Sundays with Gage – Puzzling

Gage is high maintenance, always has been, starting with the colic that seemed to last forever (but in reality only six months until we got him on acid reflux medication).  When he was diagnosed on the spectrum there was almost a lessening of the burden of guilt for me and the fact that I found mothering so, so hard.  I had some answers as to why it was so difficult to engage him or why he didn’t really seem to care what I was doing.  He’s wired a little differently, that’s all.  With all of the differently therapies he’s been doing this past year, there has been a huge improvement.  He’s always liked to play by himself, but now he wants us to play with him, more than just be entertained by us.

The biggest improvement has come because we’ve changed our thought process.  Gage needs to be actively engaged all of the time so we adjust to what we can engage him in.  It’s tiring.  So, imagine my happy dance when Gage found a 500 piece puzzle buried under a pile of odds and ends on our dining room table.  I had started it one ambitious day probably a year and a half ago, but it’s sat untouched since then.  Gage found a few stray pieces and pulled out the chair and said “Mommy’s puzzle”.  He was ready to work!  I cleaned off the table and we’ve spent about 20 minutes every day this week working on mommy’s puzzle.  He likes to look at me and tell me, “I’m a good helper” with a satisfied smile.  He tries the pieces and if I help him pick the right one he can get it in!  For the first time Gage has independently joined me in an activity that I love, not the other way around and it has made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside 🙂  Now, If I could just get him to sit in my lap and listen to me read  Inferno.

puzzle1 IMG_5270

19 thoughts on “Sundays with Gage – Puzzling

1. Veens says:

So so so cute! I know how tiring it is to keep engaging them. Aarya needs us to play with him all the time or keep him engaged as you have seen me write about it too. I get really annoyed with myself most of the time, because I keep losing my patience even before we hit evening lol! And on a holiday…don’t even ask. My biggest frustration is when he won’t play on his own or when he would not be interested in an activity I would painstakingly set-up!
    I am so glad Gage and you have found something both of you love….now if the same *magic* happens here… i would be so thrilled 🙂 As for Inferno… ROFL!

2. Gage's grandma says:

Adorable! I love seeing him help his Mama. He definitely got his love for puzzles from you. You & Jason do a good job of keeping him busy. He’s a lucky boy!

3. sandynawrot says:

I’ve got a kid who is ADHD, so I understand. He has always required effort to entertain, keep engaged and out of trouble. In 1st through 5th grade, I actually pulled him out of his private school once a week and put him a gifted program, which he LOVED. These kids, they are such a challenge but they also bring extra blessings. But I understand being tired!

4. rhapsodyinbooks says:

I love the bit about how he “found a 500 piece puzzle buried under a pile of odds and ends on our dining room table.” (However, it would have been much funnier if he had found it under the sofa or something! LOL)

5. postingfornow says:

Great photos. I’m glad to hear Gage enjoys puzzles. I bought a set of four small ‘cupcake’ puzzles for my young niece to help keep her occupied Christmas Eve., since she is the only young child. All (5) of the older kids, (late teens – to twenty yr. old) joined in the entertainment too.

6. Literary Feline says:

How wonderful, Stacy! I am so glad you and Gage have found this activity to share together. Mouse loves puzzles, but I haven’t been brave enough to try something more complicated than the really easy ones with her.

7. Trish says:

What a great way to spend time with one another! Would he let you listen to an audiobook while you worked? LOL! Though maybe not The Inferno. He looks so determined in the pictures. What a cutie.