Weekends with Gage(‘s obsession)

When given a present to open on Christmas, Gage would take it and say, “There’s a train in here.”  Oftentimes there was, but if there wasn’t not much time or attention was paid and he wanted the next gift because it still had the possibility of  being the love of his 3-year-old life.  He’s pretty single-minded in his love for trains and we’ve attempted to get him hooked on other things and sometimes it works, for a day or a week, but the trains always come back.  In some of the reading we’ve done this last year it is often suggested to feed the obsession and we’ve been doing that but I am trained out.  Yesterday we took Gage to his first model train show or as Gage thinks of it, heaven.  Let’s look at how Gage spent two-and-half bliss-filled hours…

train1train2train3train6train7IMG_4993

He was so intent that he did not want to take time out to smile for me.  Trains are serious business!

Most of us are obviously crazy about books but is there another obsession that needs fed?  Something that you love as much as Gage loves trains?

38 thoughts on “Weekends with Gage(‘s obsession)

• stacybuckeye says:

We took him on a real train last fall and he really liked it!! On of his teachers told me today that he was going to be a conductor someday and I should just accept it now 🙂

1. Word Lily says:

A loves trains like this, too! He does play with other things, sometimes, but I know exactly what you mean about being “trained out.” In some ways I hope the train thing doesn’t last much longer here, but in other ways, I’d like all his new toys to see some serious play time and stay in the rotation awhile!

2. Veens says:

Would you believe Stacy, I just bought a new wooden train set for Aarya as his birthday gift for april – all his plastic stuff have gone bonkers… and seriously this stuff gets the most work arund here. (Yes! I am buying all his gifts beforehand because I would be in postpartum stress by his birthday :().
    I am sure, Aarya would have loved to come with you guys too – definitely boy-haven :). These guys are so so so hooked to trains and planes and stuff like that…. I tried to get him hooked to other stuff too… but nah!
    There is this site written by a momma whose son is obsessed with trains – http://play-trains.com/ ; you should check that out – that site is like wow! I go there often 🙂

• stacybuckeye says:

WOW! That site is crazy, Veena! Thank you so much for sharing it with me. I can’t wait to try some of the ideas – maybe one of them will help me like trains again! Boys do love vehicles. Right now Gage likes to put things on the track and run over them (animals, superheroes). The girl in me tries to tell him how mean that is and then Dad comes home and it’s all good. Boys!

• Veens says:

I am tired of telling him that “some vehicles do end up not crashing everything in there way” just like “Most airplanes make it to airport without crashing too”. Well same here, his Dad and him are almost always crash and mash stuff 🙂 I have quit 😀

3. Gage's grandma says:

I love the pictures, especially the one where he is peeking over the edge. No doubt he was in train heaven! Cute, cute, cute!

4. sandynawrot says:

My son went through different obsession phases…dinosaurs, horses, trains (yes we had a whole huge Thomas the Tank Engine set running in his room). Now his obsessions are firmly implanted in video games, music and movies. I’ve never quite had obsessions like that. Books of course, and maybe lighthouses. It is good for kids to learn everything there is to know about something. They will carry that with them for the rest of their lives.

5. Tara says:

How wonderful! I have a friend who has a 2 year old obsessed with trains! For us right now Garrett is obsessed with balls. It’s so funny to watch him carry one ball around in each hand. And then he has this big dump truck and he puts all of his balls in the bed of the truck and pushes it around the room. I love it! So glad to see Gage back again this year :):)