G is for Gabaldon Grants Gilbert Glass Grapes

Blogging from A to Z

The Tuesday quiz will be the next post!

actorCary Grant

A few fun facts about the suave Archibald Leach…He was born in England in 1904.  When we was 12 his mother suffered a severe nervous breakdown so he ran away at 13 and joined Bob Pender’s Troupe, but his father found him and brought him home.  A year and half later he rejoined the troupe (with his father’s blessing) and travelled around England before the troupe headed to New York City in 1920. He worked as a stilt walker at Coney Island and as an audience plant with a mind-reading act before working on Broadway. He became a US citizen in 1942.  Married five times, divorced four and the father of one child.  He died in 1986 at the age of 82 of a stroke.

My favorite Cary movie if The Philadelphia Story.  Do you have a favorite?

bookThe Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

Jeannette writes about her childhood traveling from state to state with her parents and three siblings.  She starts by telling her first memory, when she was boiling hotdogs and caught herself on fire – at the age of three.  She spends six weeks in the hospital before her father breaks her out.  So begins the adventure that is her life.  The children grow up in extreme poverty.

It is the even-handed way that Walls tells her story that makes this book so wonderful.  She is not bitter or pointing fingers.  During her childhood years she and her siblings accepted their life and their parents and it was only later after  a move to West Virginia when things became unbearable that she became frustrated.  I am in such awe of her ability to come out of her situation intact and successful.  I don’t really want to spoil too many details because I think once you start reading it you won’t be able to put it down and at 288 pages it won’t take you long to finish.  Cannot recommend it highly enough.

authorDiana Gabaldon

I read the first four books in her Outlander series back to back and this was no small feet since they were all 600+ pages.  I also read them at a time when I was still working for Barnes & Noble and hand sold these to many customers, even quite a few men!  It has romance and adventure, history, war and time travel.  I met her at a book signing and she was smart and beautiful, add that to talented and she’s an easy pick!

movieWhat’s Eating Gilbert Grape, 1993

Usually I fall in love with the performances or the story, but in this case I can’t choose one because I loved them both.  Obviously, Johnny Depp is going to give you a good performance and this is one of his most normal roles.  He plays a long-suffering man of the house struggling to keep it all together with little thought to his needs.  But DiCaprio’s Arnie equally shines and he was more than deserving of the Academy Award nomination.  This was Leonardo before Titanic and showing his acting chops.  I was amazed at what he pulled off.  Those two performances alone make this movie a must see.

April 8, 2014 - Posted by | Blogging from A-Z | ,

1. Has there ever been anyone as suave and sophisticated as Cary Grant? *Sigh* I loved The Glass Castle too.

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 8, 2014 | Reply

• Nope, Cary Grant was the one and only. Clooney tries though 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 9, 2014 | Reply

2. Diana is a favorite author of mine as well.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | April 8, 2014 | Reply

3. First of all, I think what you’re doing is extremely cool. It takes a lot of thought and work to get through the alphabet. And I, for one, look forward to your selections. Secondly, The Glass Castle is one of my top 12 all-time. When I do my book recommending, I always include it.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | April 8, 2014 | Reply

• Thanks, a-z has been a great mental exercise for me! I love The Glass Castle and need a reread soon.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 9, 2014 | Reply

4. I love Cary Grant to bits. He had such style.

Happy A to Z-ing.

Comment by Elin Gregory | April 8, 2014 | Reply

• He was a class act (except to maybe his wives ;))

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 9, 2014 | Reply

• Poor ladies. How on earth could they have competed with Randolph Scott?

Comment by Elin Gregory | April 10, 2014

5. Archibald Leach! He’s one of my favorites. Arsenic and Old Lace and An Affair to Remember are probably my favorites with him.

The Glass Castle was a great read but a bit depressing and uninspiring at the end but I would read it again and recommend it to all, though.

I have yet to read her series. I have the first one on my shelf but I hear their are some disturbing scenes in it that I might not like so I’ve been hesitating. One day, hopefully.

What’s Eating Gilbert is definitely one of my fave films. Everyone gives amazing performances and the story is so beautiful.

Great ones today, Stacy!

Comment by Heather | April 8, 2014 | Reply

6. Okay, you really need to get to Outlander. There are disturbing scenes, but that’s a small part of a very large, awesome book 🙂 I don’t know if I’ve seen Arsenic & Old Lace, but I liked An Affair to Remember too. The end was soo romantic.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 9, 2014 | Reply

7. That would be North by Northwest.

Comment by Tony Laplume | April 9, 2014 | Reply

• Ah, yes, another great one. It’s been too long since I’ve seen it or else I may have thought of it!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 9, 2014 | Reply

8. I always loved Carry Grant.

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | April 12, 2014 | Reply

9. I really enjoy seeing Cary Grant in movies too. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape is such a great movie. It was such a quiet movie, but it was good on so many levels.

I haven’t read anything by Diana Gabaldon, and haven’t really had any desire to, I confess. I know she’s a favorite of just about everyone’s.

I really liked the outcome of Glass Castle, and how resilient and positive the author came out of it all. The neglect and abuse she suffered wasn’t all that different or even as bad as other situations from what I hear about every day and so it had less of an impact on me as it did for many readers, however. Not that I am minimizing what happened to her; just that I wasn’t as shocked by it.

Comment by Literary Feline | April 14, 2014 | Reply