Weekends with Gage(‘s obsession)

When given a present to open on Christmas, Gage would take it and say, “There’s a train in here.”  Oftentimes there was, but if there wasn’t not much time or attention was paid and he wanted the next gift because it still had the possibility of  being the love of his 3-year-old life.  He’s pretty single-minded in his love for trains and we’ve attempted to get him hooked on other things and sometimes it works, for a day or a week, but the trains always come back.  In some of the reading we’ve done this last year it is often suggested to feed the obsession and we’ve been doing that but I am trained out.  Yesterday we took Gage to his first model train show or as Gage thinks of it, heaven.  Let’s look at how Gage spent two-and-half bliss-filled hours…

train1train2train3train6train7IMG_4993

He was so intent that he did not want to take time out to smile for me.  Trains are serious business!

Most of us are obviously crazy about books but is there another obsession that needs fed?  Something that you love as much as Gage loves trains?

January 5, 2014 - Posted by | Gage |

1. That would be Pink for me! lol…Boy he sure is intent on those trains isn’t he? I love it!

Comment by pinkim95 | January 5, 2014 | Reply

• Pink is good 🙂 I wear lots of pink and red.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

2. Aw, it’s obvious how much he loves trains! Has he been on a train ride yet? I’m obsessed with jewelry but it doesn’t do me much good.

Comment by BermudaOnion | January 5, 2014 | Reply

• We took him on a real train last fall and he really liked it!! On of his teachers told me today that he was going to be a conductor someday and I should just accept it now 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

3. The pic of him on his tiptoes with the intent look on his face is adorable!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | January 5, 2014 | Reply

4. A loves trains like this, too! He does play with other things, sometimes, but I know exactly what you mean about being “trained out.” In some ways I hope the train thing doesn’t last much longer here, but in other ways, I’d like all his new toys to see some serious play time and stay in the rotation awhile!

Comment by Word Lily | January 5, 2014 | Reply

• I think most boys like trains for quite awhile so no train toy is ever wasted!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

5. He is just beyond adorable, peeking over at that train!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | January 5, 2014 | Reply

6. Would you believe Stacy, I just bought a new wooden train set for Aarya as his birthday gift for april – all his plastic stuff have gone bonkers… and seriously this stuff gets the most work arund here. (Yes! I am buying all his gifts beforehand because I would be in postpartum stress by his birthday :().
    I am sure, Aarya would have loved to come with you guys too – definitely boy-haven :). These guys are so so so hooked to trains and planes and stuff like that…. I tried to get him hooked to other stuff too… but nah!
    There is this site written by a momma whose son is obsessed with trains – http://play-trains.com/ ; you should check that out – that site is like wow! I go there often 🙂

Comment by Veens | January 5, 2014 | Reply

• WOW! That site is crazy, Veena! Thank you so much for sharing it with me. I can’t wait to try some of the ideas – maybe one of them will help me like trains again! Boys do love vehicles. Right now Gage likes to put things on the track and run over them (animals, superheroes). The girl in me tries to tell him how mean that is and then Dad comes home and it’s all good. Boys!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

• I am tired of telling him that “some vehicles do end up not crashing everything in there way” just like “Most airplanes make it to airport without crashing too”. Well same here, his Dad and him are almost always crash and mash stuff 🙂 I have quit 😀

Comment by Veens | January 7, 2014

7. I love the pictures, especially the one where he is peeking over the edge. No doubt he was in train heaven! Cute, cute, cute!

Comment by Gage's grandma | January 5, 2014 | Reply

• That’s my favorite even though it’s a little bit blurry.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

8. Great pics. Some things (not many) are even more important than books!

Comment by Lloyd Russell | January 5, 2014 | Reply

9. You can see his enthusiasm in the pics….sweet.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | January 5, 2014 | Reply

10. Such cute pictures! Its great for little ones to have a favorite thing that they love! =)

Comment by myrecentfavoritebooks | January 5, 2014 | Reply

• No question what that is at our house.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

11. My son went through different obsession phases…dinosaurs, horses, trains (yes we had a whole huge Thomas the Tank Engine set running in his room). Now his obsessions are firmly implanted in video games, music and movies. I’ve never quite had obsessions like that. Books of course, and maybe lighthouses. It is good for kids to learn everything there is to know about something. They will carry that with them for the rest of their lives.

Comment by sandynawrot | January 6, 2014 | Reply

• He has dinosaurs he likes to play with too 🙂 I look forward to seeing if this obsession sticks!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

12. Awww! So adorable. Gabe’s obsession is Minecraft right now. It’s great to see what they love and have a passion for!

Comment by Heather | January 6, 2014 | Reply

• We haven’t tried Minecraft but every kid I know seems obsessed!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

13. I love his expressions! My son loved trains when he was younger.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | January 6, 2014 | Reply

14. My daughter was obsessed with dinosaurs at that age, which meant hours and hours at the museum.

Comment by Carol | January 6, 2014 | Reply

• I’m actually looking forward to museum trips. I fear they may end up being old train museums though!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

15. Aw! How awesome is that?! Great photos, Stacy!

Comment by Literary Feline | January 6, 2014 | Reply

• I took our real camera to get better pics but sometimes the phone is just to convenient to resist!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

16. How wonderful! I have a friend who has a 2 year old obsessed with trains! For us right now Garrett is obsessed with balls. It’s so funny to watch him carry one ball around in each hand. And then he has this big dump truck and he puts all of his balls in the bed of the truck and pushes it around the room. I love it! So glad to see Gage back again this year :):)

Comment by Tara | January 6, 2014 | Reply

• Just you wait. Trains are coming, my friend!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

17. How fun for him. Trains are a good thing for a little boy to be obsessed with. I hope you had a good Christmas.

Comment by kelley | January 6, 2014 | Reply

• It was a fun Christmas, the first where he was actually interested in the gifts and not just the paper and boxes!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 7, 2014 | Reply

18. According to everything I’ve heard over here, trains are indeed awesome.

Comment by snoozing on the sofa | January 7, 2014 | Reply

19. So cute! Glad he’s been able to live his dream. When The Girl was that age, it was all about dinosaurs!

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | January 13, 2014 | Reply