Sundays with Gage – Where is home?

My parents moved into their current house before I started 1st grade, that was 1978.  I lived there until I left for college at 18, came back for the next two summers and for 5 months after I graduated from college.  The house holds a lot of memories.  My parents both come from bigger families and many of the them live fairly close by.  When I think of home that’s where I think of, a house full of memories and close to the family I love.  This past weekend we took a very quick trip down for a surprise 40th birthday party for my cousin’s wife (a fun time was had by all, too much for some ;)) and spent maybe our last night there.  My parents will be moving close to us next month.  I am excited for us all, especially Gage, but I will miss that house.

And this leads to the question, where is home?  When I say home now, will it be here, where we make new memories and have cherished family close by or will it continue to be the place I grew up and spent every holiday until age 42?  Time will tell.  Gage loved to go to Papaw’s house but it would mean two and a half hours in the car.  I can’t wait to see the surprise on his face when the trip takes 12 minutes!  They will be living closer to Gage’s school than we do!  Here’s the picture we took before we left for the party last night.  It’s full of great memories and the next people who live there will be lucky to be in a house so full of love.

house

January 19, 2014 - Posted by | Gage, Photos

1. Happy for you to have your parents moving closer. We moved many times in my childhood that I never got attached to a house. I am more attached to my friend’s childhood home! LOL

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | January 19, 2014 | Reply

• It seems I’m one of the few around here that didn’t move much as a kid!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2014 | Reply

2. Great post!

Comment by Sheila (Book Journey) | January 19, 2014 | Reply

3. That’s exciting your parents are moving closer! But I understand about memories…I lived in the same house until I was 17. Sometimes I still have dreams that take place in that house!

Comment by Heather | January 19, 2014 | Reply

• 36 years as home will be hard to replace! But am looking forward to having my parents close.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2014 | Reply

4. As the old saying goes, home is where the heart is. I’ve moved around all of my life and have learned not to get too attached to a house but still have wonderful memories. Having your parents so close will be wonderful for your family and will help you create the best memories ever.

Comment by BermudaOnion | January 20, 2014 | Reply

• It seems I’m one of the few around here that didn’t move much as a kid!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2014 | Reply

5. Stacy—you will still have the memories, but having your parents close by is worth do much more for all of you.

I’ve never been attached to a hime including the one we built and raised the kids in for 20 years…..gypsy here 😉

Sent from my iPhone

Comment by Bib | January 20, 2014 | Reply

• Your kids were probably more attached to the house than you 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2014 | Reply

6. Being that connected to a physical place is pretty foreign to me, since we moved a ton. Having your parents close will be awesome.

Comment by Word Lily | January 20, 2014 | Reply

• It seems I’m one of the few around here that didn’t move much as a kid!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2014 | Reply

7. I’m sure it will be wonderful to have your folks close by. I think “home” means different things to different people. When my grandparents sold the farm where I was raised, I thought I’d die. I couldn’t imagine not returning to the old kitchen and smelling bread baking, and I was horrified to think that I’d never hike through the woods again.But interestingly, it’s the memories that keep it as home in my heart.

Comment by Beth Hoffman | January 20, 2014 | Reply

• It seems I’m one of the few around here that didn’t move much as a kid! I know I’ll miss not going there whenever we go back for family functions.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2014 | Reply

8. We will miss the house, but are very excited to be closer to you! More wonderful memories await us.

Comment by Gage's grandma | January 20, 2014 | Reply

9. It’s wonderful that Gage will have his grandparents so close, great for you too. I think as Gage grows up you will start to consider where you are now your home, especially with your mom and dad in the area. But your “childhood” home will always hold cherished memories for you. You’re very fortunate to have so many years of such happiness and love at a central point. It sounds to me like Gage will have that in your home for many years to come. Lucky boy!

Comment by Amy | January 20, 2014 | Reply

10. Beautiful post! We moved a lot when I was younger, but my parents have lived in their current house since I was in 6th grade. So many memories… Gage is a lucky boy to have his grandparents moving so close!

Comment by lakesidemusing | January 20, 2014 | Reply

• It seems I’m one of the few around here that didn’t move much as a kid! Looking forward to my parents being closer for sure.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2014 | Reply

11. Its always so nice to have family close by! I think the memories that we create have more to do with the people in them than the actual location. (But of course the home, the setting come a close second)… So here is to making happy memories in there new home! and I am sure Gage is going to LOVE it and talk a lot about it in the coming year 🙂

Comment by Veens | January 21, 2014 | Reply

• Gage will be very excited to see his grandparents so much. I’m happy for him 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2014 | Reply

12. How cool that they are moving closer! But I know what you mean about missing your original house. I still dream about mine sometimes!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | January 21, 2014 | Reply

13. That’s so neat that your parents are moving closer, but I know how sad it must be that they are leaving behind the house you grew up in. I am not sure when I stopped thinking of my parents’ home as home. For years now my home has been wherever my husband is–and now my daughter. I wonder if it was easier for me to make that transition because my dad was in the military and we moved around? I only spent my teen years in my mother’s current house.

You will like having your parents closer, I’m sure. I sometimes wish we had family close by. My in-laws live about a 4 hour drive away and my mom is an 8 hour drive away.

Comment by Literary Feline | January 21, 2014 | Reply

• It seems I’m one of the few around here that didn’t move much as a kid! 36 years of the house being your go-to place for family will be hard to replace. I am very excited that Gage will be so close to his grandparents. And us too since that means more date nights!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2014 | Reply

14. “Home is where the heart is” is a very true statement. Enjoy having gma&gpa close!

Comment by Care | January 22, 2014 | Reply

• Looking forward to making this ‘home’.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 23, 2014 | Reply

15. home is where you make it. Your parents new home will be referred to as Grandma’s House (or Grandpa’s) You will refer to your “home” as the house you grew up in. It is the people and the memories that are important not the house. My parents moved three times after I left home so we have names for their homes–the house, the red house, the little house and the big house. It will be fun for you to have your parents closer.

Comment by kelley | January 23, 2014 | Reply