Sundays with Gage – filling in the gaps

As a mother, I want to pass on my passions and knowledge to my son.  As a self-aware adult, I know there are areas that I know little about.  Gage loves when his classes have a music therapist come and he always comes home happy and excited.  I, on the other hand, have had very little music to share outside of library storytimes when Gage was 1 and 2.  I rarely listen to the radio and am more likely to have CNN on as background noise than music.  I am woefully uninformed about the latest song or group.  So, as any self-respecting book blogger would do, I checked a book out of the library

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

Not surprisingly  I only had one in my possession, Synchronicity by The Police.  I placed holds on some at the library and set up our old cd player in the foyer.  Every morning Gage and I listen to some music and dance together.  These are not kids songs, we have those and sometimes he’ll switch to one, but I want to expose him (and myself) to music I’ve never taken the time to listen to before.  A few pics from one of our jam sessions…

gage music1  gage music 2  gage music 3  gage music 4

A few thoughts on some of what we’ve listened to so far…

Biggest Surprise – Gage seems to like Frank Sinatra.

Biggest Comeback – After listening to The Jesus and Mary Chain’s first album (Psychocandy) and not getting it at all I really liked their second on the list (Darklands).

Most likely to purchase – So by Peter Gabriel

Most likely to have Gage changing the CD after one song – Pump by Aerosmith

Gage first danced on his own to  – Synchronicity by The Police

I’ll keep you all updated on our music journey through this book.

List of the albums we listened to from the book (Pump by Aerosmith, Tidal by Fiona Apple, So and Melt by Peter Gabriel, Darklands and Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain, Regatta de  Blanc and Synchronicity by The Police, Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim and In the Wee Small Hours by Frank Sinatra)  10/1001

27 thoughts on “Sundays with Gage – filling in the gaps

1. BermudaOnion says:

So fun! Vance and I used to dance every afternoon. Maybe Gage will be a band nerd. Vance adored band – it exposed him to all kinds of music and taught him to appreciate almost all genres.

2. Heather says:

What a great idea. I’ve done something similar with gabe where we listen to different pandora stations and we rated them by dance ability and how the song made us feel. The sad and angry ones were tosed aside.

I look forward to hearing more! I’m the same way. I would rather have radio shows in or a book in my hand than music in the background. Looks like gage is loving this!!!!

3. Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) says:

Since all my kids moved out, I rarely listen to music. If anything, I have an audiobook playing. This weekend everyone was home, we had Frank playing in the background and everyone enjoyed listening. Gage has good music sense! Love Gage’s enthusiasm.

4. Diane says:

Except as a teen, i’ve rarely listened to music, preferring audiobooks or news to fill in silence. Its great you now can experience this fresh and new with Gage.

5. Vicki says:

My husband and I love music, so my kids grew up listening to a variety…Christian, country and classic rock mostly, but also bluegrass, jazz and bluegrass gospel. The kids are on their own now, but still listen to music. They never get in their car without it on and my husband and I still listen to music just about every day.

I love that you and Gage are doing this, and that he likes Sinatra! Music is good for the soul!

• stacybuckeye says:

I wish we were more of a music loving family. My husband is only marginally better than me and he still prefers audiobooks for his commute. I love that you and your hubby listen to music together!

6. Gage's grandma says:

I’m glad he likes Sinatra! Be sure to introduce him to Elvis:) He does love music & it is so much fun to watch him dance-he’s got the moves!

7. Leslie says:

I love it that Gage likes Sinatra and changes the CD when Aerosmith comes on.

I’m usually listening to an audiobook, so not much music for me lately, but my husband has quite a large album, yes I said album, collection.

8. Literary Feline says:

How fun for you and Gage! It sounds like you will have fun exploring a variety of music as you go through the book.

I don’t focus as much as I should on Mouse’s musical experiences, I’m afraid. She and her dad listen to classical music in the mornings on the way to school. And if I don’t have a children’s CD on in my car when I pick her up, we’re listening to pop, top 40 or country music. She’s a big fan of Pink, my daughter. Haha! And the Frozen songs, of course.

9. Tara says:

So glad to see him feeling better 🙂 Strep throat found its way into our house this week, boo! Garrett loves music! I’m not musical at all, but my husband is so maybe Garrett will be too! My mother-in-law always says “good at music, good at math”. I have no idea if there’s anything to that, but you never know 😉

10. Lloyd Russell says:

That was a very entertaining post. I really enjoyed hearing and seeing what you guys learned musically. Joni took our 9-year old granddaughter to Music Together every Friday from the time she was 6 months old until she was well into her 4’s. Both Joni and Haley loved those sessions.

11. Carol says:

What a fun idea. Amber’s music tastes align with my husband’s: Metallica, Flogging Molly, Cake, Guns ‘n” Roses, nothing new you notice. My daughter likes to be a bit anti-main stream.

12. Care says:

Great idea! I bet I would be clueless about that list. I know some and it’s likely a very small bit of what I ‘should’. I do remember loving to put my mom’s old records on and listen to the ‘oldies’ – my favorite was the Kingston Trio. Are they on the list?!