F is for Four Freeman Foresters Fellowship

Blogging from A to Z

movieFour Weddings and a Funeral, 1994

This British comedy has an outstanding cast, not all of whom I was familiar with, and the humor is sometimes more subtle than in-your-face.  You really have to pay attention to appreciate all of the details.  Hugh Grant is the core of the movie but it is really the supporing cast who makes it so much fun – Kristin Scott Thomas, John Hannah, Andie McDowell, Simon Callow, James Fleet.

Watch it and get ready for wedding season 🙂

bookFellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien

I read this for a college class and loved it, this was way before the movies came out and I fell in love with them.  I didn’t have much experience with science fiction or fantasy and I was immediately drawn into Tolkien’s Middle Earth and the many adventures that awaited me there.  I should note that I’ve only read this first one.  I’ve tried to read The Two Towers several times over the years and have never made it past halfway before setting it aside.

actorMorgan Freeman

Is there anything he can’t do onscreen? He elevates every movie that he’s in, even when it’s a smaller part.  My five favorite Freeman roles would be 1.’Red” (Shawshank Redemption)  2.Somerset (Se7en)  3.John Rawlings (Glory)  4.Joe Clark (Lean on Me)  5. Fox (Batman trilogy)  What’s yours?

authorE.M. Forster

I’ve only read two books by Forster.  I read A Room with a View in 2011 and this is what I wrote.

I loved this short gem of a romance.  It addresses a young woman’s coming of age during the early 1900′s, a time that demanded little from her.  Lucy knew she wanted more, but she didn’t know what more meant.  Because she was scared of her feelings for a man who did not follow society’s rules she fled home to the security of a place that told her what her place was in the world.

I loved Lucy’s transformation and the humor Forster used to make this book fun and still important.  I loved the whole thing and was especially charmed by the end.

Until I went back and read that I had forgotten I liked it that much.  I read Howard’s End in 2005, pre-blogging, and parts of that story have stayed with me over the years.  Given these two books I feel good about my F choice.  I need to read his most well know work, A Passage to India.  Have you read it?

April 7, 2014 - Posted by | Blogging from A-Z

1. I’ve never seen Four Weddings and a Funeral but I do like that kind of humor.

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 7, 2014 | Reply

• Oh, I think you would really like it, Kathy!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 8, 2014 | Reply

2. I love LoTR! The only Forster I’ve read is Passage to India.

Comment by Word Lily | April 7, 2014 | Reply

• I need to get to Passage to India soon.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 8, 2014 | Reply

3. Four Weddings has been on my list for awhile now. Gotta see it. Love me some Hugh Grant. I fell in love with the Hobbit way back when and I started reading the LoTR series as the movies were coming out. I made it to Return of the King but couldn’t get past the first 100 pages or so. Still fascinating even if a bit tedious in the details. Morgan Freeman! Love him. Red in Shawshank, Mandela in Invictus, and when he narrates anything like March of the Penguins and that science series Through the Wormhole. I’ve the movies Room with a View and Howard’s End but not any of the books. There on the list, though!

Comment by Heather | April 7, 2014 | Reply

• Jason listens to Through the Wormhole in bed to help him sleep so I get to listen to Freeman’s voice often 🙂 I never read The Hobbit so I’m enjoying the movies because I really don’t know what to expect! I find Hugh Grant charming too 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 8, 2014 | Reply

4. Yes! Adore Morgan Freeman. I haven’t read the Tolkien books but really should. I read The Hobbit YEARS ago and keep meaning to re-read that one as well. I’m so terrible at series books.

Comment by Trish | April 7, 2014 | Reply

• I haven’t even read The Hobbit. I tend to avoid series books these days because it’s too much of a commitment 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 8, 2014 | Reply

5. I love your alphabet plan. I may “borrow” your idea – or a version of it.

I’m interested to see what else you list.

Comment by Tami | April 7, 2014 | Reply

6. I like Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption. He caught my attention in that one….I have yet to read a book by Forester. I’m sure I’d enjoy them because I’ve enjoyed the movies.

The View from the Top of the Ladder

Comment by Su-sieee! Mac | April 7, 2014 | Reply

• I still haven’t seen the movies of Forester’s books. I need to get on that!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 8, 2014 | Reply

7. Freeman’s God in Bruce Almighty. It’s goood.

Comment by Tony Laplume | April 8, 2014 | Reply

• He was great in that! I often forget about that performance because I didn’t really like the movie. I loved him as God though, LOL.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 8, 2014 | Reply

8. I really need to see Four Weddings and a Funeral again. I wasn’t impressed the first time I saw it, but so many people loved it. I loved the Lord of the Rings books. My husband encouraged me to read it after I saw the first movie, and I fell in love instantly.

Morgan Freeman is awesome.

Comment by Literary Feline | April 14, 2014 | Reply