

1. I’m sure it was a tough post to write, but from my perspective I love that you can share this with us. Many of us have struggles with our kids…maybe not the same struggles…but stuff that you worry about every single day and probably will worry about forever. It helps to know that we aren’t alone in that. I’m so glad he had a good week. I know it is hard to make new friends. Some kids are really good at it. Mine, unfortunately are not, so I get this. But eventually they will.

Comment by sandynawrot | August 31, 2014 | Reply

• Thank you Sandy! It wasn’t as hard to write as it was to post. I always have in the back of my mind that Gage will read these posts someday and I want to be respectful of that, but I ALWAYS feel better when I read posts my moms who are struggling. It is nice to know we are all just trying to figure this whole motherhood thing out together.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 2, 2014 | Reply

2. Yay for Happy Gage!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | August 31, 2014 | Reply

3. It sounds like Gage is doing terrific! Vance used to love having a schedule too – there’s security in knowing what’s going on at that age.

Comment by BermudaOnion | August 31, 2014 | Reply

• Yes, I knew he operated better with a set schedule and the same tutors and but I didn’t know how much until this summer. I’m already looking ahead to next summer to make better arrangements.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 2, 2014 | Reply

4. I’m go glad to hear that Gage tested well and is above average in speech. Congratulations to you and Gage!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | August 31, 2014 | Reply

• Thank you Beth. It is a relief to know that he is on track in a very important area. All things stem from being able to communicate.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 2, 2014 | Reply

5. Motherhood is gritty Stacy, you are doing such a great job. Glad Gage is enjoying being back to school. I am not looking forward to it this year, cause it means less time with Cole. Courtney goes back Sept. 8th.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | August 31, 2014 | Reply

• So Cole is going to day care? Day care is good for kids, but sad for grandmas 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 2, 2014 | Reply

6. Hope your big little guy has a great year.

Comment by diane | September 2, 2014 | Reply

7. I hope you have a great school year.

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | September 2, 2014 | Reply

8. I am glad to hear the school year has gotten off to a great start for Gage and that he is doing so well in speech! That is so awesome! I know it’s not on the same scale, but I still remember how disappointed Mouse was initially when she stayed back in the level 1 swim class and didn’t graduate onto the next one with her “friends”.

Comment by Literary Feline | September 2, 2014 | Reply

9. Garrett entered daycare this past April. At the time he was still 1 but was placed in the 2-year-old room since he was only a month from being 2. He was the youngest in his class with all of the other kids being closer to 3. August rolled around and all the 3-year-olds were moved up to the 3s and the 1-year-olds were moved up to the 2s with Garrett. It was really tough for him at first, he didn’t understand what had happened to the kids he had gotten to know. If we keep him in this daycare (we are considering moving him into a traditional pre-school next year … depends on how the potty-training goes, ha!) he will remain with this group of kids until he goes to kindergarten. So I can fully understand the strange transition to new children.

And yay for his speech! We originally had Garrett screened at 18 months for his speech, he was only saying the most basic words at that time (mama, dada, dog, ball, etc). He was deemed to be behind but not to the point of needing speech therapy. Since being in daycare his vocabulary has exploded and he’s putting 2-3 words together, but I can tell he’s still technically a little behind where he probably should be based on the other kids in his daycare class.

Garrett also thrives on a schedule, so I can totally understand how good it is for Gage to be back in the swing of things 🙂

Comment by Tara | September 3, 2014 | Reply