Sundays with Gage – filling in the gaps

As a mother, I want to pass on my passions and knowledge to my son.  As a self-aware adult, I know there are areas that I know little about.  Gage loves when his classes have a music therapist come and he always comes home happy and excited.  I, on the other hand, have had very little music to share outside of library storytimes when Gage was 1 and 2.  I rarely listen to the radio and am more likely to have CNN on as background noise than music.  I am woefully uninformed about the latest song or group.  So, as any self-respecting book blogger would do, I checked a book out of the library

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

Not surprisingly  I only had one in my possession, Synchronicity by The Police.  I placed holds on some at the library and set up our old cd player in the foyer.  Every morning Gage and I listen to some music and dance together.  These are not kids songs, we have those and sometimes he’ll switch to one, but I want to expose him (and myself) to music I’ve never taken the time to listen to before.  A few pics from one of our jam sessions…

gage music1  gage music 2  gage music 3  gage music 4

A few thoughts on some of what we’ve listened to so far…

Biggest Surprise – Gage seems to like Frank Sinatra.

Biggest Comeback – After listening to The Jesus and Mary Chain’s first album (Psychocandy) and not getting it at all I really liked their second on the list (Darklands).

Most likely to purchase – So by Peter Gabriel

Most likely to have Gage changing the CD after one song – Pump by Aerosmith

Gage first danced on his own to  – Synchronicity by The Police

I’ll keep you all updated on our music journey through this book.

List of the albums we listened to from the book (Pump by Aerosmith, Tidal by Fiona Apple, So and Melt by Peter Gabriel, Darklands and Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain, Regatta de  Blanc and Synchronicity by The Police, Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim and In the Wee Small Hours by Frank Sinatra)  10/1001

August 3, 2014 - Posted by | Gage |

1. So fun! Vance and I used to dance every afternoon. Maybe Gage will be a band nerd. Vance adored band – it exposed him to all kinds of music and taught him to appreciate almost all genres.

Comment by BermudaOnion | August 3, 2014 | Reply

• He likes to have parades where I or Jason or both follow him around the house playing instruments and singing, so maybe the band is in his future 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 9, 2014 | Reply

2. What a great idea. I’ve done something similar with gabe where we listen to different pandora stations and we rated them by dance ability and how the song made us feel. The sad and angry ones were tosed aside.

I look forward to hearing more! I’m the same way. I would rather have radio shows in or a book in my hand than music in the background. Looks like gage is loving this!!!!

Comment by Heather | August 3, 2014 | Reply

• I hadn’t thought to use it as a way to talk about feelings, great idea!!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 9, 2014 | Reply

3. Since all my kids moved out, I rarely listen to music. If anything, I have an audiobook playing. This weekend everyone was home, we had Frank playing in the background and everyone enjoyed listening. Gage has good music sense! Love Gage’s enthusiasm.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | August 3, 2014 | Reply

• Yes, so far no one else has had him choosing their cd like Frankie 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 9, 2014 | Reply

4. Except as a teen, i’ve rarely listened to music, preferring audiobooks or news to fill in silence. Its great you now can experience this fresh and new with Gage.

Comment by Diane | August 3, 2014 | Reply

• Yes, it’s as much of a project for me as for Gage, but we both benefit 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 9, 2014 | Reply

5. My husband and I love music, so my kids grew up listening to a variety…Christian, country and classic rock mostly, but also bluegrass, jazz and bluegrass gospel. The kids are on their own now, but still listen to music. They never get in their car without it on and my husband and I still listen to music just about every day.

I love that you and Gage are doing this, and that he likes Sinatra! Music is good for the soul!

Comment by Vicki | August 3, 2014 | Reply

• I wish we were more of a music loving family. My husband is only marginally better than me and he still prefers audiobooks for his commute. I love that you and your hubby listen to music together!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 9, 2014 | Reply

6. So funny the Gage likes Frank Sinatra! I seem to have audiobooks or NPR on all the time…

Comment by lakesidemusing | August 3, 2014 | Reply

7. Gage is so cute … it made me smile that he likes “Ol’ Blue Eyes” so much!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | August 3, 2014 | Reply

8. I’m glad he likes Sinatra! Be sure to introduce him to Elvis:) He does love music & it is so much fun to watch him dance-he’s got the moves!

Comment by Gage's grandma | August 3, 2014 | Reply

9. Fun project!

Comment by Word Lily | August 3, 2014 | Reply

10. Way to go! I’d suggest some James Taylor and Johnny Cash!

Comment by The Many Thoughts of a Reader | August 3, 2014 | Reply

11. I love it that Gage likes Sinatra and changes the CD when Aerosmith comes on.

I’m usually listening to an audiobook, so not much music for me lately, but my husband has quite a large album, yes I said album, collection.

Comment by Leslie | August 4, 2014 | Reply

12. Great idea for me too! Have to see if my library has it!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | August 4, 2014 | Reply

13. How fun for you and Gage! It sounds like you will have fun exploring a variety of music as you go through the book.

I don’t focus as much as I should on Mouse’s musical experiences, I’m afraid. She and her dad listen to classical music in the mornings on the way to school. And if I don’t have a children’s CD on in my car when I pick her up, we’re listening to pop, top 40 or country music. She’s a big fan of Pink, my daughter. Haha! And the Frozen songs, of course.

Comment by Literary Feline | August 4, 2014 | Reply

14. So glad to see him feeling better 🙂 Strep throat found its way into our house this week, boo! Garrett loves music! I’m not musical at all, but my husband is so maybe Garrett will be too! My mother-in-law always says “good at music, good at math”. I have no idea if there’s anything to that, but you never know 😉

Comment by Tara | August 6, 2014 | Reply

15. That was a very entertaining post. I really enjoyed hearing and seeing what you guys learned musically. Joni took our 9-year old granddaughter to Music Together every Friday from the time she was 6 months old until she was well into her 4’s. Both Joni and Haley loved those sessions.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | August 8, 2014 | Reply

16. What a doll! Dancing with your child is so much fun! I remember my daughter rocking out to Judas Priest when she was 5. We actually still dance around the house together sometimes. 🙂

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | August 9, 2014 | Reply

17. What a fun idea. Amber’s music tastes align with my husband’s: Metallica, Flogging Molly, Cake, Guns ‘n” Roses, nothing new you notice. My daughter likes to be a bit anti-main stream.

Comment by Carol | August 12, 2014 | Reply

18. Great idea! I bet I would be clueless about that list. I know some and it’s likely a very small bit of what I ‘should’. I do remember loving to put my mom’s old records on and listen to the ‘oldies’ – my favorite was the Kingston Trio. Are they on the list?!

Comment by Care | August 14, 2014 | Reply

19. […] working my through this book this past summer, mostly with Gage but sometimes not (original post here).  I don’t know that any of you will really care to keep up with our travels through the […]

Pingback by 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, 11-30 « Stacy's Books | November 14, 2014 | Reply

20. […] 1-10, 11-30 […]

Pingback by 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, 31-60 « Stacy's Books | January 29, 2015 | Reply

21. […] 1-10, 11-30 31-60 […]

Pingback by 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, 61-90 « Stacy's Books | June 5, 2015 | Reply