Z is for Gabrielle Zevin Zeroes Zafon Zahn

The Storied Life of A. J. FikryThe Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. Finished 4-26-14.  Rating 4.5/5, 260 pages, pub. 2014

A. J. Fikry’s life is not at all what he expected it to be. His wife has died, his bookstore is experiencing the worst sales in its history, and now his prized possession, a rare collection of Poe poems, has been stolen. Slowly but surely, he is isolating himself from all the people of Alice Island-from Lambiase, the well-intentioned police officer who’s always felt kindly toward Fikry; from Ismay, his sister-in-law who is hell-bent on saving him from his dreary self; from Amelia, the lovely and idealistic (if eccentric) Knightley Press sales rep who keeps on taking the ferry over to Alice Island, refusing to be deterred by A.J.’s bad attitude. Even the books in his store have stopped holding pleasure for him. These days, A.J. can only see them as a sign of a world that is changing too rapidly.

And then a mysterious package appears at the bookstore. It’s a small package, but large in weight. It’s that unexpected arrival that gives A. J. Fikry the opportunity to make his life over, the ability to see everything anew.      from Goodreads

I spent a few years working in bookstores and loved the experience and, most importantly, the people I worked with.  Book people are the best kind of people, diverse in all ways but their love for the written word.  So, it is no surprise that I loved this book about small town bookstore owner, A.J. Fikry.  When we first meet him he is a depressed man with no interest in being otherwise, until a surprise gift is left in his bookstore.  His life changes overnight and so does he.  He is a transplant to the small town of Alice and had never truly been embraced, but the bookstore itself becomes a community of the best kind and A.J. is swept into the this giving world when he needs it the most.

Lovers of books and small towns will surely love this breezy book, but anyone who appreciates a look into the mind of a life turned around by love will probably like it too.  I think this would make a great tv show. I would love to hang out with these characters once a week to get my literary fix.  Loved every page!

I received this book from She Reads.  Go on over and see what other bloggers think about this one.  HURRY and you can enter to win a free copy!

Blogging from A to Z

authorCarlos Ruiz Zafon

I’ve only read The Shadow of the Wind, but I loved it.

movieZero Dark Thirty, 2012

Surprisingly good, with a great female lead.

actorSteven Zahn

Never a lead, but always solid (Reality Bites & You’ve Got Mail being favorites)

bookThe Zero Game by Brad Meltzer

I listened to this one on a road trip when it came out and liked it well enough.  And it starts with Z and that means my A to Z April challenge is officially over.  And just in time because I’m exhausted 🙂

April 30, 2014 - Posted by | 5 Star Books, Blogging from A-Z |

1. I am super-impressed by this whole alphabet list. Just the amount of time it took to write it. Nicely done.
    I thought Zero Dark 30 was a terrific movie, and Jessica Chastain did a great job. And I agree that Steve Zahn always does a bang-up job in his movies. I haven’t seen his new TV show, where he actually gets a co-starring role.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | April 30, 2014 | Reply

2. Favorite Zahn is Shattered Glass!

Comment by Tony Laplume | April 30, 2014 | Reply

3. I’ve been hearing great things about Zevin’s book and am curious about it. Part of me wants to wait until the hype dies down though.

I really liked Zero Dark Thirty as well. I hadn’t been sure I would, but I thought it was very well done.

Comment by Literary Feline | April 30, 2014 | Reply

4. I’ve heard good things about THE STORIED LIFE and will probably put in on my TBR list.

Met Brad Meltzer many years ago when he was doing tours and readings for his early books. Really nice guy.

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
    Minion, Capt. Alex’s Ninja Minion Army
    The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge

Comment by Madeline Mora-Summonte | April 30, 2014 | Reply

5. I’ve heard good things. we had her at hte bookstore last week and she was very entertaining. can’t wait to grab a copy!

Comment by bostonbibliophile1 | April 30, 2014 | Reply

6. I can’t wait to try The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. Everyone has seemed to enjoy this one.

Comment by diane | May 1, 2014 | Reply

7. You’re a star Stacy, I haven’t kept up with all your A-Z posts but I’ve really enjoyed the posts I’ve seen. Cheers on your awesome effort! I enjoyed Zero Dark Thirty too

Comment by Teddyree | May 1, 2014 | Reply

8. Steve Zahn is soooo good! Happy Texas is one of my favorites and Sahara, such a good job. Daddy Day Care is also fabulous with him 🙂 The Shadow of the Wind was so great too 🙂

Congrats on blogging daily! Whew, what a feat!

Comment by Heather | May 1, 2014 | Reply

9. I was considering the suggestion of this Mr. Fikry book to book club but everyone loves it! where’s the discussion in that? We just read The Death of Bees and I bet we have a good discussion – I know one member DNF’d it, hated it after only a few pages. Not sure what she disliked so much but will make for good talk.

Comment by Care | May 6, 2014 | Reply

10. This one is definitely one of my faves for the year. And what a fabulous idea making a television show out of it! Who would have play A.J.? I’m thinking someone a little nerdy-looking but really hot underneath it all. btw, love the photo of you and Gage!

Comment by thenovellife1 | May 9, 2014 | Reply

11. […] The Storied Life of AJ Fikry […]

Pingback by 2014 Book Favorites and Stats « Stacy's Books | December 31, 2014 | Reply